Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 02:25 PM

5 posts, read 10,681 times

Advertisements

Considering moving to Tucumcari area for retirement to small farm. Ancient thread on here has good and bad things to say. So I'm asking for current thoughts, opinions, events, comments and two cents worth. Are there "better" places where real estate prices are comparable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 05:30 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicine horse View Post
Considering moving to Tucumcari area for retirement to small farm. Ancient thread on here has good and bad things to say. So I'm asking for current thoughts, opinions, events, comments and two cents worth. Are there "better" places where real estate prices are comparable?
Wrong state. New Mexico I think - He may want Las Vegas, NM Maybe a Mod?

Old 10-25-2016, 11:11 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Moderator cut: This thread has been moved to the New Mexico forum

Old 10-26-2016, 03:48 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Start by using City-Data for information. Go to the first page and type in the city name.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Start by using City-Data for information. Go to the first page and type in the city name.
Yeah, I did start with that. That's data and what it doesn't tell you is what people are feeling, what their dreams and nightmares are, if they feel they can count on friends or if they even have any. Etc, etc, etc. Data I've seen. Now looking for opinions.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:28 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicine horse View Post
Yeah, I did start with that. That's data and what it doesn't tell you is what people are feeling, what their dreams and nightmares are, if they feel they can count on friends or if they even have any. Etc, etc, etc. Data I've seen. Now looking for opinions.

I have only been to Tucumcari about four times in 15+ years, and that was passing through.

Here are two threads which people have discussed Tucumcari, this may help you:
Tucumcari
Tucumcari - Spending The Night
Good luck to you!

Old 10-26-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I have only been to Tucumcari about four times in 15+ years, and that was passing through.

Here are two threads which people have discussed Tucumcari, this may help you:
Tucumcari
Tucumcari - Spending The Night
Good luck to you!
When I found this site, I saw those. Last posts 3 years old and 1&1/2 years old, hence my title on this new thread. What changes/trends are long time residents seeing? How do newcomers feel having chosen TCC? Would either do anything differently if they could go back? Change is noticed more by the occasional traveller, what's their experience/perception?
Thanks for the well wishes, Poncho!

Old 10-27-2016, 05:13 PM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
MH, I'm sure you've read my take on Tucumcari through those two threads Poncho_NM provided. I haven't been down there in a few years, I wanted to this past summer and couldn't make it. I lived there for four months in 1982 while working a pipeline job going through the area north of there. Loved it.

There's been some activity there over the last decade that is good to see. Mesalands Community College is there. A new 40,000 sq. ft. convention center has been built. Mesalands Dinosaur museum is now set up there. Last time I was there I noticed a lot of wind turbines up on mesas south of town.

A New Mexico Route 66 museum is on the drawing board, not sure when that is coming.

Tucumcari is just one of a lot of towns that got hurt when Interstate 40 was completed a few decades back. I'm just a nostalgic old schmeezer--I love Route 66 stuff! Speaking of which, Tucumcari sports a Route 66 festival every June. Car show, music concerts, etc.

I live in western Colorado but I come through New Mexico three times a year, was just in Albuquerque last weekend. I kind of doubt there are anyone who lives in Tucumcari that are posting on city data at this time. But IMO the town is worth a look see. One thing about it you're not lacking for motel rooms there, there are nearly 1200 rooms there according to the Tucumcari Chamber Of Commerce. Speaking of which the C of C's phone number is 575-461-1694.

As far as bulk shopping goes, Amarillo would be the closest for stores such as Costco, Sam's Club, etc. K-Mart is there, last time I checked there still isn't a Walmart in Tucumcari. Amarillo is about an hour and a half's drive, Albuquerque two and a half.

Hope this helps a little and hope a current Tucumcari resident will opine here. It has been a while since Tucumcari has been discussed on this forum.

Good luck!

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-15-2017 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: addition, spelling

Old 10-27-2016, 05:56 PM

Thanks bunches dh! I did read your posts.
The VA hospital is in Amarillo so I'd be there on occasion anyway. It kinda sounded like tcc was trying to do some stuff. I will be checking it out, if I can just get some financing, but that's another story.
I've passed thru too a couple times, without stopping, many years ago. Both on 40 and 66. I like mid-century too. Is there an old-time soda/malt shop?
Thanks again for your input, I hope a real resident replies too!

Old 11-01-2016, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,821 times
I just moved to Tucumcari, less than 2 months ago. The streets in town are pretty clean, as well as easy to access. Many churches to choose from. Good size public library, one medium size chain grocery. I wish Wal-Mart was here, too. It's 93 miles away in Clovis. That's the closest one, sorry. Good size feed and supply store for ranchers, etc., here too. Small well built community college with an interesting curriculum. Town seems to have a number of small and medium parks. There is also.an older movie theater here, it has recently been renovated. The countryside around here outside of town can be considered breathtaking. Interesting rock formations, lovely native plants and wildflowers. Many ranches off the highway between Las Vegas, New Mexico and Tucumcari. I've seen deer, coyotes and many wild native bird species, right in town. It is very quiet here at night, too. Small police department, however, they seem to be busy making their presence known without being negative deliberately. Tucumcari Chamber of Commerce is very helpful and eager to give you a phone book and map of the town. There is a cool old train depot in town thats a museum now, too. I like the weather here, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico