Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2006, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,526 times

Advertisements

currently looking for land in the deming new mexico area.came accross a lot off 180 just out side deming. the pictures look interesting,can anyone tell me just what surrounding aera is like.is power near by/is 180 very busy roadway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 03:45 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,979 times
Nuzzo, I have only driven through Deming several times so can't give you specifics on the property you are looking at but I can tell you the area is very much a desert and Highway 180 isn't that busy. It has some traffic going up to Silver City but that is about it.

Old 09-16-2006, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,527 times
Default land in nm

Hi, I have half an acre near Belen, havent been down to see it yet, anyone familiar with the Rio Rancho communities, Jim

Old 09-17-2006, 07:23 PM

23 posts, read 62,885 times
Have family that lives there. They same Deming has been growing lately. That general area is very much a desert, but the area surrounding Deming is also a farming community when you look a bit closer. The hospital in Deming is small, and for major illnesses you will need to go to Las Cruces (not sure if Silver City has a bigger hospital). As you head towards Silver City it seemed a bit more "green". North of Deming along that 180, it looked more like cattle, so depends on how far out of Deming you were looking. R/E taxes reasonable. There's a big Walmart in town. Getting things built might take a while. Good sized grocery store in addition to Walmart. Don't remember seeing a movie theater, but I wasn't looking. There is a good camp ground SE of town if you want to check it out that way first. There's only 2 town in that county Deming and Columbus (by the border) and those kids commute up to Deming for school from what I remember. Palomas, Mexico, a very good Mexican Resturant just across the border (The Pink something or other) and they speak English. Also good dentists and eye docs in Palomas also. Got my eyes checked at a fraction of the cost (2 pairs of glasses and a check up for $180,,,, beat that in the US !!! and a perfect Rx)

Air can be dusty at times with the "Dust Devils" that seem to form often. Might be better for retired folks as I don't have impression there is a lot of work there. In some ways it is a truck stop along the I10.... I though family was nuts for moving there.... but after staying a bit, liked it - except for the dust.

Look for undisturbed land, so you can see if you have a problem with washouts from their "heavy rains". Standing water happens on very little rain. Family has mentioned how some people are bulldozing some places to look flat, when really they wash out with the rain. Be careful and watch the land before you build home or driveways etc....

Old 09-17-2006, 07:46 PM

Oh, I forgot to answer about how busy is 180... Is it a main commute road to Silver City. I drove along it during day, not so busy, when going to Silver City and sight seeing. Towards the end of day on return it was busier, but by no means a traffic jam situation. At night time from the mountains SE of Deming, I could see a steady stream of headling that family said was traffic on 180. Since I'm from a "city", I wouldn't consider it real heavy traffic but depends on what size property, and what kind of land use you have in mind, etc. you are considering.

S. of Deming towards Florida Mountains, watch for those rain washes. S. of Deming good residential lots, but again, lots of farming. Dusty when plowing, etc.

N. of Deming by the "City of Rocks",,,, go up Rt 61, beautiful trip, greener area up in the mountains. Plan a good half day though. Winding and very long road.

Family won't be back from a vacation for a week or so; can't answer about the power from memory. But that is a main road, and would expect power. Family is out in the boondocks compared to that and they have power.

No cable tv, no DSL when you get too far out of town (family about 12 miles outside of town an no cable/dsl). Microwave for internet available if no mountain in the way. Most roads paved.

Expect coyote, road-runners, jack rabbits, quail, rattlesnakes, scorpions, tumbleweeds, and wind.

A/C (swamp coolers actually) in summer, and if you set your windows right, just in afternoons for a bit. Some heat needed in winter. Last time I was there overnight lows in Jan 10 degrees, but warms up in daytime. It also snowed there, but it doesn't last long (it seems to evaporate).

Also make sure you have water rights with the property.... it is the desert after all....

Old 09-19-2006, 06:53 PM

228 posts, read 818,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy59 View Post
Hi, I have half an acre near Belen, havent been down to see it yet, anyone familiar with the Rio Rancho communities, Jim
Yep, sorry to say but the property is a half acre of nothing surrounded by nothing. Perhaps if water issues are resolved in the area and with time something might become of the development but for now you have the same piece of useless property as many others.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:40 PM

48 posts, read 223,768 times
Smile new mexico

when looking for property in new mexico I ran across a 5 acre lot just 20 min. south east of deming,45 min. to las crusas.on route 549.does any one out there know the area. on the net its stated florida mountin views, close to rock hound park.this is not in adevelopment,with power 1/4 mile at neighbors house.I would be purchase for retirment ten years down the road so employment doesnot matter to much.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:32 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,979 times
Tomcat, I posted an answer to your question on Deming on the "About New Mexico" thread. Hope that helps you.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:16 PM

Rock hound is a nice area, I drove thru that area about 1.5 years ago. Just watch out for gullys with rain coming down off the mountains. Everything out there looks at the FL mountains :-) Properties in the area vary from site to site, active farm, homes, trailer homes, etc. Very much a desert there.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:01 PM

48 posts, read 223,768 times
Default deming mew mexico property

Thankyou for all the information
its all very helpfull
TOMCAT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico