Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 03:49 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydeaux3 View Post
I grew up in a small town in Missouri. All of the time I lived there the population was less than 5000 (now maybe 7000, probably less). But they called themselves a city.

One year they put up signs at all of the entrances to town that said "De Soto - 4th Class City"

Somebody got up in the middle of the night and painted over the 4s to make them 1s. And that was it. The signs stayed up for a long, long time (3 or 4 years) saying "De Soto - 1th Class City"
I wonder if Jay Nixon was the person that altered that sign!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 05:32 PM

138 posts, read 145,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I wonder if Jay Nixon was the person that altered that sign!
I think he was too young at the time. I was barely old enough to try something like that and I was three years older than him.

He lived a block away from me. I went to school with his sister Mindy. He was the same age as my sister. We used to play corner lot softball in a spot next to his house (he didn't play with us).

I remember him, but not too well. I do recall thinking he was pretty much a douche when we were kids, not in so many words. Never saw him after I left in 1973. (Actually, I may not have seen him after I left high school in 1971, but he was so non-descript that I can't remember for sure.) He seemed pretty much the same sort of douche as governor.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:53 PM

480 posts, read 316,263 times
Reserve, NM is quite pretty, surrounded by the Gila mountains. One of the few places in southern NM with a river going through it. San Francisco R.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:34 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insulator_king View Post
Reserve, NM is quite pretty, surrounded by the Gila mountains. One of the few places in southern NM with a river going through it. San Francisco R.
Agree, and it’s average monthly daytime highs are are almost perfect...year round,
but the lows are chilly, about a 40 degree difference from average high to low.
Huge diurnal range (even by NM standards). Temp drops like a stone at night,
a real “frost hollow”. Nearby Glenwood has a better climate with average january
high 57F and low 27F.

Reserve january average high is 56F (very nice) but the average january low is 17F
(not so nice). 1981-2010 climate normals.

So Reserve has the same average january high as Alamogordo but it’s average
january low is the same as Santa Fe.

Alamogordo january temps are, average high 56F ...average low 32F (1981-2010 climate normals).

Santa Fe january temps are, average high 44F ....average low 17F (1981-2010 climate normals).

Last edited by BMI; 02-10-2019 at 12:42 AM..

Old 02-10-2019, 09:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Here are the 10 best places to live in New Mexico for 2019:

1. Corrales
2. Rio Rancho
3. Ruidoso
4. Los Ranchos de Albuquerque
5. Santa Fe
6. Carlsbad
7. Artesia
8. Alamogordo
9. Farmington
10. Albuquerque

Entire Article At: https://www.homesnacks.net/these-are...mexico-125123/

Old 02-10-2019, 10:07 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
8. Alamogordo

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:15 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetorician View Post
I, also, am thinking about a move to NM and would like to find a city with warmer winters and some greenery. (I'd move to Santa Fe in a minute if it didn't have such cold winters.) I know that few places in NM are going to have the forests of trees we have in northeast TX, but a place with even moderate greenery would be very welcomed. Good luck in your search, Popcorn, and thanks to anyone who replies to my comments.
Taos looks pretty green to me, compared to Santa Fe, and has creeks running through town. NM winters have been a lot milder in the last decade or so, compared to the 90's and earlier. The climate has changed. When were you in Santa Fe, that you experienced what was a very cold winter in your opinion?

Old 02-11-2019, 09:25 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetorician View Post
I, also, am thinking about a move to NM and would like to find a city with warmer winters and some greenery. (I'd move to Santa Fe in a minute if it didn't have such cold winters.) I know that few places in NM are going to have the forests of trees we have in northeast TX, but a place with even moderate greenery would be very welcomed.
If you like size and amenities of Santa Fe except for the cold winters you are probably out of luck. The southern part of the state has milder year round temperatures at the higher elevations, and greenery there too, but the towns are small compared to Santa Fe.

Ruidoso is about the same elevation as Santa Fe, but about 5 degrees warmer in winter and 5 degrees cooler in summer, and is in a pine forest. Ruidoso, Ruidoso Downs, and Alto are all together and have ~12k population. It's about an hour to the big town of Alamogordo.

East of Alamogordo on the way to Cloudcroft, there are the little communities of High Rolls, and Mountain Park. They are quite green, have a mild climate, and are an easy drive to Alamogordo ~10 miles down the hill.

Silver City is another option that is lower elevation (6k ft) and a little warmer, but it's quite isolated.

As someone mentioned Glenwood is green and warm, but it's a tiny town a long way from anywhere.

If I knew more about what you are looking for besides winter warmth and greenery it might be easier to advise.

In addition to Citydata pages, this is a good place to browse climate info:
https://wrcc.dri.edu/Climsum.html

Old 03-07-2019, 10:19 AM

60 posts, read 50,284 times
Default NM as a place to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I am considering a move to New Mexico now that I am retired. I am looking for an area that has a cooler summer (few 90°+ days) and moderate winters. What areas of the state would have this kind of climate?

I have lived all over the SW and prefer southern NM. I am in Luna County and we have a philosophy of the code of the west. You are waved at by your neighbor and you wave back and may not know their name.
The temp is reasonable in the winter when maybe one day or two might get down to 19 and the days at 50-60. Summer will get up in the 90's and as it is not humid and in single digits, your air cooler works very well and does not cost a lot. A lot of the time you can open your windows and turn on your vent blower and be comfortable. The cost of living is low so SS works very well as to expenses. Now the only bad part is the quality of medical care provided in the county where there are many nurse practitioners but they seem to think they are god! To get real caring care you probably need to got to Silver City. Los Cruses or El Passo TX. The local Hospital I have found is exceptional and would recommend id as their care and more important caring is first rate at least when I needed a hospital. Luna is a laid back neighbor friendly community and you get treated the same you threat them! Remember, what goes around comes around!
For more information about Luna County go to the County Managers web sight and read a document called The Code Of The West and it will explain all about living here.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:29 AM

60 posts, read 50,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
If you like size and amenities of Santa Fe except for the cold winters you are probably out of luck. The southern part of the state has milder year round temperatures at the higher elevations, and greenery there too, but the towns are small compared to Santa Fe.

Ruidoso is about the same elevation as Santa Fe, but about 5 degrees warmer in winter and 5 degrees cooler in summer, and is in a pine forest. Ruidoso, Ruidoso Downs, and Alto are all together and have ~12k population. It's about an hour to the big town of Alamogordo.

East of Alamogordo on the way to Cloudcroft, there are the little communities of High Rolls, and Mountain Park. They are quite green, have a mild climate, and are an easy drive to Alamogordo ~10 miles down the hill.

Silver City is another option that is lower elevation (6k ft) and a little warmer, but it's quite isolated.

As someone mentioned Glenwood is green and warm, but it's a tiny town a long way from anywhere.

If I knew more about what you are looking for besides winter warmth and greenery it might be easier to advise.

In addition to Citydata pages, this is a good place to browse climate info:
https://wrcc.dri.edu/Climsum.html

As far as NM goes there are small areas of greenery. Most is desert and all green is the desert plants that grow here. The temps are nice yet can get from 18 to 100 degrees depending on the time of year. The vista where I am is great with two mountain ranges in close and in total just beautiful. Great place for walking, astronomy, history, and not having to put up with people wanting to take away your constitutional rights such the right to own and carry a firearm. WE are old fashioned in many ways so be per-paired to live the life you want to live where you can be a good neighbor and find the same in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico