Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:34 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,023,705 times

Advertisements

Per KRQE..Governor Bill Richardson says his focus is on New Mexico and a "health insurance coverage for every person in the state". Now only 1 in 5 New Mexicans does NOT have health insurance.
Yeah,Bill. Cost $70 million to $1Billion. Ok, I am trying to do the math but cannot come up with the answer, Help...
Does this mean that 20% are on medicare and private coverage. And of that 20% what is the split.

I know how much I could pay, but, what would I really get?

Something to think about..This would be a hit if Gov. Bill could make it work.
Ax the Spaceport..The RR?...

Hunter Wold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 10:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,916,246 times
At least Gov. Richardson is trying to make life better for more people than the already well off. Good for him.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:36 PM

382 posts, read 1,229,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
At least Gov. Richardson is trying to make life better for more people than the already well off. Good for him.
I did not think that was the Gov's job to make life better for people. I thought each of us was supposed to try and make our own lives better.

The gov. should be working on attracting industry, enforcing immigration law, and otherwise fostering an enviroment and economy that ensures that every New Mexican has the best opportunity to succeed on his own.

Social programs should be reserved for those who truly need it. It's tough to feel sorry for those who drive newer cars, carry cell phones, have cable TV, eat-out, and then complain that they are "poor". Read the report on "America's Poor" published about two years ago. Many of our poor are well-off by world standards; I don't think it should be taxpayer's responsibility to subsidize the bad decisions and poor judgement of many.

I recognize that there are those who truly need help, and am not suggesting otherwise.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,913,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
I did not think that was the Gov's job to make life better for people. I thought each of us was supposed to try and make our own lives better.

The gov. should be working on attracting industry, enforcing immigration law, and otherwise fostering an enviroment and economy that ensures that every New Mexican has the best opportunity to succeed on his own.

Social programs should be reserved for those who truly need it. It's tough to feel sorry for those who drive newer cars, carry cell phones, have cable TV, eat-out, and then complain that they are "poor". Read the report on "America's Poor" published about two years ago. Many of our poor are well-off by world standards; I don't think it should be taxpayer's responsibility to subsidize the bad decisions and poor judgement of many.

I recognize that there are those who truly need help, and am not suggesting otherwise.
I agree entirely! Those who truly need help....yes.

The others who think that it is the government's job to take care of them--even when they are able-bodied.....don't think so!!

Old 01-11-2008, 05:32 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,682,882 times
I noticed that he looked tired and plump on the campaign trail as i realise thats a tough way to live while running for office. But he looked more refreshed and charged up in Santa Fe today and seemed eager to get back to New mexico's needs as he's been gone for a year.

I did notice that Tim Jennings from Roswell was just elected Senate Pro Tem and although a Democrat he and Richardson do not get along as Jennings is very conservative so maybe both sides will come into play this year as the session starts on january 21 2008........

Old 01-11-2008, 06:43 PM

382 posts, read 1,229,397 times
I watched him tonight. He indicated he "was back". I wonder who was paying his salary while he was "gone"?

Old 01-12-2008, 07:24 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,682,882 times
Man talk about seeing results.....he's back a couple of days and now one of the canceled GRIP projects is starting on Monday from 98th street to Paseo Volcan on Interstate I-40 as they were setting up the orange barrels this morning.

It's going from 2 to 3 lanes going up 9 mile hill as that will be great as those Semi's only go about 25 MPH up that hill and bogged down traffic.

Crack that whip Bill !!

Old 01-12-2008, 09:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,842,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Per KRQE..Governor Bill Richardson says his focus is on New Mexico and a "health insurance coverage for every person in the state". Now only 1 in 5 New Mexicans does NOT have health insurance.
Yeah,Bill. Cost $70 million to $1Billion. Ok, I am trying to do the math but cannot come up with the answer, Help...
Does this mean that 20% are on medicare and private coverage. And of that 20% what is the split.

I know how much I could pay, but, what would I really get?

Something to think about..This would be a hit if Gov. Bill could make it work.
Ax the Spaceport..The RR?...

Hunter Wold
Sounds like some very large tax increases are coming up for New Mexico. Medicare and Medicaid are generally considered insured. I think he means to have illegals given health insurance.

You were better off with him gone and campaigning.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:14 PM

502 posts, read 1,383,002 times
"I did not think that was the Gov's job to make life better for people. I thought each of us was supposed to try and make our own lives better"

My lord, what are you thinking? Making people responsible for them selves. Dang, next thing you know you will be suggesting that people go out and get jobs to pay for the things they need

Old 01-12-2008, 04:15 PM

203 posts, read 715,411 times
Default making lives better

I couldn't agree more. That's why I think government should stop building roads, schools, airports, subsidizing fire and police departments, get out of water purification, parks, playgrounds, and zoning (if someone builds a rendering plant next to you, you can always sell at a loss and move to a new neighborhood)

Oh yeah, I forgot testing of pharmaceuticals, inspecting slaughterhouses and restaurants, building inspections, giving free vaccines, maintaining libraries and funding technological research.

I'm sure I forgot many ways government interferes in trying to make our lives better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico