Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylee View Post
What about Africian Americans. Are there many in Farmington. What is the social life. Moving from Los Angeles CA.
According to City Data information:

Black alone - 254 (0.6%)

I lived there for two years, and rarely ever saw a black person.

//www.city-data.com/city/Farmin...ew-Mexico.html

The population is overall half white, with an almost even split between Navajo and Hispanic next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 09:57 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times
I teach in a Navajo school near Gallup. From conversations I've had with Natives, many Farmington-area Navajo drive all the way to Gallup to shop and spend money instead of in Farmington because of the perception (accurate or not) that the Navajo are prejudiced against and treated disrespectfully by the locals in Farmington. (Wal-Mart, etc.)

Old 04-15-2015, 03:53 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
I teach in a Navajo school near Gallup. From conversations I've had with Natives, many Farmington-area Navajo drive all the way to Gallup to shop and spend money instead of in Farmington because of the perception (accurate or not) that the Navajo are prejudiced against and treated disrespectfully by the locals in Farmington. (Wal-Mart, etc.)
That's certainly Farmington's reputation. From what my Native and Anglo friends who have spent time in Farmington say, it's not entirely an undeserved one.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:24 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times
There's plenty of it in Gallup also. Wish it wasn't so.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylee View Post
What about Africian Americans. Are there many in Farmington. What is the social life. Moving from Los Angeles CA.
I'm an AA woman who moved to Farmington with my husband earlier this year but visited a few years ago. There are more here now than there was when I visited, but still very few. When I'm on my own, I don't feel any racism here while out in public. Most people are fairly friendly.

I do get odd looks on occasion when I'm out with my husband, who is white. I just assume most people aren't used to any interracial couplings here, regardless of race. It hasn't been flat-out disapproval or anything. More like curiosity, I suppose.

When you say social life, do you mean clubs/lounges? There's not much in the way of doing that here. I think there might be about... three? If that. And the majority are more like bars than clubs. I definitely think ABQ or Santa Fe are better for socializing, but they aren't that far from Farmington if you have time to spare during a weekend.

HTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico