Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:52 PM

153 posts, read 759,536 times

Advertisements

So I have the monstrosity below growing in my yard at my new place, five of them actually and they were around 6-8 ft. tall when I moved in here in October and absolutely COVERED in dark, almost blackish-blue small grapes that were very sugary, almost like grape juice right off the vine. The birds were pretty much living under this thing in heaven. Plus there are two old flowering trees being used as anchors for these vines, plus some towering sunflowers,

Well I don't know a THING about grape vines, so I raked up the fallen leaves in the winter and then buried the bases in grass/hay. Also watered about once a month through the winter. Last month, finally broke down and hired a pruning guy to come out and prune 15 fruit trees and these vines. He said all had been neglected of pruning for quite some time.

Now I don't know what to do??? They are growing in a VERY sandy, fast draining soil and there are several gofer mounds on the other side of the vine (no lawn on the other side). The vines have been trained at some point and I started to tie up some of the loose ones that the pruning guy left. But I don't know if these established vines need a bunch of compost, fertilizer, OR if they are just going to start growing? I read in a book that they need to be watered once a week in dry conditions starting in Spring, I haven't started doing that yet. The soaker hose that was under them is completely rotted so I am not sure if a soaker is the way to go in NM or just keep using the hose like I am now. Please help!

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~rselina/Denise/grapevines.jpg (broken link)

Bad picture but all that green row on the right is all grape vines with the sunflower towers growing in there too, on the back side of that row is unlandscaped gofer ville that I haven't begun to think about yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 07:16 PM

946 posts, read 3,266,190 times
Question Grapes and luck

I have a grape vine and am doing well with it, but don't know if that is blind luck.

I keep it small and compact, pruning so that it doesn't need much if any support. I water it a couple of times a week with an irrigation system. If I had to choose between hose and soaker hose, I'd go with the soaker hose. But the New Mexico sun is brutal on soaker hose, so prepare to replace every couple of years. I fertilize once a year using whatever is on sale at the local home supply.

Get a lot of grapes. A sort of standard green grape, but excellent. The grapes don't get any attention from the birds. Different birds in Santa Fe? Different grapes?

No problems with bugs.

Maybe I am doing everything wrong??? And just lucky so far??

Old 03-30-2008, 07:38 PM

These were perfect bird-sized grapes, that is why I think we had so many different birds in them. The birds pretty much stayed until the leaves were gone. I'm guessing that since this house was empty for awhile before I moved in and there was no watering going on or a soaker that was being used last season that these grapes probably do OK on their own with little care but I am wondering if there is something I need to do in the Spring to get them going? Here is one of them, not sure of age, but they are all about this large around the base...

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~rselina/Denise/barevine1.JPG (broken link)

Old 03-30-2008, 11:21 PM

261 posts, read 936,372 times
Not to worry, the folks at NMSU have the answers...

Growing Grapes in New Mexico

Old 03-31-2008, 05:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Also ask about making wine from the grapes. The vines have probably been there for over a decade and should do just fine. Wrap the soaker hose around the leaf line of the plants and bury it to keep the sun damage to a dull roar.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the UNM link, I hadn't seen that one in my searches, I like that it has drawings too Now maybe I'll try to get that soaker going today if the wind doesn't blow me away. I am guessing these MUST be a wine/or juice/jelly grape as it was seedy and VERY sugary. I'm still a bit confused on how these are suppose to be pruned-- but the pruning guy already did it and I'm not sure if he did it correctly, guess we'll find out soon!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:02 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
I know you meant NMSU!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:55 AM

sorry. Need more coffee......

Old 03-31-2008, 12:03 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,577 times
Grapevines love to be pruned HARD. Take a look at a vineyard and you'll see that the pro's cut way, way back and select a few of the strongest branches to train. You probably have a jelly/juice grape like Concord, Catawba, etc. Grapes also thrive in fairly lousy soil and can tolerate drought...they have very very deep roots.
Sharpen up those jelly makin' skills, and get some cheap netting to keep the birds away.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:08 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Toxic to pets!! So clean up real good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico