Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2006, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 20,545 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Mountain land in New Mexico, near Sante Fe. Anyone know what the options are - price per acre, water rights, community, etc...? Any good links to view?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 11,206 times
Smile Looking for land investment/future retirement

I am looking to invest in some land (5-10 acres) to build a home for our future retirement. I live in New Jersey and plan to visit New Mexico in the near future. Right now I need some advise on where the best investment would be to purchase land and hold onto it for 5-10 years. Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated. Some of the areas I have looked at online are Magdalana, Soccorro, Grants and Ramah. Thanks

Old 10-20-2006, 07:49 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Land is pretty cheap in the Clayton Union County area. There is some big development coming in a year or so, so now is the time to buy before the prices go up IMHO

Old 10-20-2006, 09:32 PM

827 posts, read 5,078,699 times
Four places come to mind for real estate value. One is Edgewood, NM. It is growing and will continue to grow because it is near ABQ and has all the pretty mountain scenery, but be sure you have property with a good water well. Two, Silver City is becoming a popular retirement city, so it will hold value really well. Three, Ruidoso has been and will continue to be a popular place to visit, live and retire. Four, Cloudcroft is a popular place and it is still small. I would caution on Ruidoso to buy land not covered in pine trees so thick as to be a fire hazard. It can have droughts and could be in a fire, so I would go more for open or pasture land and maybe some trees. There are others but these cities are a good place to start.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:20 PM

8 posts, read 45,315 times
Go www.realtor.com (broken link) and view the "find a home" box to start a search. After entering the city/state, next to the "go" button is a "more search options" button. If you click on that, you can select only "land" it will give you the results.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:50 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
North of Santa Fe, you can and will find many variable lots and prices. I have some friends that bought a beautiful lot and are nearly finished with their house building. I think a prime lot is close to USD150,000 for an acre. However, I recently met some folks selling multiple aces for about $10,000 - near the Colorado border.

You can check on line and read some of the newspapers in New Mexico; many have full real estate sections.

PS - I just remembered some friends have a yurt up in the Santa Fe Mountains - about 15-20 miles from the City--and I believe I saw quite a bit of land for sale up that way. I imagine some of that land, in the woods itself, might be reasonably priced. It is a tricky little road off Santa Fe Trails, but beautiful and with some direct road access right into Santa Fe's plaza.

Good luck!

Last edited by ontheroad; 10-31-2006 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: added some info!

Old 10-31-2006, 05:52 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,717 times
Water rights are a complicated issue and well worth looking into. Many water rights are based on common law or territorial codes from centuries past. The state of NM has not yet allocated the majority of water rights. There are Native American rights, Federal rights, private landholder rights, municipal rights, agricultural rights and so on. I'm not sure if NM has any mandatory curtailment agreements for fish and wildlife. The bottom line is this: don't assume that you can take as much water as you want from a creek or river that runs through your property. How water rights in NM apply to a drilled well on property you own is something you will have to investigate. 1000 Friends of New Mexico has made the helpful publication "Living Within Our Means" available online. Here's the link:
http://www.1000friends-nm.org/publications/living_within_our.html (broken link)

Old 11-01-2006, 09:07 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
Steve, what a good point: water rights! They continue to confound me even though I've read and read. Even now I'm not certain who has the rights to my water.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 53,366 times
Default Consider the Crime Rate, even in rural areas

Unlike in some rural areas of the country, crime can be a major problem even in relatively rural areas in New Mexico. The area around Espanola is especially notable, but anywhere from just north of Santa Fe, to well north of the Colorado border, can be a problem. You might think you're going to be living a peaceful bucolic lifestyle, only to find out that you're in a "rural ghetto" with crime and drug usage figures that rival the bad areas of some major cities.

Then again, there are some areas that are quite safe. Los Alamos, Angel Fire, and Red River are fairly safe, but are pretty expensive and isolated. There are other, more rural places, that are safe. Use the crime figures in the main part of this site, as well as other sites on the web. Also talk with people who have recently moved to a specific area, or lived there a few years, but originally came from somewhere else.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:37 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
Good point, kingrokon. There is a huge range of opinions concerning crime about many places in New Mexico; just look at all the comments made about Albuquerque! I would think that the statistics in the other part of the site are a good guide, although the particular neighborhood would enter into it too. No place is completely crime-free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico