Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 10:23 AM

5,060 posts, read 7,455,196 times

Advertisements

Mariachi music is a more recent export from central Mexico that is not native of New Mexico, but has been embraced by local musicians, some with older New Mexico roots, some with more recent roots from Mexico. I don't think these ladies are plotting to overtake our culture (but it might be fun if they did):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onUlFrRRT-g
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 11:03 AM

4,889 posts, read 4,837,424 times
Or, metalachi.

| The Official Casa of Metalachi: The World's First and Only Heavy Metal Mariachi Band

Old 01-06-2016, 11:47 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,421,152 times
Another Mexican tradition catching on in New Mexico is plastic-molded bull's balls hanging from the hitch on pick-up trucks.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:23 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,288,194 times
Truck nuts are a Mexican thing? I always figured they came from the SE.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:22 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,457,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Me too. They have always seemed like a redneck thing than a Mexican one.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:34 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,457,141 times
While northern New Mexican Hispanic culture does have Spanish roots, it it also a borderland culture that has existed for centuries on the margins of New Spain/Mexico and other cultures (first the Comanches, Apaches and other nomadic tribes, later the United States). It is distinct in many ways (cuisine, language, art), but has also always participated in the broader Mexican/Hispano culture of the borderlands. Today New Mexico is much less isolated and thus more open to immigration from elsewhere (Mexico as well as the rest of the United States), but these new arrivals and the cultural changes they bring are accommodated into the whole much as they have been for centuries. As for "traditional" northern Hispano society, it's always been a rural culture, not an urban one, and continues to be strongest in the small villages throughout the state where families can trace their roots back to the 18th century or earlier. To the extent that anything has been "lost" over the last century, those losses are due to broader changes in New Mexican society (urbanization/suburbanization, less isolation through better roads, TV, etc., the end of village-level subsistence farming, the arrival of a cash-based economy) that have had an impact on rural life everywhere in the US.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:19 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
No, they are not Mexican, they started in the USA.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,421,152 times
They may have originated in America, but one thing is for sure, Mexicans love 'em.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:03 PM

21 posts, read 22,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
So proud that no one has taken the bait on this thread. I love New Mexico.
ok, im not sure why you guys say im baiting you. i know next to nothing about new mexico, so if i unintentionally said something provocative, tell me what it was exactly, and why it is

Old 01-06-2016, 11:07 PM

21 posts, read 22,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Not trying to be provocative, but what "old culture" are you referring to?

A wonderful history of Mesilla, which lies just southwest of Las Cruces.

Mesilla Plaza---American Latino Heritage: A Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itinerary

heh, well herein lies the problem about asking questions about things you know little about. i was under the mistaken impression that new mexico had some unique culture for the past 300-400 years that was a blend of spaniards and pueblos, and that it was a culture that had developed separately from mexico and the united states.

seems like im wrong

and apparently i must have hit a nerve cause people think im baiting them

sorry guys, really wasnt trying to start anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico