Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:51 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,398,783 times

Advertisements

Notice that the NM license plate is I believe the only one that sais USA on it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 12:51 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,183,084 times
Each fall, when the maple leaves turn red and I start getting ready to escape to S. New Mexico I get the same litany of questions: do you need a passport? Can we call you there? Are the Messkins dangerous? Can you get, like, regular food? Geez... LOL

Last spring when I returned to Michigan, a guy I've known for years (yes, he even has an education) sees me in our local store and says : Must be good to be back in the good ol US of A! I just asked him "when did I leave?"

On the other hand, some of my New Mexican friends think Michigan is cornfields and rusting auto factories and crime ridden "Blade Runner" type cities, which is so wrong. When I explain that Michigan has more coastline than California they think I'm insane. (Mich.: 2,147 miles, Calif.: 1340 miles)
But ignorance about NM is far more pervasive, I'll agree.
This is the east shore of Lake Michigan, 307 miles long by 118 miles wide, and 920 feet at it's deepest. Not a car factory in sight, but 1,000 foot frieghters are common.

http://www.lelandreport.com/upload/lr_10-13-07.jpg (broken link)
used with permission of the owner

Old 11-13-2007, 04:15 PM

203 posts, read 714,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post

On the other hand, some of my New Mexican friends think Michigan is cornfields and rusting auto factories and crime ridden "Blade Runner" type cities, which is so wrong. When I explain that Michigan has more coastline than California they think I'm insane. (Mich.: 2,147 miles, Calif.: 1340 miles)
But ignorance about NM is far more pervasive, I'll agree.
This is the east shore of Lake Michigan, 307 miles long by 118 miles wide, and 920 feet at it's deepest. Not a car factory in sight, but 1,000 foot frieghters are common.

The Upper Peninsula is one of the most beautiful places on earth. You're right, a lot of westerners can't believe beautiful wild areas exist east of the Mississippi...

Old 11-13-2007, 09:39 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,206,122 times
That's a beautiful photo, and I would love to be there in summer, much more than here in TX. Winter is another matter, although I'm sure it's nice to look at most of the time then too. Just not be feel, and try to drive in. I think parts of Tennessee are beautiful too, and all states have their natural attractions. But NM and Far West Texas (Alpine-Marfa- Fort Davis) are my favorites.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:39 AM

21 posts, read 93,932 times
Use to be that the United States had what was called 1st,2nd and 3rd class post offices,,
we live 200 miles North of the border in central New Mexico on US hyw.60
my grandparents had a 3rd class post office in our front room ,my grandfather was postmaster
Once a couple stopped from out of state walked into the US Post office (complete with US flag flying rite out front for all the world to see) and ask my Greman/Irish American grandpa 2 questions,,
1 If he spoke english.
2 How far to the US border.
when he told them the border was 200 miles South
and then ask them where they thought they was,, we some real confused idiots standing there saying they thought they was lost and on the wrong side of the mexican border

Old 11-16-2007, 07:30 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,354,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katpohl View Post
Use to be that the United States had what was called 1st,2nd and 3rd class post offices,,
we live 200 miles North of the border in central New Mexico on US hyw.60
my grandparents had a 3rd class post office in our front room ,my grandfather was postmaster
Once a couple stopped from out of state walked into the US Post office (complete with US flag flying rite out front for all the world to see) and ask my Greman/Irish American grandpa 2 questions,,
1 If he spoke english.
2 How far to the US border.
when he told them the border was 200 miles South
and then ask them where they thought they was,, we some real confused idiots standing there saying they thought they was lost and on the wrong side of the mexican border
He should have looked them straight in the eye and asked, 'how much crack you been smokin'?

Old 11-17-2007, 09:10 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,011,852 times
Default The state of NEW Mexico

Yes in deed:
Well after now living here for 8 months (Grants) and building in Fence Lake (No fishing), we are very happy.
Great weather, 60-70 still, Monsoon like day yesterday, most unusual we do encounter the typical situations.

I still get emails if we are still in "Mexico"...got that fixed.

Our mail has gone to 'Grants Pass, Ore'...got that fixed.

Did have some out of towners ask where is a restaurant? Suggested the local excellent restaurants--La Ventana, Blakes burgers, and finally Dennys..they oped for Dennys..too bad missed some good eats..

56 miles to go to recycle...ok...this area is still learning how to grow...

What I tell everyone...live here New Mexico for a while...many different towns, 'cities', villages, etc. travel visit learn..
Land prices still great, jobs well you have to work at that...but,
its like New York and LA, and other places are not for me...
The 'indians' Native Americans are polite, have patience (no horn blowing if I am not the first to get out the gate', and great jewelry work etc.

So, New Mexico is a great state.

Hunter
Happy Trails,

Old 11-18-2007, 02:58 PM

203 posts, read 714,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katpohl View Post
Used to be? Ask anyone relying on USPS Santa Fe... it just moved from third class to second... typical delivery time for a 1st class letter mailed from Santa Fe to Las Vegas (64 miles away)- 8 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico