Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 01:10 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,214,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I'm thinking (without a lot of proof) that Tesla officials will try ta keep the battery factory local in CA to save costs.
California has about the highest costs in the US for battery manufacturing. In addition to expensive labor, the state makes it pretty challenging to get air and water permits from what I hear. The transport costs for the battery assemblies will be negligible no matter where they get manufactured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 03:49 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,712,945 times
As long as NM wants more manufacturing jobs, we should work to get more German manufacturers to open shop here. They're not so afraid of union issues.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:16 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,432,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
You forgot Tucson (1.6%)

Also, compared to El Paso, ABQ fared better in terms of net migration.
El Paso net migration 2010-2013 was -2748 (ABQ was +1,516), and 2012-2013 was -10,500 (ABQ was -1,987)

American FactFinder - Results *

So I think the issues are more regional affecting ABQ and El Paso and Tucson.

Even Tucson doesn't seem as rosy at is might appear based on the net migration numbers.
Bureau of Labor Statistics Data
Tucson and ABQ are dead last in the West for large cities in terms of growth rate 2010-2013. Tucson is also a place that seems to be stuck in neutral or reverse economically. It seems kind of a bit backward and stuck in a time warp like ABQ. It never seems to modernize or attract any real economic vibrancy, despite being a place with a nice climate (at least 8 mos of the year it's nice), attractive scenery, good university. Both ABQ and Tucson have a very large chunk of their populations that are poor and uneducated and have higher crime rates then other similar sized western cities like say Boise ID and Salt Lake.

But Tucson is a "secondary city" to Phoenix in the state of AZ so they have an excuse, ABQ is THE #1 city in NM.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:33 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,432,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Or the parents could teach their children the value of education.
Any political action directly on education won't have much effect if the parents of so many students think school is a waste of time.
I think this is a really good point that gets understated in America. It doesn't matter how much money you throw at education & schools, if the parents aren't focused on their kids education it will all be wasted. It's interesting, two of the largest immigrant groups to come to America the last 30 years have been Asian and Mexican. Asian parents seem very focused on education and many of their children are incredible achievers becoming doctors, engineers and professionals as first generation Americans. It doesn't matter what school you put many Asian kids whether in the hood or what, they many times would still come out with great grades and test scores and go to great universities. I have seen this over and over in CA. This is because of the THE PARENTS focus on their education, not the teachers or money thrown at the school. It's about the parents.

Mexican immigrant parents do not seem to value education as much for their children as Asian immigrants do, or maybe they do not have the resources or background to be able to support their children's education. The Hispanic population is going to be a huge percentage of America's next generation workforce, America has to get them more focused more on educational achievement.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:24 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I think this is a really good point that gets understated in America. It doesn't matter how much money you throw at education & schools, if the parents aren't focused on their kids education it will all be wasted.
Agreed. My son goes to a private school. Thankfully I have the resources to send him there. In my observation, the above is the main difference and why most private school out perform public schools. And it isn't because of the cost of the education. The state of NM approximately spend around $9k per student for public education. Catholic Schools in NM spend around $8400 per student (HS is about $11k average, Middle School and below is $6k, $8400 is the average across all grades) with much greater results.

Last edited by NMHacker; 05-22-2014 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-22-2014, 11:48 AM

42 posts, read 78,140 times
Quote:
Mexican immigrant parents do not seem to value education as much for their children as Asian immigrants do, or maybe they do not have the resources or background to be able to support their children's education. The Hispanic population is going to be a huge percentage of America's next generation workforce, America has to get them more focused more on educational achievement.
I would disagree with some of the above, Mexican parents do value education especially first generation Mexican parents. It's more of a cultural issue , the U.S is becoming a very strict rules based society as a means of excluding people out the economic pie due to the increased automation/off shoring in the economy taking away jobs. Simply put there are no longer enough good jobs to go around therefore there must be some criteria to weed people out, only the best of the best can get the good jobs. I don't necessarily disagree with that but the Hispanic culture is probably at a disadvantage on that end as the best of the best is largely a factor of whom can follow orders/rules the best I have noticed, Hispanics tend to deviate at times, due to the culture they are a part of , having originated in other countries such as Mexico that go by different rules/orders. Asian cultures and countries have an advantage especially countries like China/Japan/South Korea and to some extent India were the cultures are heavily rule/order focused.

Education may or may not be the answer in the current economy, I would have 100% agreed on that 10 years ago now I am not so sure. My sister just graduated from NMSU with a degree in Biology a STEM field, no luck in New Mexico finding a job, she is currently looking for one here in Arizona hoping to find employment that utilizes her knowledge learned. Also read that 89% of new college grads didn't have a job lined up which is concerning. I remember my professors when I was about to graduate from college encourage us to leave the state when we graduated, most did and found jobs. Some found jobs with NM/Fed government or government contractors in the state, none that I know of got employed in the field they studied in the state by a private/public company.

Yes NM is a good state and part of it's charm is it is not crowded, but realize that by the economy not growing you just aren't keeping people out, you are also forcing native New Mexicans to leave.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
But Tucson is a "secondary city" to Phoenix in the state of AZ so they have an excuse, ABQ is THE #1 city in NM.
I don't see why state boundaries would make that much difference. ABQ and Tucson both play second tier to cities such as Phoenix or Denver. State boundaries are largely irrelevant. Denver especially pulls a lot of talent from NM.

That and Phoenix, Salt Lake, Boise, etc. are kind of first stops for companies on the west coast looking for lower costs. The say economic development starts at the coasts and then moves inland over time. Colorado is a bit of a special case due to their rich mineral history.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:45 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,078,063 times
Quote:
Both ABQ and Tucson have a very large chunk of their populations that are poor and uneducated and have higher crime rates then other similar sized western cities like say Boise ID and Salt Lake.
Really?

Quote:
Albuquerque -

Bachelor's degree or higher: 32.9%
Graduate or professional degree: 14.3%

Median Household Income - $43,606

Crime Index - 492

Boise -

Bachelor's degree or higher: 35.6%
Graduate or professional degree: 13.7%

Median Household Income - $41,474

Crime Index - 195

Salt Lake City -

Bachelor's degree or higher: 39.9%
Graduate or professional degree: 16.1%

Median Household Income - $41,588

Crime Index - 485
They are all pretty similar in those 3 categories with the exception of Boise's Crime Index.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:01 PM

New census data shows ABQ and Tucson (both city, not metro) grew 0.3% in population for the year ending 7/1/2013.

El Paso grew by 309 people, 0.0% growth.

ranked by population - http://factfinder2.census.gov/bkmk/t...PANNRSIP.US12A
ranked by population change - http://factfinder2.census.gov/bkmk/t...PANNCHIP.US12A

The cities in New Mexico grew more than the population of the whole state, so cities in the state with less than 50,000 people must be losing population on average (Farmington metro lost 1,837)

Old 05-22-2014, 04:22 PM

When you adjust for cost of living, NM has a higher per capita personal income than AZ, UT or ID as of 2012.

http://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTableHtml...9931=0&9940=-1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico