Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 01:07 AM

13 posts, read 35,846 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm new here. I have a pressing question of which I really need some advice about. My husband says, "It's up to you dear.", and that's no help. I've been trying to decide for the past year on where we should move to and it's driving me crazy! Let me just briefly explain, we have children that are being educated at home, so public schools are not an issue. Okay, now we own a home in Las Cruces and we'd like to sell it - we've out-grown it and would like to rebuild in a rural area. Here are the two choices I've been trying to decide upon: We like a 7 acre property in Akela which will cost about $30k total (has everything but a well & septic), it's very beautiful with wide open spaces. But living there would mean that our children will eventually have to commute to Las Cruces (about 40 miles) to attend NMSU. The I10 freeway would be their route, and that stretch is sometimes closed due to sandstorms, plus the speed limit is 75! The other alternative is moving to our, already paid for, 1.25 acre property up in Timberon. However, living there would mean that our children would eventually have to move out altogether in order to pursue a college career, and probably just come home on vacation days (closest 2 year community college only in Alamogordo). So, I ask myself, why build a larger home if the kids are going to be going away to college. Part of the reason for a larger home was to keep 'em home and not at the dorms or some apartment. Don't get me wrong, when it's time for them to leave the nest I'll be rootin' them on. I just want to make the right decision, because I don't want to move again. So, what would you do? I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Last edited by 1hottamale; 11-12-2006 at 01:28 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 06:35 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,979 times
Hi 1hottamale, there is an old Chinese saying that says, "when you ask a personal question, you already know the answer." In other words, nobody can answer that one better than yourself. I will give you my advice but ultimately you have to answer it from your heart. I personally would not want my kids on I-10 going to school everyday. The sandstorms can be really fierce, as you know, and visibility can be almost nada. I think I would have my kids stay right on campus via dorms. It makes it so much easier for them, safer and they can spend more time studying rather than driving. You might go ahead and start building your dream home, with enough room for the kids, but not too large so when they leave, it won't be much on upkeep. You can still leave room enough for them to come visit though. Then when it is time, send them to college and have them stay at the dorms. That is my opinion.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:32 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times
That is a tough one. Congrats on homeschooling BTW...I hope to do the same with my kids.

I lived in the dorms my first year of school and i got 0 accomplished. It was hard with the partying and the noise and the rooms were small and it was expensive, holy cow! the food was awful too... When I moved out of the dorms I did much better.

Any chance you can find a property closer or stick it out until you can? This way even if they do want to live in the dorms they can escape to mom and dad's for a good meal and night's rest?

Old 11-12-2006, 01:29 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,965 times
Is it possible to build in timberon and keep the place in Cruces? Maybe rent the place in Cruces until the kids are ready for college. Let them live in the place while attending school. Then you could sell the place after the kids get done with school.

Is NMSU the only option for your kids?

Old 11-12-2006, 09:18 PM

Hi all,
Hey, thanks for all the replies. Crackerjack, you're right about the proverb, but, since I've been having such a hard time deciding this, I could really use all the good advice I can get. And yours is very sound - I like it. Hi Winnie, we love homeschooling and I know you will, too. I've searched hi & lo looking for properties out in this area, but in order for us to get the sq. footage that we want for our house means that we can't spend too much on land. Unfortunately, out here the land is outrageously expensive! I'm amazed about how people can afford to live here. yb, I wish we could keep our home here & then build in Timberon, but we just can't afford that. But, wouldn't that be perfect? Now that you mention it NMSU isn't the only option. There are two 2 year colleges closer to Timberon - one is in Alamogordo & the other in Ruidoso, and now that I think of it there's also the online degree programs. Never really thought of all that - hmm! These comments and questions have opened a little window of light for me. Thanks all!

Old 11-12-2006, 11:34 PM

There are many, many online programs and mail programs that are reputable.

I got my RN from Excelsior College in NY, I did all the work at home and went for my challenge course in 1 weekend and that was it!

Also took classes from Texas Tech University, they offer a ton of classes, Southwestern texas State University I took some classes through but I like TTU better. I know Clovis Community College does several online courses..you can do a websearch for colleges that offer those courses there are many and you would be surprised at how people recieve your job application when they realize you managed your college career in that way (I took on site courses too).

Good luck with your decision..Just FYI - 7 acres up here in NY/PA area can run you 100K just for the land, sometimes as much as 200K+...

Old 11-13-2006, 07:40 PM

215 posts, read 840,018 times
How old are your kids now? I gather that they are still quite young (just a guess), and this would explain why you seem to be thinking for them. I don't mean this as a criticism. It's only natural for a parent to want what's best for her kids throughout their lives.

However, remember that by the time they reach college, they will be adults. They will have their own decisions to make. They might want to go back East for college. That's what my sister did. I stayed home and commuted 50 miles each way, each day, to and from Hollywood. If you think I-10 near Cruces is dangerous, try Los Angeles. Again, your kids will be adults. Let them face the dangerous world on their own when the time comes.

Unless they are off to college in the next two years, I say relax and enjoy living wherever you please, especially if you are homeschooling.

If you don't want to move again, then you should be thinking long term about yourself and your husband. Timberon is more than an hour from a hospital -- when the road is clear. There is nothing there and never will be. It's a getaway community for people with second homes or for people with few needs for the outside world. It's beautiful, but is it practical for you?

You might be better of just staying where you are. If you think you've outgrown your current house, don't be so sure until you think about it some more. There are all kinds of space-management ideas to consider. Cruces is not rural, but from what you are indicating your priorities are, it has everything you need for now and for the long-term future. If you don't like it there, that's another matter. But from a practical standpoint, is seems hard to beat.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:50 PM

215 posts, read 840,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hottamale View Post
We like a 7 acre property in Akela which will cost about $30k total (has everything but a well & septic),
One more thing. Do not underestimate the cost of site preparation. I've been there and done that. Site prep cost me almost twice as much as my land. Wells get expensive really fast at $30-$50 per foot. And you'd better know the water history of the area. A 300-foot well can run forever, or it can dry up at any time. Prepare to haul water in a worst-case scenario. It's not uncommon in southern NM.

This is not to discourage you. Just don't expect things to cost what you think they will cost. Whatever you think your dream home will cost, double that amount. Then, when it ends up costing only 50 percent more than you expected, you'll be pleasantly surprised when it comes in at 75 percent of what you prepared for. I am not exaggerating.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:00 AM

Jecc, I have to tell ya, love your words . Everyone here (family & friends) wants us to stay put, but we are coming out the seams in our home. Our oldest will be attending college in a couple of years. We don't want to live in the city, there's just too much going on that we don't like. You're completely right - my husband & I have to look ahead for ourselves, too. Maybe that's what has me so undecided, we have to choose a location where everyone (not just me or our eldest) will be happy & have their needs met.

Winnie, as far as getting a degree online, would potential employers look at that type of educational background favorably? I hear ya about the land prices. If you try to purchase anything in LC your looking at @$100k for a quarter acre, or in the near surrounding areas you could be looking at $55k on up an acre! How crazy is that? In areas like Akela they are still reasonable, but it's because the land is far from LC and it really is the boonies.

Thanks guys - it's so helpful to have impartial views

Old 11-14-2006, 06:25 PM

My employer did look at it favorably. I was hired as an LPN at a hospital who is world renowned for their care, and had not hired an LPN in about many years. (I went on to get my RN through Excelsior later that year). I also did exceptionally well on my state boards, took them in 15 minutes and passed the first time, I attribute this to the experiences I got through Excelsior. Many of my "brick and mortar" coworkers struggled through the test and failed the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico