Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 07:59 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,281,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
AZ evidently worked harder than NM to attract businesses, population, and jobs over the last 50 years, and Texas still does the same. And all I meant to point out is that AZ benefits economically by being closer to southern CA than NM, and NM doesn't really get much out of being next to west Texas.

I like it here, a lot, but I am retired. And I may make this state my home for a long time. But I don't see the business and political leadership and resources needed to bring in jobs to the state that I see in other states that don't have the geographic isolation and image issues that NM has to overcome to grow.
So all economic prosperity flows from CA or TX? Not likely.

A number of businesses in Arizona started in Arizona, copper producers, retailers, shipping and airlines, hotels, etc. The idea that states rely on outsiders to prosper is just silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 08:18 PM

686 posts, read 1,105,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
So all economic prosperity flows from CA or TX? Not likely.

A number of businesses in Arizona started in Arizona, copper producers, retailers, shipping and airlines, hotels, etc. The idea that states rely on outsiders to prosper is just silly.
So you must have thought the Brookings report was silly? NM is especially weak in the trade sector, weak in having something to sell (goods, natural resources, agriculture) to other states to bring in new money.

Go ahead and bury your head in the sand; there is plenty of it around here. Economic isolationism is not a formula for prosperity.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
So you must have thought the Brookings report was silly? NM is especially weak in the trade sector, weak in having something to sell (goods, natural resources, agriculture) to other states to bring in new money.

Go ahead and bury your head in the sand; there is plenty of it around here. Economic isolationism is not a formula for prosperity.
No, I mean exactly what I said. Arizona's economy does not come from CA transplants. No more, no less.

Likewise, ours does not come from TX or CO transplants. There is no magic solution where you can get people to simply move here from a prosperous state and the economy will improve.

You want to run down this state, that's your business. We do have problems - as you point out, we lack a number of advantages. But the idea that bringing in a bunch of people from somewhere else or turning this state into something else will magically fix those problems is just so much Kool aid.

There is no short term, easy fix for NM's economy. We could probably do better with what we have, but it would take decades of intelligent, consistent, and patient policy - far beyond the capabilities of any politico I've ever seen.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:14 PM

686 posts, read 1,105,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
No, I mean exactly what I said. Arizona's economy does not come from CA transplants. No more, no less.

Likewise, ours does not come from TX or CO transplants. There is no magic solution where you can get people to simply move here from a prosperous state and the economy will improve.

You want to run down this state, that's your business. We do have problems - as you point out, we lack a number of advantages. But the idea that bringing in a bunch of people from somewhere else or turning this state into something else will magically fix those problems is just so much Kool aid.

There is no short term, easy fix for NM's economy. We could probably do better with what we have, but it would take decades of intelligent, consistent, and patient policy - far beyond the capabilities of any politico I've ever seen.
Make your own arguments and prescriptions for NM, but please stop attributing things to me that I have not written or even implied. I never suggested that NM needs people to move here from TX or CO or anyplace else - NM needs to attract business to employ the people that are already here. Many other states are very successful at luring businesses, among them Texas. Maybe NM should follow their lead, or the lead of other states that have convinced companies to locate plants and other facilities within their borders?

And pointing out problems with the economy does not mean I am "running down" this state. Good grief.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Make your own arguments and prescriptions for NM, but please stop attributing things to me that I have not written or even implied. I never suggested that NM needs people to move here from TX or CO or anyplace else - NM needs to attract business to employ the people that are already here. Many other states are very successful at luring businesses, among them Texas. Maybe NM should follow their lead, or the lead of other states that have convinced companies to locate plants and other facilities within their borders?

And pointing out problems with the economy does not mean I am "running down" this state. Good grief.
Ok, I see that I have misinterpreted your comments regarding "proximity" to other states, and conflated your comments with some of ctr88's.

What I say about AZ's economy stands as it is though. Proximity to CA has an effect, but not as much of one as the abundance of resources and general policies that encourage or at least do not impede entrepreneurial activity. Businesses and investment are attracted to AZ by the state's success, not the other way around.

Could all this be replicated in NM? I rather doubt it, but I'll try to keep that skepticism to myself from here on out.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:18 PM

657 posts, read 1,341,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Here is a good letter to the editor Abq Journal that nails it...some excerpts below from the letter and a link to the whole thing:

Talk of the town | Albuquerque Journal News

"Businesses have been unable to expand for decades and their employees, for the most part, remain stuck at minimum wage, or a little above that. Even those who rode the lucrative wave of the tech industry in New Mexico are scrambling now."

"However, if you bring this up as an issue, our local spoken media and our politicians begin to extol the beauty of our mountains and deserts and the excitement of the balloon fiesta. The average New Mexican will stick his head in the sand when New Mexico’s economic deficiencies are mentioned. Some, as I found out, will get downright mad at you for thinking that we have problems. No one, however, will say, “What do we do to fix it?â€

"That is why this state is emptying itself of businesses and employees and of college grads who catch the first train out of here they can get a ticket on. The rest of you, who don’t have to make a living, can sit on your patios and gawk at the mountains and wait for the balloon fiesta to roll around."

"Forbes magazine said a couple of years ago that New Mexico was a state in a death spiral. New Mexicans laughed and scoffed. But Forbes was right. All that is left to do with New Mexico’s economy, unless we wake up and get busy, is to throw the dirt in over it and plant the headstone."

"There is an election coming up. I will vote for the person who can show me how they are going to fix this and how they are going to get New Mexicans involved in fixing it. Either we dig in or we get buried – or we catch that train outta town."

ALFRED V. PUGLISI

Rio Rancho
Well said...and its all true!

Old 06-29-2014, 11:09 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,708,414 times
I wouldn't say Arizona is as successful as people make it out to be. Sure the population has grown rapidly, but on a per capita basis vs. the rest of the US they're doing about as well as New Mexico.

(click on 'chart', select 'arizona' and 'new mexico' then choose 'line chart')

http://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTableHtml...029=21&7090=70

Arizona's rapid population growth may be masking other problems.

NM per capita personal income has hovered around 80% of the US for 50 years, AZ hovered around 85-90% until the last few years now they're almost at our same level.

When you include Texas and Colorado you see each state's position relative to the US hasn't changed a whole lot over the long term (50 years). When you look from 1929-1950 you see New Mexico grew much faster than our neighbors economically, since then it's been more or less in step with each other.
http://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTableHtml...ntofus&7090=70

Last edited by funkymonkey; 06-29-2014 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: broken links

Old 07-02-2014, 10:20 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,424,717 times
Some news on the ABQ housing market:

ABQ home prices show more gains | Albuquerque Journal News

"Albuquerque and the state as a whole have lagged a more than two-year run of year-over-year home price increases nationwide, according to the Irvine, Calif.-based provider of real estate data and analysis."

Old 07-03-2014, 10:12 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,424,717 times
Brookings: Albuquerque in double-dip recession - Albuquerque Business First

Brookings institute says Albuquerque in the midst of a double dip recession. A few excerpts:

“Albuquerque is one of the few, maybe one of the only, big metros to be in the midst of a double-dip recession,” said Brookings Research Analyst Kenan Fikri.

“The metro area continues to slide back towards its post-recession low-point and is now the Mountain region metro area furthest away from pre-recession peak employment in percentage terms,”

Old 07-03-2014, 12:14 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,897,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Brookings: Albuquerque in double-dip recession - Albuquerque Business First

Brookings institute says Albuquerque in the midst of a double dip recession. A few excerpts:

“Albuquerque is one of the few, maybe one of the only, big metros to be in the midst of a double-dip recession,” said Brookings Research Analyst Kenan Fikri.

“The metro area continues to slide back towards its post-recession low-point and is now the Mountain region metro area furthest away from pre-recession peak employment in percentage terms,”
That article was already posted in this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/35391116-post87.html

So, other than "driving by" and dropping it off, you have no comment of your own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico