Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,187 times

Advertisements

Moving from Missouri to New Mexico for the lottery tuition program for Daughter. She begins college in three years. I need to downsize and want to find an area that fits both our needs. Close to a University in case she needs to live at home, houses under 120k but not in high crime area. We are into art galleries, theatre, music, cycling and horses (trail riding) We are looking at Las Cruces, Rio Rancho, and thought about Raton. Las Vegas had a great house but the crime rates are off the charts. Please share the good and bad and any recommendations. She still needs a good high school too for 2 more years. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 05:16 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,944,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piperstar View Post
We are into art galleries, theatre, music, cycling and horses (trail riding) We are looking at Las Cruces, Rio Rancho, and thought about Raton.
Rio Rancho will probably be your best bet for convenient or relatively convenient access to all the things you mention. Your arts interests can be satisfied in Albuquerque, and by nearby Santa Fe, and remote but still somewhat nearby Taos. Albuquerque gets good grades as a cycling city, and I'm guessing there are horse trails near Rio Rancho/Albuquerque.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:36 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,177,413 times
Las Cruces should top your list. New Mexico State Univ. is second only to Univ. of NM. Las Cruces is the second largest city in the state with a small town demeanor. A major advantage is proximity to the much larger metro area of El Paso, TX - with all that has to offer within an hour's drive. There are plenty of reasonably price rentals and affordable residences within easy commute to NMSU.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:58 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,704,307 times
Las Cruces if you want a smaller city. Rio Rancho if you want to be closer to bigger city amenities.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:32 PM

16,123 posts, read 10,797,985 times
I moved a year ago to Rio Rancho...also from Missouri. I'm north of Corrales which is a little far north to easily get to museums and such but it will get better once the road construction is finished. I'm retired and usually find what I need in Bernalillo, Corrales or Enchanted Hills and only rarely head south of Alameda unless I'm heading in to Albuquerque. Getting to UNM for classes could be a challenge depending on traffic. High school is an easy trip. I'm not very knowledgeable on house prices but $120k might be a little difficult. Lots of horse stuff going on nearby in Corrales.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:26 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,704,307 times
Las Cruces does have a lower cost of living than Rio Rancho/Albuquerque. It also gets hotter in the summer if that's a consideration.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:32 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,608,323 times
Though it's isolated and small (~10k), check out Silver City. It's not bad for several of the things you mentioned, and has the best climate in the state.

When you check out crime stats be sure to look at the details. I also wonder if all the places are reporting properly. When I moved to Ruidoso the stats said crime was high, and now it is low. I haven't noticed any difference, and have never felt that it was dangerous anywhere in town, day or night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico