Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 10:19 AM

887 posts, read 1,221,324 times

Advertisements

I've only been to the plaza and springs but you might check out Las Vegas. I know it has lots of victorian homes and would not doubt that many need work! You won't be in the middle of nowhere either. Probably large enough for a Home Depot type store as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 10:29 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,196,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I forgot about Lincoln! That's in a nice location with a lot of history. For someone who likes a mild climate in a remote but not too remote area it wouldn't be a bad place to live.
The core of the town has very few private residences within the historic district, which places restrictions on remodeling or additions to the property that don't meet the guidelines of historical preservation. Not something to take lightly when buying something there.

Quote:
Lincoln Historic District is a historic district encompassing the community of Lincoln, New Mexico. It includes a number of buildings, including Wright House, Dr. Wood's Office, and the Watson House, Curry Saloon, Wortley Hotel, Penfield Shop and Home, Tunstall Store, Old Mill, Ellis Store, Old Courthouse, Montano Store.[3]

It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960.[2][4] The National Park Service reviewer of the site, who visited in 1974, believed, then, that it was the best preserved cow town in the United States.[4]

Seventeen of the buildings are owned by the state of New Mexico and operated as the Lincoln State Monument. Four of the buildings are open as museums year round, and two are open seasonally.
Outside of the historic district there are good opportunities but few cheap buys, to my knowledge. The nearby Hondo Valley has also been a favored location if the property is within the irrigation limits. Quite a few old and historic buildings in the valley since it was the first place settled by pioneering families.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:00 AM

481 posts, read 1,305,540 times
Two of my favorite old towns in NM that are relatively cheap are Magdalena and Mountainair. I'm especially partial to Magdalena. Hillsboro is another neat place to look into.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:06 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,550,457 times
I would consider Lincoln for retirement possibilities but have never done an internet search for homes there. Ruidoso would be the grocery-getting destination.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:42 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,540,096 times
joq & Ruff good photos

Old 11-16-2014, 06:51 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,623,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I would consider Lincoln for retirement possibilities but have never done an internet search for homes there. Ruidoso would be the grocery-getting destination.
Roswell isn't too far either.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:05 PM

rruff- I'll have ta do a MapQuest of an address in Lincoln to an address in Roswell to see that distance. Interesting thought by entering Roswell for shopping. I do love Lincoln and find it's history fascinating. I know there's farmland from the Hondo Valley on up to Lincoln to poke around online looking at, too.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,930,100 times
Magdalena and San Antonio are my favorites but Socorro is more likely a place for us to snowbird to. If you are really interested in the high and lonely try Mongollon.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:24 AM

GregW - a good thing about the San Antonio location and Socorro is that they're closer to Albuquerque and Santa Fe if you feel like heading to some northerly destinations, eh?

Old 11-17-2014, 09:32 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,922,022 times
TITLE: is there any place in NM wiht nice inexpensive old buildings/homes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Trinidad Colorado has great old buildings and a decent price - its just that there is no new business and the population has shrunk. Buffalo Toledo are similar.

Is there a similar place in NM? Cheap old buildings?
Not sure what your looking for.

But how about the courtesy of what price range you were considering?

You say Trinidad is nice but "there is no new business and the population has shrunk."?

So you just want to chit chat about stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico