Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:05 AM

10 posts, read 51,328 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I'm new to this site and decided to join to ask some questions. For a little background info, I'm 30, my husband is 40, and we have 2 young sons ages 2 and 5 months, and we live in a crappy small town in NW Ohio. My sis-in-law lives in CO and we went out that way for Christmas and really considered moving out there. I started doing some research and fell IN LOVE with NM. There are some problems though...my husband is kinda on the fence about it. He really loves fishing and is concerned with the lack of water around(however, I'm sure he would find a place to fish!!). I am looking around the Rio Rancho area, would love to see what NM is all about, I've done hours of research, and just find NM amazing! My husband is from England and is a skilled carpenter/joiner so was wondering also, if any of you had any insight on job opportunities in this field. I know my husband can see some of New Mexico's good points, but he is also concerned with the possibility of many not speaking English(which I understand that some don't but a lot do right??). I guess I'm just wanting any info on the lifestyle of New Mexicans and is it a good place to raise children? Thanks all for your help, I do greatly appreciate it, and hope that we can visit your beautiful state soon and maybe relocate!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 10:37 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,849,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbyMarie View Post
Hey all! I'm new to this site and decided to join to ask some questions.
Welcome to City-Data!

Quote:
My sis-in-law lives in CO and we went out that way for Christmas and really considered moving out there. I started doing some research and fell IN LOVE with NM.
Colorado is a nice state... A bit too cold for us. But we managed to come to New Mexico because of my wifes job...

Quote:
There are some problems though...my husband is kinda on the fence about it. He really loves fishing and is concerned with the lack of water around(however, I'm sure he would find a place to fish!!).
I don't fish... But we have fishing here.

Quote:
I am looking around the Rio Rancho area, would love to see what NM is all about, I've done hours of research, and just find NM amazing!
We, my wife, daughter and grand-kids live or have lived in Rio Rancho...

Quote:
My husband is from England and is a skilled carpenter/joiner so was wondering also, if any of you had any insight on job opportunities in this field.
We have people from England, some even in Rio Rancho... Jobs? That could be a problem. We are a poor state and have never really had a lot of decent, good paying jobs. Research the poverty levels.... My wife was a Federal Employee and was fortunate enough to get transferred here from the Washington D.C. area in 1998... And with the economy, she was recently offered an early retirement, so she took it. Me, I continued to work in the Washington D.C. part time, for a while which was a traveling job anyway...
My son-in law and Daughter have been unemployed for more than a year after 9+ years of steady employment.

So, my opinion, do not come out unless you have a good offer for a job.

Quote:
he is also concerned with the possibility of many not speaking English(which I understand that some don't but a lot do right??).
That is absolutely not a problem. Spanish is my native language.

Quote:
I guess I'm just wanting any info on the lifestyle of New Mexicans and is it a good place to raise children?
I can be a good place to raise children, I have relatives who went from kindergarten to colleg here...

Good luck to you.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:54 AM

How severe is the job situation? I have looked into carpentry firms around ABQ, Santa Fe, and RR and there are quite a few so am hoping to research them further. I am a freelance writer for a newspaper, but was formally a nurse(don't want to return to that occupation however, for personal reasons). I am hoping to be able to look for jobs first and see what is about, I'm willing to take a chance but don't want to end up on my face. You can't let go of a dream though, right?

Old 03-10-2013, 11:15 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,037,841 times
I believe that in order to make any major decision in your life such as moving across the country, you both need to be on board with it 100% or it will never work out well.

Some of your concerns are legitimate. Jobs in certain occupations can be a problem here, so you would need to educate yourselves on whether you can find jobs here ... and that should be decided before you make the decision to come.

New Mexico ranks pretty low among the states in the quality of our educational system, but there are some excellent schools in the state. You will have to do your homework on that, too.

I live in Santa Fe, and I do occasionally meet non-English speakers. But it is not enough of a common occurrence that it should be a problem. The part I LOVE about our Spanish speaking citizens is that they give me an opportunity to learn more Spanish as well about their culture. And living in this state, that is a good thing about New Mexico in my opinion!

We all make the decision to come here for various reasons: the weather, the multi-cultural environment, the incredible scenery, the architecture, the fascinating history, the sense of serenity and relaxation here, the food that is unsurprassed in any other state in my opinion.

But it is not for everyone. I know many people who absolutely love it here and never want to leave (like me). But I have also met some people who have come here and hated it and can't wait to leave.

So you will need to visit, and learn about jobs and schools and the weather in various parts of the state, and whether we have the amenities which appeal to you.

I hope you both love it here and one day will make the decision to re-locate if you decide this is the place for you....

Old 03-10-2013, 12:43 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,482,854 times
Quote:
He really loves fishing and is concerned with the lack of water around(however, I'm sure he would find a place to fish!!).
There are places around here to fish, although you may need to travel some distance to get to them. Here's the state site on fishing - NMDGF. Also see New Mexico Fly Fishing, Rio Grande Fly Fishing and New Mexico's Best Fly Fishing Rivers and Streams.

Quote:
My husband is from England and is a skilled carpenter/joiner so was wondering also, if any of you had any insight on job opportunities in this field.
Are you talking about custom furniture building skills/job opportunities? We were talking to the owner of a custom furniture shop in ABQ a couple of weeks ago who lamented to us that he couldn't find anyone interested in learning his craft. He also said they've got lots of work right now, almost more than they can handle. Don't know if he was just being talkative or might really be interested in hiring someone. Send me a private message if you want contact info on the business/owner's name.

Quote:
I know my husband can see some of New Mexico's good points, but he is also concerned with the possibility of many not speaking English(which I understand that some don't but a lot do right??).
This is not an issue at all.

Quote:
I guess I'm just wanting any info on the lifestyle of New Mexicans and is it a good place to raise children?
The educational system here is not good, although like everywhere parental involvement is key to making sure your kids get a decent education. I suggest you search for threads on schools and education here to read more about the educational issues in NM.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:43 PM

Anyone want to give me some statistics or high points to the state?? I know my husband knows how much I would like to explore this state, I just need a slight push on how to get him on board He does seem interested, but I think he finds the move possibly overwhelming, but with his sister in Colorado, at least he would have a family member nearby(the rest of his family is still in the U.K.) I just can't let go of this dream, I think it could quite possibly be the best move for our family. As for schooling in NM, I know the colleges are great, and as for k-12, I'm sure there are some good schools too, and I agree, parental involvement is important! Thanks so much for your replies!

Old 03-10-2013, 04:17 PM

391 posts, read 907,999 times
Nothing will make or break a decision by you and hubby faster than a visit to New Mexico. Come stay for a couple weeks, travel around and soak it all up, particularly after doing the research you now seem to be pursuing. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2013, 05:27 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,482,854 times
Quote:
Anyone want to give me some statistics or high points to the state??...I just can't let go of this dream, I think it could quite possibly be the best move for our family.
I agree with others about how important it is to visit NM to decide if it's the place for you. Most people either really like it or they don't, you need to come and find out which group you and your husband fit into.

See my lengthy post at //www.city-data.com/forum/santa...nta-feans.html that talks about why my wife and I love it. Also read the //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...buquerque.html thread. These aren't statistics, but rather personal reasons/high points about why NM and the ABQ area in particular appeals to some of us.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:55 PM

3,606 posts, read 9,074,198 times
New Mexico can be amazing, especially if you are researching it on the internet and looking to move out of a "crappy small town". Since you haven't visited, do so first, it may be a place you want to live and raise your kids, but it may not live up to the image you have conjured.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,872,162 times
Default Moving to NM

I suggest you add these maps to your research:

Benchmark New Mexico Road and Recreation Atlas - large format maps with sufficient details to find your way, to, form and around most places, also extensive lists of recreational spots

GTR Mapping - Topographical Recreational map of New Mexico - single page map with lots of interesting detail on back side

“Hidden Places in New Mexico” and “Off the Beaten Path in NM” are also useful.

The publications from the State of New Mexico websites on Tourism and Relocation.

I strongly suggest taking an extensive vacation driving around New Mexico looking at and experiencing the various regions of the State. Las Cruces is completely different from Farmington. As you are in Ohio I suggest driving out sometime in May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico