Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 11:19 AM

7 posts, read 12,236 times

Advertisements

My wife and I love our times in NM because there is very little to remind us of NW Indiana. In NM you can't see the air you breathe. You can find a million places where your ears aren't assaulted by traffic noise. Some counties have twice as many elk as people. You can sit in a shady spot on a 95 degree day and be totally comfortable. In most of the places we have visited people aren't so rushed, crowded, or full of themselves that they have forgotten the meaning of courtesy. Even in winter the sun shines and gloomy days are few. We prize these things and want them in retirement.

We also want to be a reasonable distance from a major airport and excellent medical services. City life isn't for us, but we would be comfortable an hour or so out, living on three or so acres on the outskirts of a medium sized town within driving distance of higher education. I know water is THE issue anywhere in the southwest, so a municipality that is proactively planning for growth would seem a wise choice.

All these and more are on our minds as we search for a place to semi retire and your comments would be most welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 05:47 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,415 times
I love looking at the pictures of Albuquerque, especially the ones that have a southwestern look and feel. What's the most authentically southwestern city or town?

Old 07-20-2014, 06:10 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,065 times
Don't rule out the Santa Fe area. Our favorite place on earth.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:59 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,492,443 times
I love Alamogordo because I love my job, home and congregation in this small city. I love that Las Cruces is not far to go for more shopping places, restaurants, movies, etc. El Paso is only 1 1/2 hours south. Ruidoso is less than an hour NE of here for another small town feel, only this time it's for that mountain resort kind of setting. It does get hot but you know what, I actually prefer the heat over the clouds of Seattle where I was raised. It's because I love the sun so much. Love the desert southwest the best out of all the lands of America.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,592,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottag0 View Post
We also want to be a reasonable distance from a major airport and excellent medical services. City life isn't for us, but we would be comfortable an hour or so out, living on three or so acres on the outskirts of a medium sized town within driving distance of higher education. I know water is THE issue anywhere in the southwest, so a municipality that is proactively planning for growth would seem a wise choice.
A few questions to clarify if you don't mind:

How big is a "medium town"?
How big is the "city" that is an hour away?
How far exactly is "reasonable distance" or "driving distance"? Is "higher education" a major university or is a JC extension ok?
Budget?
Do you favor warmer desert or cooler mountains?

I wouldn't worry too much about water unless you are planning to have a big lawn or irrigate crops. Also if you haven't seen the air, I guess you haven't been here in the dusty or fire seasons.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:16 PM

7 posts, read 12,236 times
Default More details on the Must Have Criteria

Thanks for the reply and the questions, RRUFF.

How big is a "medium town"?

As a rule of thumb, let's say towns with 5 - 50, 000 people. Although population size isn't irrelevant, it isn't as important as the size and variety of services and conveniences a town has to offer. We look for towns with several non-fast food restaurants, multiple shopping choices, both big box and Mom & Pop varieties, decent medical care in terms of both hospitals and physicians, and civic, entertainment, and cultural opportunities such as parks, cinemas, theaters, museums and/or historical societies. Our ideal town would include or be close to a university or community college.

How big is the "city" that is an hour away?

My definition of a city would include those with international airports.

How far exactly is "reasonable distance" or "driving distance"? Is "higher education" a major university or is a JC extension ok?

I now teach history at a local university as a retirement job and want the opportunity to continue when we move. So, I equate a reasonable distance with a reasonable commute. I now commute about 25 miles in about 35 minutes . I consider that reasonable both in terms of time and distance. I would be happy at any institution that has a good history program.

Budget?

That's the hardest one to quantify because I don't have enough knowledge. We now live on 5 acres in a 3000 sq ft house that we could probably sell easily for $300K, though I wouldn't want to spend all of that on a new home. We like the distance from our neighbors, but our house is roughly half again as large as we need for the two of us. Also, I expect our southwest home to make greater use of outdoor living space than those designed for colder climates, and I'd like to incorporate an active solar electric system.

Do you favor warmer desert or cooler mountains?

That is easier to answer, though my reasoning may be lost on those who have not experienced the cold and humidity of the Midwest. After several trips and much research we feel an altitude of 3500 to 6000 feet might match our need to avoid Phoenix-like heat and Chicago-like snows. Humidity is the key. Our summers don't often reach 100 degrees, but I like your 95 degree days much better than ours where you can sweat while sitting still in the shade. Winters too are affected. The only time the cold isn't clammy and the skies aren't overcast in NW Indiana is when it drops below 20 degrees and even that isn't a sure thing. If there is any one thing driving us away it is the solid six months of cold, damp gloom we call winter. If you add four months of brow-mopping, mosquito-plagued summer you get my drift.

So far, I think we need to find a town within an hour of Albuquerque. I think Socorro would be the farthest place south of the city, and though we have been to Socorro we don't yet know enough about it. I was very taken with the data on Las Vegas, but there seemed to be a lot of discussion about the crime rate. I know there are quite a few communities closer to Albuquerque, but we have no direct knowledge of them.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:59 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
I thought I posted a suggestion already, but seems it didn't get recorded?

I suggested looking at the Las Cruces/El Paso area as being the answer to your needs. Las Cruces is a notable retirement city for a large number of folks.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottag0 View Post
We also want to be a reasonable distance from a major airport and excellent medical services.

comfortable an hour or so out, living on three or so acres on the outskirts of a medium sized town within driving distance of higher education.

All these and more are on our minds as we search for a place to semi retire and your comments would be most welcome.
The "Albuquerque International Sunport" is the only Major Airport in New Mexico. The "El Paso International Airport" is the closest Major Airport to New Mexico. It is about 55 miles to Las Cruces, NM with a population of 101,047.

For reference, top 10 cities and populations listed in New Mexico:
Albuquerque, NM 555,417
Las Cruces, NM 101,047
Rio Rancho 90,818
Santa Fe, NM 69,204
Roswell, NM 48,477
Farmington, NM 45,854
South Valley, NM 40,976
Clovis, NM 39,197
Hobbs 35,007
Alamogordo 31,500
You might also read: Where are the best hospitals and Dr care in New Mexico

Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 PM

154 posts, read 346,316 times
Your desire for "multiple" shopping venues narrow your choices.

I'd second Las Cruces as meeting most of your criteria. Getting a place with a fine view of the Organ Mountains - what a glorious sight to see every day! A pretty big cultural scene there, as well. Overall, LC is a little too generic for my tastes, but there are some neighborhoods with personality.

And El Paso is close enough to meet the needs that LC can't. The El Paso airport is lovely - so easy to get in and out of and a pretty design. (You might check into Anthony, TX, as a possible relo site.)

I agree with Elkotronics that Alamogordo (or Tularosa) has an enviable climatic diversity in a compact area, but they don't have the shopping you're looking for. I lived in Alamogordo for a year and loved it. (Alamogordo does have a university campus.)

If you opt for ABQ, and if you're not going to settle in ABQ proper, then my suggestion is to really get a grip on the traffic patterns before jumping into a new home. The southern trek between ABQ and bedroom community Los Lunas is depressing. The town of Bernalillo north of ABQ has much to commend it, but the traffic between that town and ABQ is intense. (On the other hand, you're much closer to the recreation areas in the mountains.) I don't know much about the communities that lie up against the Sandia Mountains.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:04 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzurie View Post
If you opt for ABQ, and if you're not going to settle in ABQ proper, then my suggestion is to really get a grip on the traffic patterns before jumping into a new home. The southern trek between ABQ and bedroom community Los Lunas is depressing. The town of Bernalillo north of ABQ has much to commend it, but the traffic between that town and ABQ is intense. (On the other hand, you're much closer to the recreation areas in the mountains.) I don't know much about the communities that lie up against the Sandia Mountains.
Doubt you can find 3 acres in or around Bernalillo. I live there and love it, but not sure it fits with your desired lot size. Maybe a little further away from ABQ, including areas in the East Mountains, but I think you'll pay a pretty good price for this size lot within a reasonable driving distance of ABQ.

I don't think of traffic between Bernalillo and ABQ as at all intense compared to other similar size places. Maybe during commute periods (I work from home) but that is a pretty short period and if you're teaching as a retirement job one that you can easily avoid. Traffic here is way less than other places we have lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico