Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 PM

5,027 posts, read 7,409,636 times

Advertisements

Having grown up in New York and traveled a lot I have to disagree with most of Joe Chip's post, except...

I will agree that people here are more laid-back. I wouldn't call it a lack of work ethic. It's just a different pace. Coming most recently from Boston, transferring to a similar job in ABQ, I quickly earned a reputation for being uptight, working too hard, and making my coworkers look like slackers. People had to tell me to slow down. Once I adjusted to the different pace, and realized there really wasn't anyone breathing down my neck anymore, I grew to enjoy it, and enjoy life more. Here in NM the standard working hours are 8-5; back East it was 9-5.

Obesity is an epidemic all over the country. Studies have shown, though, that New Mexico is better than most in this category. Obesity rates for select states in 2011:

Mississippi: 34.4%
West Virginia: 32.2%
Texas: 30.1%
Washington: 26.4%
New Mexico: 25.6%
Utah: 23.4%
Colorado: 19.8%

Old 06-24-2012, 07:48 PM

14 posts, read 24,412 times
Just to clarify - I didn't write this for people who live here - and are happy here. If you like it here, that's great. It's a big country. But I do think that someone thinking of moving to New Mexico should have a sense of what I - and many transplants - find to be the case.

As for my comment about New Mexicans being dumb. I will freely admit that I should have omitted that. There are, of course, many intelligent people in the city. But the overall average - both for intelligence and intellectual curiosity - is markedly lower than anywhere else I've lived, and this, also, is a common feeling among us temporary transplants to NM driven out by the friendly, open folks here.

Best of luck to all who choose remain here; I look forward (as George Baily says in It's a wonderful Life) to knocking the dust of this crumby little town off my shoes.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Joe Chip, don't the door hit you on the way out!
I think what you're trying to say is, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out." Just an FYI.

And trust me. It won't.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Next time I get a haircut in Santa Fe, I'll remind my Barber that he's supposed to be a 'dumb-n'-lazy' New Mexican with no work ethic!?

I'm sure he won't take it too badly, right?

Steve
I'm sure if he's a native New Mexican, he won't give a damn.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:06 PM

Apropos of the treatment of attractive women in ABQ:

Former New Mexico FBI Employee Says Co-Workers Were 'Jealous' of Her, Sues Employer For Discrimination - ABC News

Old 06-24-2012, 11:23 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Chip View Post
My wife, whom many find attractive laughed at your assertions of what it's like to be a well dressed attractive woman in Abq or NM. I could search local newspapers in any major city and find the same type or similar discrimination articles over the years. You're really stretching. I also bet the fbi field office has quite a few transplants like you.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
My wife, whom many find attractive laughed at your assertions of what it's like to be a well dressed attractive woman in Abq or NM. I could search local newspapers in any major city and find the same type or similar discrimination articles over the years. You're really stretching. I also bet the fbi field office has quite a few transplants like you.
There's a shock. When it comes down to it, another attack on "transplants." This is exactly what I mean. "Transplants." "Outsiders." Any of of the various other phrases New Mexicans use to make it clear that no one who isn't a Gallegos or a Chavez is welcome here.

Since you people obviously want to keep this miserable little city to yourselves, I'd think you'd welcome my posts. I'm doing my best to help others not make the mistake of moving to the least friendly state in the union.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:21 AM

5,027 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Quote:
There's a shock. When it comes down to it, another attack on "transplants." This is exactly what I mean. "Transplants." "Outsiders." Any of of the various other phrases New Mexicans use to make it clear that no one who isn't a Gallegos or a Chavez is welcome here.

Since you people obviously want to keep this miserable little city to yourselves, I'd think you'd welcome my posts. I'm doing my best to help others not make the mistake of moving to the least friendly state in the union.
I'm glad you straightened us out. We were really clueless as to why we were still living here until you came along. Thanks for providing this valuable service. I can't understand why you were unable to make friends here, you're quite the charmer. You should be fighting people off with your magnetic personality. Thanks for being the life of the party while you were here.

Love,

A fellow transplant

Old 06-25-2012, 08:31 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,665 times
Sorry you didn't like your time here Joe.
New Mexico isn't for everyone, and more than a few transplants have moved on to their own version of 'greener pastures'.

However, most stay classy and just pack up and leave.

As far as your post 'warning others' about fat women and dumb, lazy Hispanics in New Mexico?
Kinda speaks volumes about YOUR character, doesn't it?

Steve....another fellow transplant

Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,865 times
Quote:

Attack? Really? You consider that an attack? You want to see an attack? Uhm...read your own posts.

I was simply pointing out that Albuquerque his full of transplants. It isn't little ol' Hispanic Albuquerque any longer. I am sitting in an office hall right now where 4 of the 7 employees are transplants. All great people, both the natives and the transplants working cohesively together to accomplish something that everyone in uses constantly in their daily lives.

P.s. I'm neither a Gallegos nor a Chavez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico