Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 05:53 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,508 times

Advertisements

I'd like to call attention to another area that's not been discussed here. That's the development above the village of La Luz that I refer to as "The Orchards." Not sure if it has an official designation or not. You access it by driving through La Luz and uphill on a paved county road. There is a pretty good graded gravel road that allows access from High Rolls.

The reason this area is so attractive is the unparalleled view out across the Tularosa Basin. Plus the fact it's much milder in winter, being on the west-facing slopes, and not that bad in summer since it's at the same elevation as High Rolls.

Another similar area is the community called Bent, just above (to the east of) Tularosa. Not sure who owns all the property there, or how available building sites are. There is a good paved road up Nogal Canyon to the south of Bent - but not the views that Bent has.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 11:12 PM

107 posts, read 201,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
One thing to consider; High Rolls requires air conditioning in the summertime. The higher elevations do well w/o it. And that drive on Hwy 244 between Cloudcroft and Ruidoso is breathtaking. Watch out for elk on the road after dark, though.
It good that you mentioned the elk. In Virginia years ago a large deer jumped from a low bluff beside the road right into the front-end of my VW bug. It was not a pretty sight to see that deer spinning through the air and sliding down the road. It died instantly and the car was torn up badly. The right front fender was jammed into the tire and was sliding as I stopped.

It could not have happened at a worse time. I was making a getaway from some guys who had just attempted to rob us at gun point. Those guys had elected to put their guns up and let us go when we produced our own. They were still within a few hundred yards of us standing in the road as I was pulling the fender off the tire to get going again. Long story short, they were facing an army of Forest Rangers within an hour and I was soon on my way to North Carolina. I go nowhere without a gun on me, nowadays.

Heading out of Timberon early one morning, I was especially cautious about the deer and elk that I'd been seeing. I was approaching a place in the road where the roadbed was cut through a low hill, leaving vertical banks about five feet from the pavement and about 20 feet high. I could see about a dozen deer on the right getting a drink from the springs coming down the wall. It was my intent to slow way down not to frighten them into jumping out in front of me. A jeep was coming from the other direction at a high rate of speed and I was thinking "Damned fools". And, what did they do? They honked their horn at the deer just as they got even with them. Those poor animals went crazy, running in every direction, some trying to climb straight up the wall and some falling down on the pavement in front of me. Thank goodness, I had time to stop.

I've noticed that the locals completely ignore the speed limits in the National Forest and seem to think the roads are their own Indianapolis 500. I spend as much time looking behind me as forward, to get out of their way at the first opportunity. Sooner or later their luck will run out though.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:49 AM

262 posts, read 781,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
On a golf course lot right? You're close to us within a mile.
I hope we can visit when we come up for the art fest. When We fly up, sometime in October, or early November, I'll give you the Eagle's view of the mountains if you would like. Brie

Old 08-11-2009, 12:37 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,173,926 times
High Rolls is only 500-700 feet lower in elevation than Timberon. I'm surprised that one needs air conditioning and the other doesn't.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:18 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,334,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorcraftbc65 View Post
I hope we can visit when we come up for the art fest. When We fly up, sometime in October, or early November, I'll give you the Eagle's view of the mountains if you would like. Brie
Sounds like fun. Looking forward to meeting you all.
If you're talking about the artists here, that showing will be Labor Day weekend and we'll be in Missouri for a few days for a 2 family reunion/birthday party but if you'll be here in Oct. or Nov., we will be here.
I don't know of that many artists in Timberon but there are Chilegal and Egglady. Can't think of anyone else at the moment. I paint pictures on stones/rocks but don't really consider myself an artist. I just do it for fun and something to do.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:22 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,334,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
High Rolls is only 500-700 feet lower in elevation than Timberon. I'm surprised that one needs air conditioning and the other doesn't.
I know. How funny is that? High Rolls is hot like Alamogordo. Driving from Alamo to Timberon, the temp finally drops in Cloudcroft.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,903 times
hi my name is marlene my sister and i bought some land in tinberon and looking foward to moving next year, where coming from a big city and just want to enjoy nature, looking to meeting our future neighbors, we will be coming to look at the land in september

Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I don't think AC is a necessity in High Rolls. And it depends on where one lives in that location. There are some canyon homes there that are in cool and shady locations that are more livable than homes that have a western exposure. In any event, nights are always going to be comfortable since the heat of the day occurs in the afternoons.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizo1104 View Post
hi my name is marlene my sister and i bought some land in tinberon and looking foward to moving next year, where coming from a big city and just want to enjoy nature, looking to meeting our future neighbors, we will be coming to look at the land in september
Hi Marlene,
When in Sept are you coming up? Where did you buy the land? Hope we will still be there to meet you, but there will be others to meet.
Jane

Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,407,318 times
Welcome Marlene and Sister! Lots of nature up here for you to enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico