Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:17 PM

18 posts, read 36,714 times

Advertisements

Hello. My wife and I will be relocating to the Clovis area. I have been searching online for (NICE) rental homes, but am not having much luck at all. Can anyone provide me with some good links that will help us find a new home? We do not want to buy as we may not be there long. We do however want to rent something that is very nice and in a nice/safe area. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 PM

312 posts, read 1,017,812 times
I know several ppl who put their homes up for rent.. and they were rented within hours! If I were you I would hire a realtor. Rent for a nice home in the good part of town is kinda steep. Just dont faint when you see 1600+ a month for a 1500-2000 sq foot home.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:01 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,115 times
To find something something to rent in Clovis, you're going to have to get open minded. The better houses have escalated in price in the last few years. If you are ex-military, etc. you'll need to kind of take this approach. Pretend you're in a foreign country (which Clovis is different)... lease a house for a more reasonable fare closer inn to the downtown. Crime in Clovis is non-existant in my experience, so if you lease a house closer inn to downtown... you will pay less and have a sturdy house to boot. I have friends who lease as well as own houses closer in to downtown and they have never had a problem. As far as the better houses which most of us like....... there is a gouge situation going on with the real estate in Clovis... so there you have the real picture... Best of luck

Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 AM

18 posts, read 36,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle View Post
I know several ppl who put their homes up for rent.. and they were rented within hours! If I were you I would hire a realtor. Rent for a nice home in the good part of town is kinda steep. Just dont faint when you see 1600+ a month for a 1500-2000 sq foot home.

Yes, this...

Are you military? Check AHRN.com and militarybyowner.com.

We just signed a lease on a rental, and we're paying about $200 more than we want to or should have to for the house we're getting. But we have kids, and we're trying to live in a certain area because of the school. I guess you could say we're playing the game in terms of being gouged (at least I know that the homeowner is military with PCS orders- so at least I know we're helping out a fellow military member!) We figure we won't be eating out as much (fewer options) and I won't be making so many trips to Target and bringing home more than what was on my list, so that will cover the difference...LOL.

The realtor that handled our lease was good. Quick communication and all that. Send me a private message if you want her info.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:21 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrecat View Post
Yes, this...

Are you military? Check AHRN.com and militarybyowner.com.

We just signed a lease on a rental, and we're paying about $200 more than we want to or should have to for the house we're getting. But we have kids, and we're trying to live in a certain area because of the school. I guess you could say we're playing the game in terms of being gouged (at least I know that the homeowner is military with PCS orders- so at least I know we're helping out a fellow military member!) We figure we won't be eating out as much (fewer options) and I won't be making so many trips to Target and bringing home more than what was on my list, so that will cover the difference...LOL.

The realtor that handled our lease was good. Quick communication and all that. Send me a private message if you want her info.
Most definitey check the above websites. There is a house for rent (and for sale) on a great street in Clovis (Rosewood Street off of Chanticleer Street) now. The military couple I believe are in the middle of cleaning it up and preparing to move to their next duty station.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:23 PM

312 posts, read 1,017,812 times
I saw 1 home for rent on my street... Linkwood Lane
and 1 home for sale... You could see the homes on Weichert Realtors.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 PM

Well, after being here for 1 week we have discovered that this community is not appreciative of the military at all. They charge ridiculous rates for rent in the area because they know they can get it due to the huge rental housing shortage and this community is not pet friendly at all. Almost every rental home on the market says NO PETS. Why not just charge a pet deposit? Because they don't care. They know people will rent their **** because there is no other choice. The Air Force should have let this base close when it was on the BRAC list. One of my coworkers went to look at a home rental (1,300 per month) and when he put the key in the door, it fell off of its hinges! The city is doing nothing noticable to improve the situation. There are no new apartment complexes or rental homes going up. They will sell you a home however at a crazy high price. If it was not for the base, this community would fold like a house of cards in a whirlwind. I don't know what to think about this place. My wife and I would like to find a nice home in a safe neighborhood, but they don't seem to exist. If you are moving here, stay north of 14th st. Anything south is the projects.
And there is the powerful smell of cow **** and the massive amount of flies to go along with it! The locals refer to it as the smell of money. What ever...
We are so frustrated!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:26 AM

74 posts, read 268,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Rumi View Post
Well, after being here for 1 week we have discovered that this community is not appreciative of the military at all. They charge ridiculous rates for rent in the area because they know they can get it due to the huge rental housing shortage We are so frustrated!
Clovis does not deserve all of the blame for this situation. I posted this on another thread earlier.

"Just some observations about what I think has happened and what I think will happen.

When it was announced that Cannon was getting a new mission and a net gain in personel what did Cannon do? They closed almost all of Gemini and all of the old Chavez Manor housing units. I know that these units are not up to modern military standards but Gemini had all new kitchens & bathrooms in about 2000.

Not long after that the housing & banking crisis hit. Many local banks would not lend builders more than one house at a time. When that sold they could start another.

The powers at Cannon strongly recomend where to and where not to live. With slow growth and high demand of course the prices on the recomended places are going to soar. Why sould I sell to you for $100 sq ft. when he will give $125? It is the only one I have.

If base housing had been left habitable temporaraly, it would have greatley reduced demand and helped keep a lid on prices. I understand that Special Ops doesn't want on base family housing, and the quickest way to get anything done is to create a crisis.

To place the entire blame for this situation on the local communities is not fair.

With housing prices at an all time high in our area and slow or no new construction in other parts, we will attract the attention of the big builders that have survived the housing crisis. They will show up and start slapping up subdivisions like there is no tomorrow. When they have overbuilt and the bottom falls out of the market like the rest of the country, they will go broke or pack up and leave for the next boom town owing the locals money.

Many of the people transfering here can't sell their old house or have to sell it for less than they owe on it. When the time comes for them to transfer out, I can see that happening to them again.

Just my opinion."

The government is now in negotiaions with contractors for privitizing military housing which will include tearing down the remaining on base housing & building 676 new units off the base.
I don't want build rentals because I can't compete with the government. They don't have to make a profit.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:34 PM

It is funny though that the Mayor of your town is also the owner of one of the largest realtor offices in town. I have heard of the "shifty fifty" here in Clovis and they are those that run the town and that are also suspected by many of profiteering off of Cannon AFB. Also, the same ones that are against builders building apartment complexes in the area. That would of course cut into the housing sales. This community fought against the base closure, but now they are making their big profits off of the base. There are hundreds of families inbound and they know it.
I don't know where you get your information that Spec Op's does not want on base housing. The
Air Force has been subcontracting base housing all over the states and that helps boost the local economy with jobs. In the mean time, keep trying to sell your homes at your ridiculous prices. The local community fought to keep this base open, but that was only to benefit themselves. The Air Force should have closed it down and let this place go back to the farmers and be done with it. Shame on those that are only out to fill their pockets off of the military!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:08 PM

172 posts, read 558,771 times
Bill,
It is frustrating finding a home here. You will have to keep on the lookout and jump fast. Pretty much everyone pays above their BAH. My husband is an O5 and we are even paying over our BAH. Unheard of anywhere else that we have been stationed. We are all in the same boat so we all know how you feel. Keep your head up and definitely look at the two websites listed above. They are your best bets.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico