Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 01:07 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,944,693 times

Advertisements

We grow chile here in SW Colorado, but IMO New Mexico has the finest green chile's, chile ristas, etc., so I'm hoping someone here can help me out with my serious chile problem. Last May I bought several chile plants from the idiots at Wally World. They were marked Anaheim, but they turned out to be extremely hot serranos. And I mean HOT! I'm not a chile wimp by a long shot. If it's good and hot , bring it on! But these chiles are too hot even for me. Naturally the damn things grew like weeds and I now have about a zillion of them in my garden. I hate to see them go to waste, but I don't know what to do with them. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 02:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Yes the Serrano Chiles are pretty easy to grow. They are hotter than Jalapeno's. Generally the smaller the Serrano the hotter they are.

Here is a good web page Some Like It Hot: Growing & Preserving Serrano Chili Peppers - PlanterTomato Vegetable Gardening pretty well explains the varieties of processing techniques.

Here are over 50 decent Serrano Pepper Recipes: Serrano Pepper Recipes - Allrecipes.com This is an excellent site which I have been using for over 15 years...

Old 10-11-2014, 05:40 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,702,667 times
The best thing I know for serranos is to do a sauce or salsa with them and tomatillos. I don't know any recipe's, unfortunately. The salsa is good with chips or any other time you need salsa.

One of my favorite dishes of all time is called Huevos Delicias from Delicia's Cafe in Las Cruces. It's a corn tortilla quesadilla using muenster cheese, topped with a couple eggs over medium and smothered with a warm serrano-tomatillo sauce.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Yes the Serrano Chiles are pretty easy to grow. They are hotter than Jalapeno's. Generally the smaller the Serrano the hotter they are.

Here is a good web page Some Like It Hot: Growing & Preserving Serrano Chili Peppers - PlanterTomato Vegetable Gardening pretty well explains the varieties of processing techniques.

Here are over 50 decent Serrano Pepper Recipes: Serrano Pepper Recipes - Allrecipes.com This is an excellent site which I have been using for over 15 years...
Thanks for the links. Those recipes sound pretty tastey. I miss the smell of green chiles roasting in the fall. Usually someone comes to my town and sets up a chile roasting stand, but for some reason they didn't show up this year. I live in the Four Corners, so I may just have to make a trip down to Farmington if it's not already too late for chile roasting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
The best thing I know for serranos is to do a sauce or salsa with them and tomatillos. I don't know any recipe's, unfortunately. The salsa is good with chips or any other time you need salsa.

One of my favorite dishes of all time is called Huevos Delicias from Delicia's Cafe in Las Cruces. It's a corn tortilla quesadilla using muenster cheese, topped with a couple eggs over medium and smothered with a warm serrano-tomatillo sauce.
Those Huevos Delicia sound great. I'll have to remember that cafe the next time I'm down Las Cruces way. The Serrano peppers in my garden are so hot that I think about an 8th of one added to a gallon of tomatillos would make a very spicey salsa - that's about 400 gallons of salsa if I were to use every entire Serrano that I have harvested so far. Maybe I can make them into a some sort of spray to keep the deer and the rabbits out of my garden. Although with my luck the deer around here would probably turn out to be avid Serrano fans!

Old 10-12-2014, 08:40 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,886,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
We grow chile here in SW Colorado, but IMO New Mexico has the finest green chile's, chile ristas, etc., so I'm hoping someone here can help me out with my serious chile problem. Last May I bought several chile plants from the idiots at Wally World. They were marked Anaheim, but they turned out to be extremely hot serranos. And I mean HOT! I'm not a chile wimp by a long shot. If it's good and hot , bring it on! But these chiles are too hot even for me. Naturally the damn things grew like weeds and I now have about a zillion of them in my garden. I hate to see them go to waste, but I don't know what to do with them. Any ideas?
If you want a few for the winter, put them raw/fresh on cookie sheets and in the freezer overnight.

Ziplock bag them, and pull out what you need for any given recipe.

I used to let most of mine go red, and either freeze them or dry them, too.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:35 AM

4,869 posts, read 4,814,778 times
There are a number of good refrigerator dill pickle recipes out there. We use serranos to make hot dill pickles.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
If you want a few for the winter, put them raw/fresh on cookie sheets and in the freezer overnight.

Ziplock bag them, and pull out what you need for any given recipe.

I used to let most of mine go red, and either freeze them or dry them, too.
Do they lose some of their heat when they are frozen or dried? I was thinking of drying some of mine and then keeping them in a vacumn sealed container. I've also let some of mine go red. It makes for an attractive mix with the green ones.

jiminnm wrote:

There are a number of good refrigerator dill pickle recipes out there. We use serranos to make hot dill pickles.

Really? Pickles? I've never know you could do that and still come up with something that wouldn't make you want to gack. Is there any special pickle recipe that you like to use?

Old 10-12-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Do they lose some of their heat when they are frozen or dried? I was thinking of drying some of mine and then keeping them in a vacumn sealed container. I've also let some of mine go red. It makes for an attractive mix with the green ones.

jiminnm wrote:

Really? Pickles? I've never know you could do that and still come up with something that wouldn't make you want to gack. Is there any special pickle recipe that you like to use?
I haven't ever noticed a loss of heat, but the texture will degrade a bit over time. I've kept mine for up to 2 years. They're a bit mushy at the end of that time, but can still be used in salsas and such.

Drying works very well. I also grind some of the dried red for powder, too, as well as some of the green ones!

Old 10-13-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I haven't ever noticed a loss of heat, but the texture will degrade a bit over time. I've kept mine for up to 2 years. They're a bit mushy at the end of that time, but can still be used in salsas and such.

Drying works very well. I also grind some of the dried red for powder, too, as well as some of the green ones!
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll dry a few of mine than give the rest away to fellow chile lovers around here. Does anyone know if I can still find fresh roasted green chiles (Anaheims) in Farmington?

Old 10-13-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll dry a few of mine than give the rest away to fellow chile lovers around here. Does anyone know if I can still find fresh roasted green chiles (Anaheims) in Farmington?
Try the little produce market at 2330 E Main--Fresh For Less. I don't live in Farmington any more, so I haven't been by to know for sure if they still have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico