U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 02:06 PM

44,884 posts, read 43,889,315 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I've been searching this forum for info on Los Lunas and I'm not getting a good understanding of the area. Some say it is a bad area, others say it is very family oriented, and that the commute to ABQ would be horrible. It looks like it is only 20 miles or so?? I'm doing some research online to try to check out other areas in the southwest to see if I can take the equity out of my home and make a run for it. The traffic and high cost of everything in So Cal is driving me nuts LOL. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 08:24 PM

3,690 posts, read 8,149,968 times
Perhaps this will help:

Los Lunas encompasses a fair amount of square mileage. While it has a history (county seat of Valencia County), most of its growth is as a bedroom community for Albuquerque. The neighborhoods vary, but the worst neighborhoods are really, really bad.

It is only 20 miles or so. There are four lanes of interstate (two in each direction) either from NM 47 or the exit on the west side of the city. Bosque Farms, Belen, Rio Communities, and other areas which house commuters all use the same paths. They are all growing, and the freeways are not. The commute used to only get bad when there was an accident, but it's now pretty bad, accident or no.

If you hate So Cal's traffic, I'd not pick Los Lunas. There are as affordable areas without that kind of traffic future. I'd avoid the metro area altogether if you like small towns. Maybe Las Cruces would be more your speed.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:36 AM

1,419 posts, read 4,540,032 times
Bernallio or Placitas would be great for you. They are roughly ten miles north of the city, and are both on gorgeous land. If you look in Bernalillo, then check out the areas by the Joe Boyden homes--that area in the river valley is gorgeous and well done. Placitas gives great views of the mountain.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:37 AM

13,138 posts, read 37,962,069 times
There is new housing and businesses going up there especially next to I-25 as its nice to see the town slowly become self sustanable and modern looking. On the flip side there are quite a few gangs out there as they have retreated from ABQ and gone to Los Lunas for a safe haven. I did want to post a news story about the gang sweep that went on there to try to clean it up and more are planned. Yes its about 20 miles south of ABQ.

The News-Bulletin: Nearly 70 police officers conduct one of largest sweeps in recent history (http://www.news-bulletin.com/news/75650-11-07-07.html - broken link)

Old 11-11-2007, 02:23 PM

44,884 posts, read 43,889,315 times
Default Thanks for the replies

I want to thank those who replied. Since I don't know the area that well yet where would be a decent area to look. I'm budgeting for a home in the 240 to 250k range. Hopefully in a newer house in a newer neighborhood. I've seen a ton of threads regarding Rio Rancho. I'm planning on coming out to look around in Jan. It looks like the weather is the "worst" that time of the year. Being a California native I want to see if I could deal with the cold. I know it doesn't get that cold but I gotta see for myself.

Thanks

Old 11-12-2007, 01:19 PM

3,690 posts, read 8,149,968 times
January will be very representative of a NM winter. Bring a good winter coat in case it snows.

Don't forget to give our fair city Albuquerque itself a look. There are neighborhoods to suit every taste (except perhaps those seeking crack houses), and about 75% of all housing in the metro area.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 13,483 times
We moved to Los Lunas from OC in 2005, we love it. It's so stress free compared to our life in OC for 20 some years. Less people less traffic and clean air. we love the 4 seasons. good luck

Old 01-13-2008, 11:15 PM

35 posts, read 124,937 times
The "bad" areas of Los Lunas are east of town in the Meadow Lake, El Cerro and Monterrey Park areas, referenced in this story. I took a tour through those hoods recently, it's a crazy, mixed-up mobile home wasteland, but really cheap too. Los Lunas proper isn't bad, the commuter traffic is congested, but nothing compared to SoCal standards.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:59 AM

13,138 posts, read 37,962,069 times
I was out there yesturday and i can't believe how Los Lunas is growing especially west of I-25.They just broke ground on a new school over there.

The News-Bulletin: Groundbreaking takes place for new Los Lunas elementary school (http://www.news-bulletin.com/news/77028-01-12-08.html - broken link)

Old 01-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Her

293 posts, read 781,969 times
I agree with gs2offroad. I actually live in Los Lunas. I know is a post by Terry Ray on the area that is spot on. Some may describe the area as relaxed but it actuality there is NOTHING going on. Much of it is a wasteland, dirty, and with rude people. there are some new houses going up around the Los Lunas High School, although if you have kids I wouldnt suggest they go there. As a graduate, I can say its nothing special and you can pass without ever showing up. I commute to the university everyday. Its not a bad commute, but then again i like driving very much. Its about a 25 minute drive. If the commute isnt a problem, id reccommend Bosque Farms over Los Lunas anyday. Its greener, the people are generally nicer and there are ordinances for keeping the city clean. Although most houses in the area are older id say invest the money to fix one up. The area is much nicer than los lunas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico