Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 27,515 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody! How are you? I just wanted to know what living in Gallup, New Mexico is like. Is it expensive? Are the cops suspicious of you and bothersome a lot?

As a background I was born and raised (in fact still being raised) in Southern California. I live in L.A. County, about 40 miles east of downtown Los Angeles in a small, affluent suburb called Claremont. It's known for colleges, there's over five here. Personally I really don't like living here at all besides my friends and family are here. Plus I grew up here so there's the sentimental aspect. Other than that there's tons of *******s, over zealous neighborhood watch losers, and the CPD sucks nuts. I have psychological problems and have been harassed by the cops a lot, one time getting pretty roughed up. And I wasn't committing any crimes either, I was stopped for "looking suspicious". Anyways I love the Southwestern U.S. it's my favorite part of the country. Beautiful landscape, rich cultural heritage, and aside for Cali and Nevada, it's pretty low-key.

Thanks for the help, any feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 02:39 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,223,257 times
Why Gallup?

Old 08-30-2008, 10:57 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,035,440 times
yeah,why Gallup, maybe you would like ABQ, the cops really dont pay any attention to you unless you give them a reason too, then they might, just maybe.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:04 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,010,592 times
Exclamation Why Gallup...

There are so many other areas..I mean Gallup is so opposite of Claremont.

Have you been to Gallup? Actions speak volumes to law enforcement, I have experience in Law Enforcement. Most people are , well they just don't stand out, but...their is always someone(s) who do....
What makes you think your actions stand out??

A lot of areas in the southwest are somewhat small towns and the local PD will soon know who to watch.

Visit the areas first...

HW

Last edited by Hunter Wold; 08-30-2008 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: Incomplete sentence.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:14 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,223,257 times
I say "Why Gallup?" because other than being mentioned in a song about Route 66, what other exposure do you have with the area?

Do you have a cultural/spiritual connection?

Old 09-02-2008, 12:31 AM

3 posts, read 27,515 times
Why Gallup? Glad you asked. I really like the Oliver Stone movie Natural Born Killers and that's the city where their "journey" ends and Mickey is healed by the Navajo Medicine Man. I guess that also answers your question why the cops give me guff. I have psychological problems. First they said schizophrenia, then bipolar, and finally the doctors came clean and said they didn't really know what it was. I'm just a paranoid person, always have been. Plus like any other citizen of these United States I love my privacy. I guess it doesn't have to be Gallup, any NM place would do. A neighbor of mine told me his brother lived there and said you could buy (I can't remember the exact number) lots of acreage for $50,000. As opposed to Southern Cali, where a two bedroom tract home is at least $100,000 (and that's considered a bargain).

And I guess there is sort of a spiritual connection. I'm incredibly fascinated by Native American culture. My family and I took a train to Chicago one time and we passed through New Mexico and it was breath-takingly beautiful. I don't really fit in in CA, everybody here loves the beach and stuff. For some reason I always loved the desert.

Plus American Spirit is my #1 choice in tobacco, I think it would be cool to visit their headquarters in Sante Fe.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bugler View Post
Hi everybody! How are you? I just wanted to know what living in Gallup, New Mexico is like. Is it expensive? Are the cops suspicious of you and bothersome a lot?

As a background I was born and raised (in fact still being raised) in Southern California. I live in L.A. County, about 40 miles east of downtown Los Angeles in a small, affluent suburb called Claremont. It's known for colleges, there's over five here. Personally I really don't like living here at all besides my friends and family are here. Plus I grew up here so there's the sentimental aspect. Other than that there's tons of *******s, over zealous neighborhood watch losers, and the CPD sucks nuts. I have psychological problems and have been harassed by the cops a lot, one time getting pretty roughed up. And I wasn't committing any crimes either, I was stopped for "looking suspicious". Anyways I love the Southwestern U.S. it's my favorite part of the country. Beautiful landscape, rich cultural heritage, and aside for Cali and Nevada, it's pretty low-key.

Thanks for the help, any feedback is appreciated.
ok, let's say you are for real, but some of what you say makes me wonder: what is living like in Gallup? nothing like living in Claremont, that is for sure. The weather is very seasoable with cold winters, the enviornmet is different because of the diverse cultures. Even though you have a heavy hispanic population in the county you live in, you will find Gallup very different. It is primarily native American, with hispanic being the next most common nationality. Gallup is very rural, little shopping, lots of poverty and jobs are not easy to come by, but the cost of living is low. One thing going for it, lots of culture and certainly it is pretty in its own way.

Nita

Old 09-02-2008, 10:18 AM

170 posts, read 649,017 times
Not to mention that it's not really desert land like parts of the IE are. Plus you say you're interested in Native American culture, it doesn't mean that the Natives that live in that area would welcome you with open arms into their culture (in fact most Natives, as I am one myself, are not very keen on letting outsiders into their lives unless they get to know them really well, even then certain aspects aren't shared). I would suggest coming out to NM and just taking a drive through different areas and get a feel for what you like and don't like, and see what the markets and housing costs are like. Some areas are really expensive and others cheap, but aren't very great in terms of jobs or neighbors.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:34 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,424,279 times
I believe that Gallup has an enormous number of bars and drunken arrests/problems for its size. Maybe that's changed in recent years, but it sure used to be true.
Regarding Native American culture, I gather most of 'em have had their fill of spiritual sweatlodge wannabe's. Around the pueblo areas in north of Albuq. and around it, there might be organized ways to see some cultures, like festivals that are open the the public and so on. I mean, you can't just drive up to the Navajo reservation and take part in the local life. In fact, I suspect that could make mild paranoia worse.
Of course, the professional part of me thinks of possible medication for paranoia, regardless of the official diagnosis. It must be a difficult way to live from the inside, and the mental health care in NM is pretty slim to none.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:06 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,791 posts, read 4,158,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bugler View Post
Plus American Spirit is my #1 choice in tobacco, I think it would be cool to visit their headquarters in Sante Fe.
Yes, this alone would be a *really* good reason to move to Gallup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico