Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:15 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,613,301 times

Advertisements

Gimme your predictions: Since we are so close to Mexico, and we have so many illegal immigrants running around, how long before we have a swine flu outbreak in NM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 10:21 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,452,243 times
I would not be surprised if there were/are already cases that have not been diagnosed as such. It's not often fatal, seems less fatal in the US than in Mexico, and is treatable. No need to panic.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 AM

Well thanks for the reassurance. I know that our government is always on top of things, and responds to every crisis like Katrina immediately and efficiently. I will not worry about swine flu now.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:54 AM

I'm not saying you should not be concerned about this, and I expect it will soon be spreading in the US. If it's diagnosed early, it can be treated with Tamiflu and I imagine that a vaccine using the specific flu strain is already being developed, although it will take weeks to manufacture. I think the gov't seems to be on top of this one. I'm not sure what you'd have them do? I'm also not sure about the connection to illegals, seems like a relatively open travel border for legals can cause the spread just as quickly and more effectively, with infected tourists boarding planes and bringing this to many more areas.

Last edited by karmathecat; 04-27-2009 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: added

Old 04-27-2009, 11:14 AM

The connection to illegals is that the virus seems to be coming out of Mexico, as are illegal immigrants. They tend not to be vaccinated, or have adequate health care. Yeah, the virus is not causing too much concern right now, but it could mutate and become stronger, no?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:15 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,284,555 times
It seems as though the cases here in the US were not brought across by illegals but by people traveling into Mexico for visits and bringing it back home. However both customs(which is the people working at the bridge) and the border patrol are both on high alert. They have been since Friday, so I agree with Karmacat that in this instance the gov't is on top of this one. Just take the precautions that the CDC is recommending.

On another note, geez sometimes the sarcasm just abounds around here.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 AM

"They tend not to be vaccinated, or have adequate health care."

Plenty of Americans, legal and illegal status in the US, are without adequate health care. There is currently no vaccination against this strain of swine flu. When the vaccine becomes available, I would assume it would be distributed to outlets that could provide it to anyone..similar to the clinics at drugstores and community locations that provide free or cheap flu shots every fall.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:42 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
U.S. Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection (As of April 27, 2009 1:00 PM ET) laboratory confirmed cases:
California 7 cases
Kansas 2 cases
New York City 28 cases
Ohio 1 case
Texas 2 cases
TOTAL COUNT: 40 Cases

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)

Old 04-27-2009, 12:12 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,284,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
The connection to illegals is that the virus seems to be coming out of Mexico, as are illegal immigrants. They tend not to be vaccinated, or have adequate health care. Yeah, the virus is not causing too much concern right now, but it could mutate and become stronger, no?

It wouldn't matter if they were vaccinated or not considering at the present time there is no vaccine for the swine flu. Of course it could mutate and become stronger and we would be defenseless because as a nation we are quick to take antibiotics for any little thing, we are afraid to let our kids get exposed to germs because they might get sick so therefore our immune systems are weak and when something like this comes up we are unable to fight this off.

The weird thing about this strain of the flu is that the majority of the people who have died have been between 25 and 50 and in other flu strains the deaths usually occur in the very young, elderly and those with compromised immune systems.

We will probably never know the circumstances of those who have died in Mexico such as their health, compromised immune systems or the mere fact that Mexico for the most part is just lacking in proper sanitation. Were the people poor, homeless, rich or did it start in a school setting and spread from there, these are questions that we will probably never know the answer to.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
It seems as though the cases here in the US were not brought across by illegals but by people traveling into Mexico for visits and bringing it back home. However both customs(which is the people working at the bridge) and the border patrol are both on high alert. They have been since Friday, so I agree with Karmacat that in this instance the gov't is on top of this one. Just take the precautions that the CDC is recommending.

On another note, geez sometimes the sarcasm just abounds around here.
just because the few cases we have had were not brought in by illegals doesn't mean we will not see some in the very near future. That being said, I am not going to lay awake worrying about it. First of all, our sanitation overall is much better, our government has a heads up and we do not have an many crowded conditions.

I don't mean we shouldn't be very careful or take this lightly, but we shouldn't become parinoid either.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico