Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:33 PM

17 posts, read 45,556 times

Advertisements

Poncho - Thank you for the information - I appreciate it! It's always handy to know where to buy food - or not

ABQ2015 - Thank you also for the great information. I'll check out that Albuquerque thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 09:20 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEagle View Post
We are considering Tijeras (out of the city, to the south) or Edgewood. Next in line are Pecos, Sandia Park, Cedar Crest, or Jemez Springs.
Tijeras, Edgewood, Sandia Park and Cedar Crest are all in the same basic area called the east mountains.

These threads may help:

Moving To The East Mountain Area - Questions
East Mountains
Weather - East Mountain Weather

Old 01-16-2015, 11:04 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
There are three of us. I'm retired, one would probably commute to Albuquerque (or Santa Fe, Las Vegas, etc.), and one would be self-employed locally.
I think the person commuting will control where you live to a large degree. Dealing with snow and flood conditions in addition to a long commute would be very annoying if you were out in the boonies. And depending on what sort of job they are looking for, it might be best to get that settled first.

What kind of employment will they be seeking?

You know, I never thought about air traffic. The ABQ airport is right near there also. Never noticed any noise in the East Mountains. Since the planes need to clear the mountain range as they go across, they aren't going to be close to the ground anyway.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:40 AM

Thank you for the links to the other threads Poncho - they have a lot of very helpful information!

rruff - The commuting person is mid-20s in age and flexible about employment. Immediately considering working in a nursing home and eventually getting into nursing. I don't think that kind of work would require commuting to a real big city. And (I think) nursing certifications can be gotten online for the most part.

Thanks for the info about air traffic noise. I suspected that the planes would be too high over the mountains to be very loud, but I didn't want to overlook the possibility. When I was growing up, we lived in the direct flight path of a Naval Air Station. The whole house would shake when they flew over, and the noise was unbelievable.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
The main source of noise that concerns us is air traffic. Freeways and railroads are shown on Google maps, so they wouldn't be a surprise. Dogs and roosters would not be a problem. But I noticed that Tijeras is comparatively close to Kirtland AFB, so I was wondering if it is in its flight path. Of course we would visit any town and property before purchasing, but air traffic may not be immediately noticeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
You know, I never thought about air traffic. The ABQ airport is right near there also. Never noticed any noise in the East Mountains. Since the planes need to clear the mountain range as they go across, they aren't going to be close to the ground anyway.
I have not noticed any air traffic along the East Mountains. There may be some minor flights, small aircraft, etc. Never seen anything flying along I-40 through the gap from ABQ to Tijeras. Too dangerous as far as winds (their is a windsock in the gap as a warning to ground vehicles, some semi's have been blow over). There is a navigation aid vector from the airport to Moriarty, which is probably for aircraft at much higher altitudes...

The Albuquerque International Sunport and Kirtland Air Force Base share the same runways. Most of the military traffic I see is not as loud as the airliners. We do get lower military flights north and west from the airport...

My wife and I are private pilots and I am retired military. I don't know what civilians are sensitive to. What makes me look up and smile makes some people cringe and complain...

The beautiful/ugly U.S. Air Force Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey "tiltrotor aircraft" landing at Albuquerque last month:

Old 01-16-2015, 12:13 PM

Hi Poncho -

My Dad was a civilian employee for the Navy and did engineering work on jets and helicopters. My brother followed in a similar career at the same Naval base. A few years ago, I retired from being a DoD civilian employee. So we have quite a history of military appreciation. I love to watch the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels perform, or any kind of military fly-over. I just don't want to live directly under them.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
We are considering Tijeras (out of the city, to the south) or Edgewood. Next in line are Pecos, Sandia Park, Cedar Crest, or Jemez Springs.
My questions are:

I know this is not an accurate question to ask, but what is your stereotype of each town?
Jemez Springs. A bit of a tourist town in the mountains. Use to ride my motorcycle up there with groups (and solo) 10+ years ago. Always take family or friends

Google says it's 39.3 miles and 47 minutes From Jemez Springs to the Walmart in the town of Bernalillo...
Here is a two minute slide show I did :U.S. Route 550 in New Mexico - Bernalillo to San Ysidro". Slide show ends at the previously discussed intersection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REirdL8vmDk

and a video I did "Fire and Ice Winter Festival, February 25, 2012, Village of Jemez Springs, New Mexico". I stay away from Jemez Springs, if there is a chance of snow. I'm told it's not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5AMajmgm_M

As far as Pecos, have only been twice and that was over 10 years ago. One on the motorcycle and once taking our 12+ hour drive to Denver (most people make the Denver drive in 6 hours...)

Two other places you might look at are Madid and Cerrillos. Visit Madrid New Mexico and Cerrillos, New Mexico . They are close together and also on the East Mountains.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:13 AM

Wow, Poncho! - great videos! While I was at your YouTube page, I stopped by the Mountainair Sunflower Festival, too. It looked like it was really fun! And I love your collies - the brown and white one is especially beautiful!

I think you drive like I do - if Google says it takes 4 hours to get somewhere, I'll take at least 6. I used to drive from Denver to San Diego. Most people make the trip in 20 hours - for me it was always 3 1/2 days.

I'll check out Madrid and Cerrillos, too.

Maybe I should mention that we are one Anglo (me) and two Latinos. And we're especially hoping for a place where we won't have any difficulties (you know what I'm trying to say). We have traveled together to New Mexico a few times, and generally I wouldn't expect to have any major problems there, but if you know of one or two places that would be noticeably better or worse for us, I'd appreciate knowing about them.

Thanks again!

Old 01-17-2015, 11:57 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
rruff - The commuting person is mid-20s in age and flexible about employment. Immediately considering working in a nursing home and eventually getting into nursing.
In that case a long commute makes even less sense. I'm still leaning towards the East Mountains. There aren't a lot of businesses, but there should be plenty of possibilities at least. If nursing is a real deal I'd check into that. Part could be done online, but I suspect a whole lot can't.

I think you should look into the southern part of the state also. Ruidoso-Capitan, and Silver City may fit your needs. Silver City may offer nursing... they have a small university anyway. Oh, and check out Las Vegas as well, which also has a small university and it is an attractive area IMO.

I can't imagine you'd experience racial issues in NM, at least not in any neighborhoods you could afford.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:31 PM

887 posts, read 1,215,545 times
I can't imagine airplane noise in the east mountains. Placitas may be another story as the east bound flights I have been on tend to head around the north of the Sandias on their climb to altitude. Same holds true for flights coming in from the east
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico