Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 11:24 AM

16,062 posts, read 10,626,885 times

Advertisements

Living near Bernalillo, Spanish is commonly spoken among long-time locals and not just by senior citizens. I suspect that there is a blending of old and new dialects. My own college version of Spanish is coming back after 50 years and I surprise myself at what I understand and can speak, albeit stunted and broken. My daughter worked in South Valley (s. of ABQ) and took a few informal Spanish lessons from a lady raised in Oaxaca but it was a different dialect from the local version.

I also hear Pueblo languages on occasion in fast food restaurants but we have several pueblos nearby and they don't use the same languages so I never have a clue what I'm hearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 06:08 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,356,591 times
My grandson in law's family can trace their family back to the 1600s and they were originally from Spain living in the northern part of NM. He grandparents still live in Las Vegas, NM. I have no idea what type of Spanish they originally spoke. It would be interesting for Paul to try and question his grandparents about this. Of course they may not know either as for generations I am relatively sure they have spoken English.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:08 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,443,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Be careful here-- linguistically speaking, New Mexico Spanish has its own vocabulary and grammar differences with other varieties of Spanish and is considered its own dialect. It is not a "worse" Spanish than what you speak, just different. It is fundamentally based on rural 16th-century Castilian. The University of New Mexico offers classes in New Mexico Spanish and its faculty have been studying the dialect for decades. You have no doubt seen the popular book "Dictionary of New Mexico and Southern Colorado Spanish" by Rubén Cobos on local bookstore shelves.
Cobos's book is great. People with an interest in this topic should also check out The Spanish Language of New Mexico and Southern Colorado, a very thorough academic overview of New Mexico Spanish recently published by UNM Press. It includes lots of maps, discussions of distinct dialects of NM Spanish, and a consideration of the language's current status in New Mexico, a perennial topic of discussion on this forum.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:24 AM

4,971 posts, read 7,336,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Cobos's book is great. People with an interest in this topic should also check out The Spanish Language of New Mexico and Southern Colorado, a very thorough academic overview of New Mexico Spanish recently published by UNM Press. It includes lots of maps, discussions of distinct dialects of NM Spanish, and a consideration of the language's current status in New Mexico, a perennial topic of discussion on this forum.
Thanks, I forgot about this book (and I know one of the authors!).

My sense is that there are also socioeconomic differences reflected in the Spanish spoken among native Hispanos in NM, some with more awareness of standard varieties outside the state, which filter in through music and Spanish language TV. One of my friends who was a native speaker of NM Spanish from ABQ's North Valley was hooked on "Juana Iris" and other telenovelas in the 1980s-90s and his use of the language was influenced by that.

There was a Spanish language newspaper in Albuquerque that circulated from 1966-2011, El Hispano News, I used to enjoy reading it. Sorry it's gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico