Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 08:47 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,630,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Because of the more frequent water restrictions, I lost the entire row of poplar trees, one apple tree is almost dead, and the other one hasn't had a single apple in the past two years.
I don't know if you are doing it or if it is even legal here (I know it isn't some places), but you can collect a good amount of water via gutters for yard watering. Granted, that isn't going to help you in the pre July dry period unless you have a really big tank and carry it over from the previous year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 08:58 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I used to just ignore the rules myself, since I bought a house that USED TO HAVE a wind break of mature lombardy poplar trees, two mature apple trees and many decorative shrubs and flowering bushes. Because of the more frequent water restrictions, I lost the entire row of poplar trees, one apple tree is almost dead, and the other one hasn't had a single apple in the past two years.

I have only a few pine and fir trees and luckily (knock wood), I haven't had a tree affected by bark beetles as so many other homeowners have.

I would never advise anyone to move to this town if they love to garden, as I once did.
I have no doubt that the climate is a challenge for anyone who loves to garden.

I am one of those who don't garden unless it produces FOOD. I have had no in-ground veggie plots since I left Midland in 2007. The wind, heat, bugs and volatile weather make gardening a challenge in WT--and even more of one in Central, because of the deer and bugs!!

My tomatoes have all been raised in moveable carts since 2008--Alamogordo, Farmington and Alpine.

I can move the carts out of the wind and protect them from cold and insects much easier than an in-ground garden. I can have tomatoes ready to take home Christmas if I like.

The only thing I missed in NM were my green chiles (my favorite variety, Joe Parker, isn't often grown commercially)--these don't do well in either containers or carts.

My outside ground plants are all agave or Texas purple sage, which require only hand-watering every once in awhile, and a tiny two-section lawn (each about 10'x27') of buffalo grass. If it weren't for the dogs, I wouldn't have any lawn at all.

Farmington's growing season is a little longer than yours, but I still had to contend with cold nights when the plants were getting established--so being able to move the tomatoes into the garage or house those nights really helped.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:07 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,544,648 times
Pistacios need dry hot summers and cool winters. I hear the Ag Extension even helps with costs.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:27 PM

9 posts, read 15,533 times
Doe's anyone use grey water to irrigate. [url=http://www.nmenv.state.nm.us/fod/LiquidWaste/graywater.html]New Mexico Environment Department Liquid Waste Program Gray Water Information[/url] Seems simple to hook a line to your washing machine etc. GOSH!

Old 01-22-2015, 06:40 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,335,151 times
^ I don't live in NM, but In some spots of Arizona it is actually "illegal" to use grey water. The plumbing company I worked for hooked up a few grey water systems under the table for people anyways (those rebels). For a state with such limited water I thought that was ridiculous. I would hope New Mexico would be more progressive on this and allow grey water irrigation. Kitchen sink water can be a little on the nasty side, but washing machine, sink and tub water should all be fair game to use, IMO.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:27 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,206,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
^ I don't live in NM, but In some spots of Arizona it is actually "illegal" to use grey water.
NM passed legislation a few years ago making it legal under state law. Municipalities may be able to ban it with local ordinances - not sure. My family's old cabin has always drained the grey water to the yard, but not in such a manner that it's used to irrigate. It goes to one spot. OTOH, the old cabin has always been used only periodically. Even so, the drainage area has always been the greenest spot on the property!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico