Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 10:37 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times

Advertisements

Study: Best Cities to Live in New Mexico
June 17, 2014
By Rebecca Lake

Study: Best Cities to Live in New Mexico - CreditDonkey

They never end. The Best Cities to live articles. They constantly change. Just change a parameter in your statistics, and you get new results. Why move to the best place? Buy the time you get there and unpack it will no longer be the "Best City" to live in. But they are still fun to read, sometimes...

10 Best Cities to Live in New Mexico:

10. Hobbs
9. Artesia
8. Roswell
7. Carlsbad
6. Las Cruces
5. Rio Rancho
4. Santa Fe
3. Farmington
2. Silver City
1. Alamogordo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 10:53 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,379 times
They tweak the criteria each year to make sure their list doesn't get stale showing the same places year after year.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:46 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Nice to know that I've lived in two of the top ten.....

Old 10-24-2014, 08:22 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
I find it hard to believe whoever wrote the article ever visited the #1 choice, Alamogordo. The ranking, quite frankly, flabbergasts me. Frequent multiple felony arrests in Otero county fails to support the low crime rating - re: 10/16/2014 - 42 Rounded Up in Otero County Drug Raid.

I also can't imagine how they arrived at the "tourist driven economy" statement. And as has been explored in past threads here, the town falls far short of having commendable restaurants, leaving me wondering at the value of the "varied restaurant choices" statement.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I find it hard to believe whoever wrote the article ever visited the #1 choice, Alamogordo. The ranking, quite frankly, flabbergasts me. Frequent multiple felony arrests in Otero county fails to support the low crime rating - re: 10/16/2014 - 42 Rounded Up in Otero County Drug Raid.

I also can't imagine how they arrived at the "tourist driven economy" statement. And as has been explored in past threads here, the town falls far short of having commendable restaurants, leaving me wondering at the value of the "varied restaurant choices" statement.

Restaurants: 1 per 470 inhabitants...

The criteria seems to be the ratio of restaurants to the number of people.

They obviously never ate at any of them, LOL!

Old 10-27-2014, 11:52 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,523,771 times
Joqua a big drug bust does not mean a place is bad. Most places have drugs but do all the dealers get caught? Otero County may not even have more than average drug issues but because a group gets caught may reflect just as much on the qualify of law enforcement.

Having said that Alamogordo seems ok if you like hot summers. Friendly

LOL Cathy not sure the number of restaurants per person is a good criteria either, maybe there are lots of good cooks there. Why not just judge a place by how fat the people are --after all they wouldn't get that fat if it weren't for the delicious places to eat... LOL

Old 10-27-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Joqua a big drug bust does not mean a place is bad. Most places have drugs but do all the dealers get caught? Otero County may not even have more than average drug issues but because a group gets caught may reflect just as much on the qualify of law enforcement.

Having said that Alamogordo seems ok if you like hot summers. Friendly

LOL Cathy not sure the number of restaurants per person is a good criteria either, maybe there are lots of good cooks there. Why not just judge a place by how fat the people are --after all they wouldn't get that fat if it weren't for the delicious places to eat... LOL
Otero county does have both a drug and a domestic violence problem.

I remember opening the morning paper--and seeing a large full-color photo of a woman covered in blood from chest to thighs. I can't even remember what it was, but it was domestic/in-laws.

But...there are few places in NM (or TX either, for that matter) that DON'T have drug issues of one kind or another.

Better that they eat the <TIC>delicious<TIC> food than shoot up, smoke or snort......

Old 10-27-2014, 03:00 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
I live in Alamogordo and don't have a problem with it seeming to be drug-infested. By that I don't mean I want it to be drug-infested, it just seems like a Mayberry town to me. Quiet, occasional sirens. Like any town, if you don't hang out with the troublemakers you'll more than likely be fine.

I've been here for just short of two years, so a decent amount of sampling time. It's a nice city to live in.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:06 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post

It's not fair to Compare Alamogordo with Otero County... How many of those 42 rounded up committed their crimes in Alamogordo? Might as well let Otero County be the standard for New Mexico?

Old 10-27-2014, 04:22 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I live in Alamogordo and don't have a problem with it seeming to be drug-infested. By that I don't mean I want it to be drug-infested, it just seems like a Mayberry town to me. Quiet, occasional sirens. Like any town, if you don't hang out with the troublemakers you'll more than likely be fine.

I've been here for just short of two years, so a decent amount of sampling time. It's a nice city to live in.
We lived in Alamo about 14 yrs ago. It was a great town! never felt unsafe! wish we would have stayed sometimes! Maybe one day....or Santa Fe...lol . 2 Opposites I know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico