Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:54 PM

1,204 posts, read 872,320 times

Advertisements

New Mexico is on our short list of locations to move to when that blessed retirement day hits in a couple of years. Also on our short list is to move back to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. But, the winter time where we presently live is beginning to wear on us so the UP may be out.

Anyway, we have frequently been to and through NM on our way to AZ. The one concern I have is as the title suggests.

For a person with "bugaphobia" how does one adapt?
What can we do to the yard, so any dog(s) we have aren't in harms way?
Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?
Are fireants and killer bees in NM?

We really are interested in NM as our new home and are thinking the Las Cruces area. Not to big and not too small. We aren't fancy, not into shopping, kind of laid back, tend to like Rock and Roll, drinking a few beers at time(sometimes to excess) and have been known to indulge in a special herbal gift provided by mother nature.

Just looking for some place warm to kick and watch the sunset.

Thanks much.

Thom of Jim and Thom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 07:28 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,915 times
Mountain out of a molehill.

30+ years living here and while I've seen hundreds of black widows I've never known anybody that was bitten. It does happen but you'll figure where they live and you won't stick your hand there. Same goes for snakes except I've only seen maybe a dozen of them. Plus they give you a warning. I did have a dog that got snake bit but she was running loose in the desert on the far edge of town. 28 lb brittany and she survived just fine although my wallet took a hit.

None of the critters here are really lethal and all are easily avoidable with a minimum of common sense. Getting stuck in the desert and not having water is the most likely and serious thing you might encounter. And if you're smart you won't encounter that.

Cruces seems like a place you might like. I enjoy the things you've mentioned and it suits me.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:39 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
For a person with "bugaphobia" how does one adapt?
Take reasonable steps and become knowledgeable...

Quote:
What can we do to the yard, so any dog(s) we have aren't in harms way?
We live in Rio Rancho, The next city north of Albuquerque. We have had dogs here since 1998, including fostered dogs. They have been indoor dogs which have been trained by real trainers. The worst we have had happen is two dogs were sprayed by skunks at night on separate occasions. There are real steps to take and there are internet solutions...

Quote:
Are fireants and killer bees in NM?
I use ant bait, but have not seen fire ants in this area. No killer bees. I'm more concerned with wasps. My wife got stung once since 1998.

There is a lot of information in the following threads:

Threads with bugs in the title:

Pests, Bugs, Insects And Irritants/Threats To People/Dogs
Encounters With Bugs. Snakes, Cougars, Bears etc.
tiny flying bugs in the house!
What Kind Of BUGS Can I Expect To Get Into The House In Rio Rancho?
bugs and insects in your part of the state
Bugs and critters

You might read through these threads with 'scorpions' in the title:

Scorpions?!
Centipedes, Scorpions
Spiders, Scorpions and Snakes
Rattlesnakes, Scorpions, Spiders And Other Lovelies
Scorpions
Tarantulas, Scorpions and Snakes

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-05-2015 at 07:39 AM..

Old 04-04-2015, 08:10 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
In today's news (4/4/2015):

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S3755873.shtml?cat=504#.VR_v-uF50_c

Quote:
Veterinarians say they're seeing more and more dogs coming in with a potentially deadly snake bite.
Vets say they see it every year around this time when rattlesnakes start to come out of hibernation.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the responses.

Poncho---- Thanks for the links. My search skill must be a bit lacking. Those are exactly the type of links I needed.

TKO---- would you mind if I were to PM you sometime with questions?

Joqua----

Over the last couple of years we have been doing the pros/cons of areas to live in and NM really came to the top. While we don't mind winter, the length of winter has become an issue. We want a decent medical system, it doesn't have to be world class. The presence of a university is a plus as we believe that institution helps culturally and economically. COL is important, but down on the list. We will be financially comfortable but as we have aged our mentality is more towards simple, so our spending wants are very few. Our only car, is a 8 year old Ford Focus wagon. That probably sums up our spending habits.

We have joked that if we moved back to Soo, MI we would spend our days watching the freighters go by. In NM, we will watch the sunrises and sunsets. As long as we are doing it together, it doesn't matter how mundane and boring it seems it could be.

Thanks again.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
I lived in Las Cruces for five years. Never saw or heard a snake of any type. We did have ants and spiders, but regular treatment around the house kept them under control.

Something that people are often surprised by are the birds of prey - hawks and owls mostly.
They will attack and injure/kill small dogs but they don't pose a threat to humans.

And of course, there are the ubiquitous coyotes, more often heard than seen. Lots of cats and small dogs do go missing if allowed/left outside.

Overall, though, I found LC to be one of the most bug-free places I've lived.
Lots of lovely summer evenings spent outside unbothered by bitey things.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:45 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Every state has poisonous and biting critters. I don't understand why New Mexico is singled out with queries about the things.

If anything, due to the general climate here, dry as a bone, the density of critters is lower than most places.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:50 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,915 times
I did watch a redtail hawk fly about a foot and a half above my little terrier for a stretch at the river but he backed off. Would have been traumatic. We lost a few cats when I was growing up, I'm sure to the coyotes so there is that too.

You're welcome to pm me Thom.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Every state has poisonous and biting critters. I don't understand why New Mexico is singled out with queries about the things.

If anything, due to the general climate here, dry as a bone, the density of critters is lower than most places.

Your response got me to go do some digging and did find out that we do have a northern black widow. Never knew that. Brown Recluse is making its way here but essentially an import. Always knew that we had a smallish rattlesnake, that is becoming very rare.

I'm sure you are correct that the bug thing about the SW is at least partly urban legend.

TigerLilly-- we are in the middle of greater suburbia and have coyotes here. I've never seen one/pack but pictures from the park a 1/2 mile down the road have caught them.

We would have a secured backyard no matter where we live as two of our dogs are deaf Boxers. The other two are a Shepard and an Olde English Sheepdog. We went a bit nuts a few years ago, our group is aged 4,5,6 and 7. I suspect they will be alive when the move comes.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:51 AM

462 posts, read 1,008,842 times
JimandThom,
We live out in the mountains outside of ABQ. Never have seen a snake out here nor any 'bad' spiders. I've seen very small spiders ~ no biggy. If I see something, I check it out on the internet to see what it is. During the winter, I seldom see spiders. The only time I ever start seeing spiders are around the beginning of Fall. It's not a biggie. They are much more afraid of people; i.e. they're easily killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico