Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,944 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved here almost 2 years ago and we love it! We had to make some adjustments to our lifestlye, it is slower then we were use to, but we have adjusted nicely. Found some nice restaraunts off the main strip. The first people we met were jerks but eventually we met the rest of the population and have made many friends. Not a whole lot to do in town but if you don't mind driving there is alot to do not far from here. Just start exploring and ask around, you'll find plenty to do. Best place for a homemade burger... Rustic Cafe at the Kent Quick gas station, best chinese buffet... Smileys at the mall, best mexican food...Tia Lupes across from the zoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 03:06 PM

15 posts, read 28,966 times
I know the area well since I have been in the area many years. I have always loved the natural beauty around this area from the mountains to the desert and all in between. I remember the blue skies and clean air and peace about the place, but Alamogordo has changed and has even decreased in population by over 5,000, I believe almost 6,000 people from the census 2000 to the 2010 census. There are also many vacant homes which may be a sign of the economic changes taking place in the country. The military from the AF to the Army have many projects going on that are affecting the environment in the area and there is great pollution most day and there is much noise pollution from AF sonic booms that take place even daily and multiple times per day very often. The quality of life has decreased and more project are being placed here that will also be taking place over private properties and public properties since the AF increased it's airspace to include the space over peoples private properties. There are those opposed to what has happened and is happening to this community and not just here, but many communities in this area. Even Las Cruces, NM is being sonic boomed. A google search will give you an idea of what is going on in the Southern NM region relating to sonic booms. There are less military members than years ago, but the negative impact is greater now with the noise and pollution. It's very disappointing that our once quiet beautiful area is now this. The dangerous noise levels will be affecting property values as economic studies have been done that state the same for other places that are on list to receive certain aircraft. The F-35 may come to the area and would affect 15 counties in Southern NM and Texas(12-NM, 3-TX). The F-16 too is supposed to come here and will be sonic booming also with the F-22 that is here right now and others that are doing the same in air space over communities. For those who don't mind dangerous noise levels and potential damage to your home investment, this may be an alright place, but for anyone who loves quiet, peace, and a high quality of life...that may not be possible in this area unless great changes are made that stop allowing the jets to fly over cities and town doing even combat training. That airspace over private properties has been turned into military ranges as what was done in small rural areas in NV many years ago with the government buying out some people from there homes and lands.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
Thank you for that information about aircraft noise. I am sensitive to unexpected sonic booms because they sound like cannon or bombs. My nerves have not completely recovered from 'Nam and I do not need the excitement.

We visited Alamo area a few years ago and were favorably impressed with the place. Socorro remains at the top of our retirement list but we still have to look at the areas north of ABU.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:02 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,157,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am sensitive to unexpected sonic booms because they sound like cannon or bombs.
I'm not real conversant on various military aircraft but the stealth planes that were once stationed at Holloman AFB in Alamogordo did indeed create "blast-like" sonic booms that could make one think the roof was caving in.

Now the planes that are flying around in the area create much tamer "booms" - sound more like distant thunder and not nearly as startling. They often perform what apparently are "dog fights" in the area skies with attendant jet noises over more extended time periods, but usually free of the sonic booms.

It's worth noting that the German Air Force also keeps a squadron at Holloman and they also do low-level training over the desert area of the Tularosa Basin and central highlands.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:57 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,334,139 times
I don't remember where I heard this from but if a sonic boom cracks the window in your house or does some other kind of damage, they will replace it.
That's what I heard anyway.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I don't remember where I heard this from but if a sonic boom cracks the window in your house or does some other kind of damage, they will replace it.
At some places, in the past, they have...

I have filed a few claims against the government in the past, just do the paperwork, wait your turn....

Rich

Old 03-31-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I'm not real conversant on various military aircraft but the stealth planes that were once stationed at Holloman AFB in Alamogordo did indeed create "blast-like" sonic booms that could make one think the roof was caving in.

Now the planes that are flying around in the area create much tamer "booms" - sound more like distant thunder and not nearly as startling. They often perform what apparently are "dog fights" in the area skies with attendant jet noises over more extended time periods, but usually free of the sonic booms.

It's worth noting that the German Air Force also keeps a squadron at Holloman and they also do low-level training over the desert area of the Tularosa Basin and central highlands.

The F-117 Stealth was not a supersonic aircraft like the new F-22 Raptor that is stationed here that can supercruise. There are others that sonic boom too including modified aircraft when they dog fight. The Sonic booms are horrific from it. They continue to damage people's homes, animals, quality of life,and even are hurting people. A meeting was held this week in a neighboring community in the mountains on the sonic boom problems. That community had been asking the AF for years to have a meeting. The AF hasn't even had one meeting here nearer to where the base is in the 4 years that sonic booms have been taking place over private properties. A man said he had a concussion after a sonic boom and others are having similar problems and complaints of home damage, livestock damage.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
They say they handle claims, but at a meeting this week where the AF was present and citizens who have been affected by the booms, it was said that the AF has denied 90% of claims made due to sonic boom damage and it takes a long time to have that processed, I believe it was over 3 1/2 months depending on the type of claim according to the AF legal expert present at the meeting. The AF is the one that will go out to see if there is damage and the one who determines if they will pay or not.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Thank you for that information about aircraft noise. I am sensitive to unexpected sonic booms because they sound like cannon or bombs. My nerves have not completely recovered from 'Nam and I do not need the excitement.

We visited Alamo area a few years ago and were favorably impressed with the place. Socorro remains at the top of our retirement list but we still have to look at the areas north of ABU.
You may check to see that Soccoro isn't being sonic boomed too, I believe they are in that area also. Furthermore, there are 2 other projects coming to this area that could affect the Soccoro environment and public, the projects are the F-16's which will also sonic boom and the F-35 proposed project that will do the same in airspace over private and public lands. NM has beautiful areas and weather, this is all very unfortunate for many.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:50 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winslow2 View Post
The Sonic booms are horrific from it. They continue to damage people's homes, animals, quality of life,and even are hurting people.
Do you have any real verifiable statistics on this?

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-20-2012 at 11:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico