Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 09:54 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have searched and searched the CD forum...but cannot find threads with this info.
Where in northern NM does the line end/begin, for having issues with centipedes, scorpions and other unsavory critters, in one's home?

Is it higher altitude, not north vs. south, that's the deciding factor?
I've lived 3 yrs each in colorado and montana, currently in CA...i love NM, but cannot do the desert proper thing with roaches, centipedes and scorpions. [which is okay, b/c I prefer mountain/semi-mountain].

So, aside from rattle snakes, what can I expect?
Thanks in advance for the info! (:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 10:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Where in northern NM does the line end/begin, for having issues with centipedes, scorpions and other unsavory critters, in one's home?
Such a line does not exist. But some places geographically are better than others. How you maintain your household also has an affect. Nice green lush forests tend to be able to support more wildlife than dry arid desert. But if you like bunny rabbits, then you might see more snakes and or coyotes...

You will get various replies, some will claim they have never seen a scorpion or millipede in decades, they may mean they did not look hard enough...

Quote:
Scorpions - Range & Habitat

Though most prolific and diverse in warm habitat, scorpions have adapted to a wide range of environments, including plains and savannahs, deciduous forests, mountainous pine forests, rain forests and caves.

Scorpions have been found at elevations of over 12,000 feet in the Andes Mountains in South America and in the Himalayas of Asia, as well as the Alps. In snowy areas, they hibernate during the cold months of the year. In drought areas they may aestivate (pass the summer in a dormant or torpid state).

About 90 species are found in the U.S. All but four of these naturally occur west of the Mississippi River and are abundant in semi-arid regions. The highest concentration of scorpions are found in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas.
Scorpions (DesertUSA)

Quote:
Centipedes - Range and Habitat

Centipedes occur worldwide, except for the Polar Regions, with the highest abundances in the tropics. Lacking an exoskeletal waxy layer that would protect them from desiccation, centipedes typically hunt their prey in the cool of the night and take daytime shelter in damp microenvironments, for instance, within stony crevices, fallen leaves, rotting logs, bathrooms, and basement corners.
Centipedes - DesertUSA

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-04-2010 at 10:12 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 09:57 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
I live at 7,300ft in southern NM. I've seen nothing around here... not even ****-roaches or fleas or ants... but you don't need to drop down out of the forest very far before rattlesnakes are more common. Centipedes and scorpions I'm not sure about, but I know there are some at ~5,000ft level.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry too much. I don't think NM is a hotbed for "pests" anywhere... maybe just different than where you come from.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:51 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
I had lots of centipedes in a basement apartment in Boston. I have never had them (or scorpions) in 20+ years in Albuquerque because I have been living in long-established neighborhoods away from the river, mountain, empty lots and other unmaintained areas. I once found a small centipede (dead) at my mom's house near Eubank Blvd., but I think another factor can be whether your house is built on a slab or with a crawl space. My impression is that houses on slabs (like hers) have more issues with bugs entering the living space. She had a nasty infestation of flying ants one summer.

I saw a roach crawl across my table at a restaurant in New Hampshire once. They can exist anywhere people live. So this idea that there is a "line" somewhere doesn't hold water. You just do your best to create an environment that's inhospitable to pests.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I have never had them (or scorpions) in 20+ years in Albuquerque because I have been living in long-established neighborhoods away from the river, mountain, empty lots and other unmaintained areas.
I bet you don't garden. Most of the centipedes I have encountered in this area has been while weeding around shrubs/plants which have nice damp organic composts...

Rich

Old 07-06-2010, 07:58 PM

293 posts, read 970,937 times
We had whip scorpions and centipedes in and around our house in Albuquerque (6200 feet in elevation). We lived in the foothills and backed to the national forest, so I suspect we had more wildlife than the typical city dweller.

Now that I live in Santa Fe (at 7300 feet), I haven't seen any scorpions or centipedes, but we apparently have black widow spiders, so it's a trade off!

Old 07-07-2010, 04:00 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
We got 'em both here at 5,400 ft in Placitas.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:34 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
I found a scorpion in my apartment once in Albuquerque and seen one under a rock in Tucumcari and I found a centipede in Farmington(NW New Mexico).

Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I bet you don't garden. Most of the centipedes I have encountered in this area has been while weeding around shrubs/plants which have nice damp organic composts...

Rich
I thought you mentioned in another thread you had giant red-head centipedes in your house. You're right, I don't garden, but I asked the gardener in the family who said he's never seen centipedes or scorpions here digging in the dirt in SE Albuquerque.

I once saw an invasion of millipedes in White Rock, near Los Alamos. Pretty creepy, you had to watch your step.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I thought you mentioned in another thread you had giant red-head centipedes in your house. You're right, I don't garden, but I asked the gardener in the family who said he's never seen centipedes or scorpions here digging in the dirt in SE Albuquerque.

I once saw an invasion of millipedes in White Rock, near Los Alamos. Pretty creepy, you had to watch your step.
No, I think I said I had found centipedes in my house. I do not believe I said "red-head centipedes" The last centipede I had indoors was on a bathroom ceiling.

I can't comment your gardener. I have seen centipedes in several residential yards in the Albuquerque area.

That's it, end of story. I am not sure what your point is.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico