Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,291,172 times

Advertisements

I wonder just where it is that Joe Chip thinks he'll be welcomed?

NYC?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,042,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
I wonder just where it is that Joe Chip thinks he'll be welcomed?

NYC?
White Knights of America compound?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:18 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,036,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Chip View Post
One quick addendum for Zoidberg. I did notice you didn't try to defend the driving skill here in ABQ!
Yeah, what's up with that? Driving speeds and skills are one of Zoidberg's favorite peeves.
Quote:
I think what you're trying to say is, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out." Just an FYI.
That's still wrong.

It should be "Don't let the door hit you in the a_s_s on the way out." Just an FYI.
The expression doesn't work without reference to where the door is going to make impact.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:31 AM

14 posts, read 24,187 times
You know? I fell in love with this state as soon as I moved here. Made every effort to adjust to the culture here. I'm deeply saddened that i have not been able to make a home here, though i dont, honestly, believe that is solely on my side. I've said things more directly than I should have - using a forum to vent really was rather absurd. But there's nothing I've said that I haven't heard from many - both natives and outsiders.

Apologies for any offense caused; though I do feel that NM would better served addressing the many problems here rather than consistently rationalizing those issues.

All the best to those who choose to remain enchanted - or entrapped.

Cheers!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:37 AM

14 posts, read 24,187 times
One final note. Acknowledging the heavy hispanic bias against Anglos in NM does not make me a racist. Hispanic prejudice against Anglos is a fact here, and that's where the racism lies. Another issue better addressed than ignored.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:13 PM

888 posts, read 1,183,348 times
Actually, it's a two-way street.

Hispanics have lived here for MANY generations, and deeply RESENT the wealthier Anglo newcomers raising their property taxes and talking 'down' to them.
On occasion, that resentment is misdirected against working class Anglos, who are pretty much in the same leaky financial boat that many Hispanics are in.
OTOH, with the usual air of class superiority that wealth often brings, monied Anglo newcomers often look with disdain (if not outright contempt) on the less fortunate Hispanic and Native American population here (poorer whites also).

Steve

Old 06-25-2012, 03:03 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,036,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
... with the usual air of class superiority that wealth often brings, monied
Anglo newcomers often look with disdain (if not outright contempt) ....
This isn't a race issue at all.

Rich newcomers chased out existing residents in Aspen a long time ago.

Rich people are chasing out existing residents in other towns.

Sometimes it's Asians moving in, other times, it's anglos.
I'm pretty confident that well-paid blacks are chasing out not so well-paid blacks in D.C.
.... I could go on ...

Lotsa historic districts in cities back East have experienced rebuilding and renewal from gentrification.

Here, in NM, we tend to think of it as [Anglos -> IN] and [Hispanics -> OUT],
but anglos and blacks have lived here for centuries also. If anyone thinks that
no blacks or anglos have been "kicked out" of places here in NM they are in denial.

It's really [ $$$$ -> IN] and [¢¢¢¢¢ -> OUT]. People like making stuff into a racial thing. It's more fun that way.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:37 PM

888 posts, read 1,183,348 times
mortimer.......

Interesting to see that you did NOT highlight my ENTIRE sentence, huh?
Just the part YOU wanted, in order to make it out like a racial post.

Steve

Old 06-25-2012, 05:33 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,337,365 times
That's still wrong.

It should be "Don't let the door hit you in the a_s_s on the way out." Just an FYI.
The expression doesn't work without reference to where the door is going to make impact.

This transplant thanks you Mortimer. ;-)

Old 06-25-2012, 05:42 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,410,571 times
Quote:
How do you start any sort of relationship when questions as simple as "What do you do?" are taboo?

Joe, I came out here from Palo Alto, CA, where the only thing of importance was a person's job, which is code for someone's status.
That's why I came here. Folks here seem to be more interested in who you are, rather than what you do, which equates to "How much do you make?"

I relocated because I was tired of the "What do you do?" questions, the "What do you drive?" questions, the "Where do you live?" questions.

If you were to stay here long enough, you'd understand what I'm saying. Que le vaya bien.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-25-2012 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico