Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:26 AM

4 posts, read 25,952 times

Advertisements

Hi, we've lived in Belen for 2 years now, relocated from the Detroit, MI area. We do like the small town atmosphere here. It depends how you look at crime. Yes, you do need to be careful but no different than NYC. It's not some sleepy midwest farm town. I wouldn't go for a walk at night by myself but I wouldn't do that in Michigan either. If you are leery then get a medium to large dog. That doesn't guarantee anything, but many swear it helps deter crime around your house anyways.

I haven't been "targeted" for being white. But please try to remember that when in Rome do as the Romans do. I think those that are respected end up respecting you back. Use common sense and courtesy.

It is different here and I can't explain it. The best way I can put it is pretend you are living in Mexico but under the US government rule. We would never move back to Michigan with the unemployment, pollution, fast paced life.

If you have children in school I think you will be okay as long as you are an involved parent. We have friends with kids in the school system and as long as you don't rely on the school district to raise and discipline your kids and just let them teach the basics you will be fine. Make sure you know who your kids hang out with and what their parents are like. Alcohol and meth problems are prevalent in the state.

If you have the opportunity to live rent free for a year I would go for it. Sounds like a great chance to see this part of the country and experience it if nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 02:19 PM

824 posts, read 458,560 times
I grew up in Belen and didn't lile it at all. The schools are terrible. However, you obviously don't have to worry about that as you will only be there for 1 year (before your kids go to school). That said Belen can be charming in its own little way. I grew up right off mesa rd. I have not lived there since 1993 when I graduated. My friends and family still live there and it doesn't seem to have changed that much. I would NEVER raise my kids there but could see living there sans children. I say go enjoy and have an experience! By the way I am white and never had problems (besides 5th grade.lol) being targeted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico