Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 08:52 AM

35 posts, read 107,983 times

Advertisements

Dear Chilegal - A little snow can be a good thing. Thanks for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 09:27 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It seems to me that High Rolls and Mountain Park would be a great compromise, but there isn't a lot on line about them. I wish that they were listed on city-data.com under Small Towns. I have been up and down that highway several times, and it is absolutely splendid.
Furthermore, if you have children, High Rolls entitles you to send them to the Cloudcroft school system, which is the second highest ranked school district (behind Los Alamos) in the state.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:03 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
mike0421: No, I don't have children, but living in an area with a great school system is no doubt a plus for everyone. Do you know whether or not the school system has a music program? As a professional musician, I might be able to get involved.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:55 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,527 times
Shadow, the snow out here is nothing to the ice I used to get in the midwest. And its a different snow here.

Catman, Not sure about Cloudcroft band, but Alamo's sure sounded good Sat night. Think about Tulie, CC and Alamo, maybe you can do something with all of them...
Food for thought..LOL

Old 09-18-2007, 08:09 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,583 times
catman, one of my kids goes to Cloudcroft HS - I just asked him, he says they have band and choir. He says the band plays a bunch of unusual instruments that he's never heard of. I'm thinking that might be a special program, but that's all I got out of him (teenagers!)

(Hi Jane )

edited to add:
Just checked the website - they offer:

Concert/marching Band 9th to 12th grade

Choir 9th to 12th grade

Music/Rock History 9th to 12th grade

(Rock History - cool!)

Old 09-19-2007, 09:13 AM

Dear Catman, Chilegal, etal:
Thanks for the feedback regarding snow and ice. I spent the winter of 1982 on an "all expenses paid very cold weather camping trip/outdoor adventure" in the northern part of the Republic of South Korea. Hopefully I won't get tricked into tents and sleeping bags in the snow again. A question about quality of life in Cloudcroft; how do you get out for emergency medical treatment when the roads are snow bound? Is there a helicopter landing site? Do vendors, such as electricians and plumber charge extra for trips out for service calls?
Shaddow

Last edited by shaddow; 09-19-2007 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: gramar

Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddow View Post
Thanks for the feedback regarding snow and ice. I spent the winter of 1982 on an "all expenses paid very cold weather camping trip/outdoor adventure" in the northern part of the Republic of South Korea. Hopefully I won't get tricked into tents and sleeping bags in the snow again. A question about quality of life in Cloudcroft; how do you get out for emergency medical treatment when the roads are snow bound? Is there a helicopter landing site? Do vendors, such as electricians and plumber charge extra for trips out for service calls?
Shaddow
Not really sure of a helicopter site, but I know they can land on the highway, its wide enough if need be. The highways are kept pretty clean in the snowy weather. I don't think you wuld be charged extra for a service call, but I have never needed one so I can't be sure.
Spent last winter in the worst snowstorm in Timberon. Saw a snowplow out on the highway, had to get the kids home from school.
We were without elec all weekend, and as long as I had the fireplace and a gas grill we rather enjoyed it. The elec outage was from the snow on the trees and branches breaking on the wires.
We had Jeremy come around on his ATV checking on everyone to make sure we were all OK.
Jane

Old 09-19-2007, 02:47 PM

Dear Chilegal:
Thanks for the information.
Shaddow

Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
chilegal, egglady, thanks for the information. I was thinking along the lines of giving private lessons on some of the band instruments. I'll look into it!

Old 09-23-2007, 04:24 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddow View Post
Shaddow
Can't add much to what great advice everyone has givin. They do plow and salt the roads (State DOT) from Cloudcroft down to the North Florida turnoff at the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico