Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:36 AM

464 posts, read 1,156,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Bears, Mountain Lions, Snakes, Insects, Volcanos, Wind and Dust. Oh, MY!

LOL Greg! Tooo funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I remember an old fashion drug store with a soda bar we stopped at on our last NM trip. Wonderful retired druggist ran the place. I liked Carrizozo.

I kept trying to remember the name of that wonderful old fashioned shop. I kept thinking 'Roy' {was it that simple a name? }, then forgot about it till I read this post of yours, Greg. So I went and searched it out.

Went to the Town website: www.townofcarrizozo.org checked the chamber members- he's not listed with them, {as not all businesses become members}. Then checked for Ice cream in Zozo, and it came up
'Roy's Ice Cream Parlour'
I was thinking it was Soda Fountain or Drug store, but there you go.
When we were there a couple years ago he said if memory serves me, he'd move away and swore he'd come back and open it back up, as it used to be- an old fashioned ice cream shop and 'drug' store, like some of us remember
He made Cokes the old fashioned way, from the syrup and soda water
Mmmmm love those ice COLD 'original' cherry cokes!

At that time he had a website he mentioned and I looked for it online last nite, but could not find it now. But the shop is still listed at: 1200 E Ave. Carrizozo, NM

It's also a small gift shop. I remember from back those couple of years ago, he had some nice-quality laser cut crystal & glass designs on site, you could order, like in the shop, etc.

I remember too, it was so hot/dry in a August when we were in the area, That shop and the Ice Cream were Fantastic and sitting there, eating a banana split, hit the spot!

The town website {posted above} has a 'plea' on it; for anyone interested in opening a *Grocery store* to contact them

{they also mention a coffee shop too, but noticed there was one or two in town already, under the members/businesses listings.}

Tia Dalma- back, after holiday, company, travel, weather and a Barn party!

Last edited by TiaDalma; 12-08-2008 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: ooops, it's dot org, not .com

Old 12-08-2008, 06:08 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
I'll have to check out the Ice Cream Parlour when i'm there next time as i see it's on 1200 E Ave and again thankyou for that info TiaDalma .

Old 12-08-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I'll have to check out the Ice Cream Parlour when i'm there next time as i see it's on 1200 E Ave and again thankyou for that info TiaDalma .

Great! Harry and you're welcome. I hope he's still there....it was such a great and 'sweet' place
Please let us know what you find for sure
Have a Real cherry coke for me
{hate the canned coke- blech}

Maybe you could ask him about his website he used to have

And don't be tooo "a-scared" while visitin' Zozo, LOL

Tia Dalma

Old 12-08-2008, 08:05 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
They will be closing parts of 12th street down and ripping out the pavement to start filming on a new film "The Book of Eli".

Old 12-08-2008, 02:02 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
A "post-apocalytic western"....too cool!!

The Book Of Eli: First Look Inside The Book Of Eli

Old 12-08-2008, 03:27 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,500 times
Oh I knew I recognized the name Carrizozo! It reputedly has one of those crazy laws on the books that say it's "forbidden for a female to appear unshaven in public" -either face or legs. LOL
I have to wonder what the story behind that law was!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 05:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Thank you Tia. That is a perfect description. IMHO it is worth the drive to Zozo to have a coke at Roy's soda shop.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:25 AM

471 posts, read 976,875 times
Default Real life in Carrizozo??

Anyone have any real life experiences from living in Carrizozo?? I don't mean the visits to all the little shops and places to buy trinkets, but how day to day life might be there? Carrizozo is one of those towns in NM where I feel an interest for whenever I drive through and ponder if there might be any chance at all for minimal employment, safe housing, retirement and all that... I know there is that development near by for the upper crust folks, but what about in the little town itself??

What say ye??

Old 05-15-2014, 08:03 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Don't know that I've ever seen anybody on this board who lives there. My impression is that it is safe enough and cheap... not much happening. Didn't even know they had trinket shops. I like the old houses. If your employment needs are minimal it shouldn't be too hard to find something to do. It is the county seat after all, so as long as that is the case it shouldn't just dry up and blow away.

There is an upper crust development? Where is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico