Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,171 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I'm a young art student in Savannah, GA. I have been extremely disenchanted with the big name art school I'm at- Savannah College of Art and Design. I've been very disappointed all three years I've spent here- the school is more of a financial institution than an academic one, and I enjoy the history and foliage of the city but still long for the west. I'm orginally from Oklahoma and I've visited Santa Fe and Taos several times; I can't seem to find much information on the college of santa fe vs. other schools in the area (or albuquerque) from a young students perspective. I'm highly interested in continuing my BFA somewhere in the area, but I'm looking for a place that isn't going to be all consumed by a bunch of partying kids. I know I'm going to find beauty in the landscape anywhere I choose in NM but I want a laid back place where people are maybe a little more forward thinking. I'm into the outdoors, arts and culture and good music, good times. Any one got any thoughts from this perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 02:15 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,071,452 times
College of Santa Fe has a decent website here: http://www.csf.edu/

And I think there are various websites that will compare colleges etc. Here's an interesting site that has student reviews... and there are a few on CSF.

College Reviews: StudentsReview : Over 52000 College Reviews! (3,156 schools reviewed)

Old 11-01-2007, 05:08 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggie127 View Post
I'm highly interested in continuing my BFA somewhere in the area, but I'm looking for a place that isn't going to be all consumed by a bunch of partying kids. I know I'm going to find beauty in the landscape anywhere I choose in NM but I want a laid back place where people are maybe a little more forward thinking. I'm into the outdoors, arts and culture and good music, good times. Any one got any thoughts from this perspective?
Try Texas Tech in Lubbock, Texas. My wife is acquiring her MFA there with a stress on printmaking and typography. Very nice and helpful people at TTU My wife stated that the professors ask what's going on in her mind, and have been helpful in fleshing out creativity in a constructive manner.

That was a stark difference to the cruelty of all those prima donna profs back at Kent State in Ohio, where my wife received her MA. I understand that Kent State is taking it on the chin from the corporate world and former grads there for for being a bunch of elitist creeps, using students as doormats.

Sorry, I just had to state that...I feel better now

Don't know much about Santa Fe's college. Now there's a place to go if you can afford to live there as a student! There is an elitist tinge in SF, but where theres money...

Old 11-03-2007, 06:35 AM

271 posts, read 1,174,782 times
What type of art are you focusing on? Maybe you mentioned but I am in
Santa Fe quite often and I'm not to sure about the art education there. It
is a big art town but most of the artists come from other parts of the country
to paint or whatever their speciality is. I studied art in California and Colorado
many years ago and then studied Architecture in Chicago so I could make a living. Now that I'm retired I live in southern NM and am painting. I hear a lot
of good things about the Art Student League in Denver but they do not give
degrees. It's patterned after the students league in NYC and they have some
really good instructors but I think it's emphasis is on painting and some
printmaking. For painting I think many artists just get a degree and then
take many workshops or something like the art students league in Denver.
You could probably call the Artisan supply store in Santa Fe and ask some
of the employees what they think of Santa Fe college and it's art program.
I'm not sure of their phone number but it's easy to find with google. They are
a busy art store so I would think some of the younger people who work there
might be attending one of the schools up there. Good luck. I always wondered about SCAD. I worked in Atlanta for 8 years doing design work
and made a trip or two down to Savannah. Tucson might also be a good spot. The U of A might also have a good art program. Don't forget Scottsdale. I would say it's second to Santa Fe's art market here in the
southwest.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:45 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink College of Santa Fe

Yes, College of Santa Fe.
http://www.csf.edu/

Years ago I took a two day sculpture class there. Hardly a comprehensive experience, but you may find yourself in love with the ambience. Certainly worth a visit to assess how you feel.

As for Santa Fe and northern New Mexico, if you can't find inspiration there, art isn't you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico