U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,932 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about relocating to Los Lunas this year. Can anyone tell me what the crime level is. I come from a small town in Ohio where there is hardly any crime...ie..burglary, drugs, but no murders. I found a house outside of town in a great area and just wanted to know will I feel safe there?

Any answers would be very helpful in making my determination.

Thanks,

Dave
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 02:26 AM

3,690 posts, read 8,183,266 times
Los Lunas covers quite a lot of ground. As with most things, it depends.

The neighboring community of Meadow Lake has had a lot of crime problems.
Other neighboring communities (and parts of LL) are actually pretty safe.

"outside of town" is a red flag. Points west tend to be a little safer than points east, but without more details that may not apply.

Burglaries, drugs, and domestic violence are what keep the numbers in that area high.

That area isn't my cup of tea, but if I had a job and/or family there (and not in Albuquerque) I might consider living there.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:52 PM

39 posts, read 59,830 times
I lived in LL Hunning Ranch for three years and the only problem I ever had with Crime was when we had a rash of Dog poisioning in the area. Otherwise peaceful and quiet. Not very sociable community if you’re not from there but low crime.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:16 PM

26,534 posts, read 45,565,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinakron View Post
I am thinking about relocating to Los Lunas this year. Can anyone tell me what the crime level is. I come from a small town in Ohio where there is hardly any crime...ie..burglary, drugs, but no murders. I found a house outside of town in a great area and just wanted to know will I feel safe there?

Any answers would be very helpful in making my determination.

Thanks,

Dave
City Data has a page Crime rate in Los Lunas, New Mexico (NM)

We know three sets of families which have lived in Los Lunas over 15 years.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:38 PM

88,658 posts, read 82,768,188 times
Could anyone tell me why Los Lunas is not called "LAS Lunas", as any Spanish speaker thinks it should be?

Old 07-18-2018, 12:52 PM

26,534 posts, read 45,565,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Could anyone tell me why Los Lunas is not called "LAS Lunas", as any Spanish speaker thinks it should be?
The name of the area was after the Luna family, who originally settled in the area. In Spanish it should have been called Los Luna or perhaps Los Luna's. Somewhere someone anglicized the name Los Lunas....

https://www.houseofnames.com/luna-family-crest

Old 07-18-2018, 02:18 PM

88,658 posts, read 82,768,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The name of the area was after the Luna family, who originally settled in the area. In Spanish it should have been called Los Luna or perhaps Los Luna's. Somewhere someone anglicized the name Los Lunas....

https://www.houseofnames.com/luna-family-crest
Thank you. That makes sense. I figured you'd have the answer.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:53 PM

53 posts, read 44,567 times
Default Los Lunas, NM and the 4 Horsemen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Los Lunas covers quite a lot of ground. As with most things, it depends.
The neighboring community of Meadow Lake has had a lot of crime problems. Other neighboring communities (and parts of LL) are actually pretty safe. "outside of town" is a red flag. Points west tend to be a little safer than points east, but without more details that may not apply. Burglaries, drugs, and domestic violence are what keep the numbers in that area high. That area isn't my cup of tea, but if I had a job and/or family there (and not in Albuquerque) I might consider living there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayaz View Post
I lived in LL Hunning Ranch for three years and the only problem I ever had with Crime was when we had a rash of Dog poisioning in the area. Otherwise peaceful and quiet. Not very sociable community if you’re not from there but low crime.
I would love to retire in NM, though its not especially income tax friendly to seniors. https://rpea.org/retirement-planning...-tax-by-state/

And especially not to single seniors.
https://smartasset.com/retirement/ne...xes#uhLyGpCSW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afOPDv3gqXY

A Las Cruces realtor said that I might like Socorro and/or Los Lunas. I wonder……

Snakes and other venomous creatures who do their hunting at night means that giving up the moonlit strolls I enjoyed on Long Island, at least if the desert is not far from my I backyard . https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...38/5/e20160491

After doing weeks of research from Gallup and Framington down to Las Crucas, among the biggest risks are burglaries https://www.safehome.org/resources/a...gerous-states/

https://www.safehome.org/resources/s...est-break-ins/

What I don't understand about LL, Las Crucas and other areas where homes sell for $300K and up is how can there be this much crime without a respectable police presence. Or is there in fact not much of one? If yes, what's the excuse? Poor salaries? Overwhelming criminal acts versus per square mile? Overcrowded prisons and/or the costs of incarcerations? Police commissioners and/or elected reps who are corrupt and incompetent? Homeowners and businesses who refuse to higher taxation to fight the problem? It's a big worry for would be NM transplants who live for their stuff and don't want it burgled, or getting murdered or maimed in the process.

Beyond those dangers, it's the four climatic dangers which are the probably most terrifying and potentially the most financially ruinous if they do enough damage to your home that your insurance won't cover. At least earthquakes look to be no more threatening than in NY.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014...us-earthquakes

But tornados really scare the crap out of me, which except along the western and especially eastern borders don't happen very often. I've yet to ever see one on Long Island. NY averages 12 yearly but the vast majority are Category 0 thru 2. Worst case, they may tear your roof off in upstate NY, which is certainly bad enough.
https://www.ustornadoes.com/2013/03/...te-and-region/

Ultimately, if I'm compelled to retire to upstate NY, if I can stay far from rivers big creeks and lakes I should be safe from flooding.

Are most of the roads paved in Los Lunas? If yes, do most have sewer drains? If not then that could be the main reason for the flooding. Culvert piping under the roads would pass the waters far enough out to flood plains. Unless the floods are happening for some other reason (s), I would very much hope that most of the roads are NOT paved. Otherwise, the town will have to eventually waste money and time tearing up the road to lay culvert piping and sewer drains.

But if roads are about to be paved for the first time Los Lunas best vote to issue bonds to finance the projects and/or think about raising taxes to get it done. Then again some communities are content to take chances, even as human induced climate change will likely make flooding happen more often and cause more property loss-and higher home insurance rates. And Socorro is shown here to be the most expensive to insure.
https://www.betterflood.com/the-floo...e-albuquerque/

Speaking of climate change, are wildfires now more frequent and/or intense than they were 12 years ago in Los Lunas?

Of course I realize that no state or section of a state will be perfect for everyone but some may hit more marks for each than others. But there's so many landscapes in NM that are so unique and alluring that I had to ask those who live there what it's like, and if it would really be sensible for me to consider living there.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:37 AM

5 posts, read 2,571 times
Default Los Lunas

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Ultimately, if I'm compelled to retire to upstate NY, if I can stay far from rivers big creeks and lakes I should be safe from flooding.

Are most of the roads paved in Los Lunas? If yes, do most have sewer drains? If not then that could be the main reason for the flooding. Culvert piping under the roads would pass the waters far enough out to flood plains. Unless the floods are happening for some other reason (s), I would very much hope that most of the roads are NOT paved. Otherwise, the town will have to eventually waste money and time tearing up the road to lay culvert piping and sewer drains.

But if roads are about to be paved for the first time Los Lunas best vote to issue bonds to finance the projects and/or think about raising taxes to get it done. Then again some communities are content to take chances, even as human induced climate change will likely make flooding happen more often and cause more property loss-and higher home insurance rates. And Socorro is shown here to be the most expensive to insure.
[URL
https://www.betterflood.com/the-flood-insurance-new-mexico-sana-fe-albuquerque/[/url]
The Rio Grande river flows through Los Lunas and Socorro.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:36 AM

77,813 posts, read 92,084,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptianYesterday View Post
The Rio Grande river flows through Los Lunas and Socorro.
Welcome to City Data: just an fyi: did you notice the poster posted the question 4 1/2 years ago? I am relatively sure he has made a decision as to where to live by now. And yes, your brief answer is correct.

For anyone who does want to know about Los Lunas, yes, they have sewers and paved streets.

For the person who mentioned NM was the 3rd place to retire in the country: studies and stats can always be taken with a grain of salt: when we decided to retire in NM, it was partially because of the high ratings as a good state for retiring. For us, this was not the case, but hardly would I think of it as one of the worst states either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico