Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:53 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,404,494 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't rely on Zillow. I've seen my house (in SF) on there for a lot more than I could sell it for (and I've never listed my house.) Local realtors would be a more reliable source for houses actually being sold.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:17 AM

661 posts, read 1,249,384 times
Then how did it get on zillow? Was it being foreclosed or auctioned? I've contacted a few sellers on zillow and some replied and some didn't which probably means it was a bogus listing. Zillow does have some weird listings like rentals listed as "for sale". I contacted a few that listed a property as for sale and the price was so low that it was actually "for rent". So they do mix things up on zillow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I wouldn't rely on Zillow. I've seen my house (in SF) on there for a lot more than I could sell it for (and I've never listed my house.) Local realtors would be a more reliable source for houses actually being sold.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:16 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
Then how did it get on zillow? Was it being foreclosed or auctioned? I've contacted a few sellers on zillow and some replied and some didn't which probably means it was a bogus listing. Zillow does have some weird listings like rentals listed as "for sale". I contacted a few that listed a property as for sale and the price was so low that it was actually "for rent". So they do mix things up on zillow.
Some of the information is public record. They show the tax assessment of both of our current houses. They are close on our previous residences. They even show the residence I grew up in... They attempt to use that and their unpublished formulas to guess at the value. It is an estimate. Yes Zillow makes mistakes, I still use it as a guide. The other sites make mistakes. Everybody makes mistakes...

Old 07-21-2013, 01:37 AM

just wondering as well if a "land locked' house for sale is not a good idea to be looking at. It's cheap but not sure what the situation is with it. The realtor seem to just want to get rid of it since it is owned by the bank and is "land locked". I know what that term means, but not sure how complicated the situation is.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:22 AM

324 posts, read 715,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
just wondering as well if a "land locked' house for sale is not a good idea to be looking at. It's cheap but not sure what the situation is with it. The realtor seem to just want to get rid of it since it is owned by the bank and is "land locked". I know what that term means, but not sure how complicated the situation is.
Land-locked means that there's no legal access. Usually hereabouts it means your house is surrounded by a National Park or Crown Forest with no easement. In holdings are common in states (Wyo, Nm, Co) where the Feds own a checkerboard of land throught the state. I am reminded of property on the North Fork (near Cody, Wyo) where the cabins are on NF land and you own the cabin, but not the land and you cannot live there year round.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 12,980 times
I know people are looking for cheep housing,but they also need to consider the culture of where they are trying to move to, and getting things done right, this is New Mexico! and if your coming from back east and think you'll have the same results here, you better think again, I keep seeing post that they want to know about everything that you can think of except WATER! and the land scams are are among them, if your planing on raising a family here think again, ya it's pretty to look at,but know what your doing before you sign on that dotted line, if you buy it don't think it will sell quick if you need to sell it because it won't, just thought I would put that out their for you to think about,oops forgot to mention rattle snakes, killed 4 of them so far this month,but if you have arthritis the place is great,just kidding just know what your doing before you buy,

Old 07-23-2013, 02:26 AM

I appreciate this. I know what I'm getting myself into. Not sure if your screen name means you are from Chicago or have lived there. I had lived in Chicago for a year and it just wasn't for me. Too crowded, too violent, too cold, etc. That city gets things done "right" but you start to feel like a robot. The northeast is just about the same story. Time to check out the southwest soon I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceofChicago View Post
I know people are looking for cheep housing,but they also need to consider the culture of where they are trying to move to, and getting things done right, this is New Mexico! and if your coming from back east and think you'll have the same results here, you better think again, I keep seeing post that they want to know about everything that you can think of except WATER! and the land scams are are among them, if your planing on raising a family here think again, ya it's pretty to look at,but know what your doing before you sign on that dotted line, if you buy it don't think it will sell quick if you need to sell it because it won't, just thought I would put that out their for you to think about,oops forgot to mention rattle snakes, killed 4 of them so far this month,but if you have arthritis the place is great,just kidding just know what your doing before you buy,

Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 AM

Not sure how the house became land-locked. Someone had lived there before. Could be several reasons. Not sure how the seller (realtor) can sell the property when it's land locked. Not sure who would buy it either. I was told it is a gamble. How did it become that way? Not sure if this land locked property would be given easement when everyone holding it back might want some type of compensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
Land-locked means that there's no legal access. Usually hereabouts it means your house is surrounded by a National Park or Crown Forest with no easement. In holdings are common in states (Wyo, Nm, Co) where the Feds own a checkerboard of land throught the state. I am reminded of property on the North Fork (near Cody, Wyo) where the cabins are on NF land and you own the cabin, but not the land and you cannot live there year round.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:05 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,282,820 times
A house can't be landlocked in NM. Specially by Fed property. You may have to go to court to establish the easment but it will be granted.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:35 AM

All of NM? This property is in Socorro. Not sure what you meant by Fed property, are you saying all properties in NM are FED property?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
A house can't be landlocked in NM. Specially by Fed property. You may have to go to court to establish the easment but it will be granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico