Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:36 PM

287 posts, read 897,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner-On-The-Move View Post
Greetings, everyone. I have an excellent job opportunity which would bring me from Oklahoma to Gallup. Does anyone have any opinions on what it's like to live there? Of course, I've surveyed various websites, but it's difficult to tell much about the community itself. I know that the climate (and elevation!) will differ from what I'm used to, but what about the schools? Local government? Is it an attractive town? Any input would be appreciated.
Just curious how you're doing now? Has your family adjusted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,329 times
Default Gallup

I have read through this thread with interest. I may have the opportunity to work in the Mckinley Christian Hospital, but I want to FULLY investigate this before I consider it.

First, I am looking at a Christian school for my kids, and then a Good Baptist church in the area. If anyone from there has suggestions, I would appreciate it.

I live in NJ now, on the shore, and this would be probably the most extreme change I could make.

I understand what people are saying about the drunkenness, etc. BUT, is it like here where you can't even let your kids play in your front yard without worrying?

Old 04-01-2009, 10:29 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
This is an old thread, but skimming through it, the posts are not dated - information-wise.

There is a web site here: First Baptist Church of Gallup

They have a contact link. Perhaps, you should email them and
see what they have to say about living there and possible schools.

Just like most places, Gallup is going to be what you make of it. I've heard enough
people that say they like Gallup just fine that I know I could enjoy living there.

I like the out-of-doors, however. If I was someone who craved lots of
canned entertainment, it might not be a place I'd want to stay in for long.

I have observed that the low temperatures in Gallup and Grants tend to be
anywhere from 10 to 20 degrees lower at night than they are in Albuquerque,
but the daytime highs are generally within 5 degrees. It's not uncommon to
see temps in the teens in the winter.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:07 PM

129 posts, read 250,368 times
I'm interested in a teaching position here, so I'd like to know a little more about the city life. I'm from the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Area where there are lots of things to do. Are there any museums, movie theaters, shopping malls, and parks in the area?
One thing that I'll have to get used to is driving. The Bay Area is so good for public transportation i.e. bus, BART that you don't have to drive anywhere. If someone could help me out, it would be highly appreciated.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:10 AM

127 posts, read 555,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETButtercup View Post
I have read through this thread with interest. I may have the opportunity to work in the Mckinley Christian Hospital, but I want to FULLY investigate this before I consider it.

First, I am looking at a Christian school for my kids, and then a Good Baptist church in the area. If anyone from there has suggestions, I would appreciate it.

I live in NJ now, on the shore, and this would be probably the most extreme change I could make.

I understand what people are saying about the drunkenness, etc. BUT, is it like here where you can't even let your kids play in your front yard without worrying?
A great christian school would be Rehoboth Christian. Most of the drunkenness occurs where there is booze. Usually the supermarkets or liquor stores.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 AM

127 posts, read 555,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calispartan View Post
I'm interested in a teaching position here, so I'd like to know a little more about the city life. I'm from the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Area where there are lots of things to do. Are there any museums, movie theaters, shopping malls, and parks in the area?
One thing that I'll have to get used to is driving. The Bay Area is so good for public transportation i.e. bus, BART that you don't have to drive anywhere. If someone could help me out, it would be highly appreciated.
There is a shopping mall. Plus Wal-Mart and other shopping places (Home Depot, Safe Way, and other grocery stores). If you want more options to go shop for clothing, you would have to go to Albuquerque or Phoenix. Gallup has two movie theaters: Aztec 5 and Red Rock 6. Their are several parks. There is not a lot of options for public transportation. You would need a car to go around town.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:28 PM

286 posts, read 678,158 times
My beautiful ex-wife and I were there in 1995 for two days and despite my lack of fear...blessed with and my ferocious hand to hand combat skills...honed daily,I was on red alert the entire time.
We were followed on foot and via car often.
Despite the aforementioned..I love the topography for hiking and such...but Gallup is about people who do not care..a self fulfilling prophecy.
Never blame others for your shortcomings.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:41 PM

88 posts, read 88,158 times
Coug, I wasn't born in Gallup, but I grew up there for 10 years. While it has its fair share of problems, or more, there's also a lot of myth about it. I think you're contributing with the claim that "only" natives (and semi-natives) cannot have an objective opinion.

As far as the public drunkenness issue, states set what is illegal or not within a state. Has nothing to do with Gallup City Council or McKinley County commission.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:42 PM

"Navajo time" is another stereotype, just like "colored people time" is in the South, including the Oklahoma of the OP's prior location. Rural whites can be just as "flexible" about time, or late, as minorities.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:45 PM

Bigduly, you can also go up to Fedmart, or whatever it is now, if it still exists, in Window Rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico