Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 06:35 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times

Advertisements

Real offer came in the e-mail yesterday, and it's fantastic. I will review it this weekend with my wife (complete glee!!) and continue gathering all the information for my New Mexico license. That is not a small project, those of you who've worked more than a few states in medical jobs know what I'm talking about. I will need to do some online CEU's, too, and take copies of the completion printouts from those, too. I bought the large envelope for all these papers at the Chelan Wal*Mart yesterday. So I'll have a fairly active weekend of paperwork, all of it going towards the overall goal of heading home to New Mexico. We get free hospital housing for a few months while we land on our feet down there - after a week or so of settling and my hospital orientation and waiting for my NM license to come in the mail, we'll gather financial papers and crunch housing purchase numbers with a mortgage broker in Alamogordo. We'll ask friends from our place of worship for help.

Yaa-hoooooo! I know places change, jobs change and rules change, but, I'm thinking that this will be a good move for my wife and I. The old friends from work and worship will help cushion the rough edges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 07:13 AM

232 posts, read 302,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Real offer came in the e-mail yesterday, and it's fantastic. I will review it this weekend with my wife (complete glee!!) and continue gathering all the information for my New Mexico license. That is not a small project, those of you who've worked more than a few states in medical jobs know what I'm talking about. I will need to do some online CEU's, too, and take copies of the completion printouts from those, too. I bought the large envelope for all these papers at the Chelan Wal*Mart yesterday. So I'll have a fairly active weekend of paperwork, all of it going towards the overall goal of heading home to New Mexico. We get free hospital housing for a few months while we land on our feet down there - after a week or so of settling and my hospital orientation and waiting for my NM license to come in the mail, we'll gather financial papers and crunch housing purchase numbers with a mortgage broker in Alamogordo. We'll ask friends from our place of worship for help.

Yaa-hoooooo! I know places change, jobs change and rules change, but, I'm thinking that this will be a good move for my wife and I. The old friends from work and worship will help cushion the rough edges.
"I know places change, jobs change and rules change,....":

Boy is that ever true! You left out one important factor elko: friends "change" too. Elko ever hear of the quote: "Out of sight, out of mind"? My mother always said that to me in my "wander-lust" days. Only thing is she was NEVER out of my mind...even NOW with her passing. I looked up that quote on "Brainyquote" to see who authored it and found an interesting FINISH to it: "Out of sight, out of mind....the absent are always in the wrong."----Thomas 'e Kempis. Think about it elko...very true.

Not to throw any dirt on your glee elko but being a nurse (as U know) I know all about license upkeep and how they can lapse. In fact I kept my license in MA active for a few years even after I left the state. It was hard to acquire and I love the state. NM is not into much legalities so it should be easy for you. In this digital age...no problem. The libraries are great today.

Congrats for you and your wife and welcome back to the desert Southwest.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:42 AM

Yep, I'm off of work for 6 days so now's the time to motor through the 8 CEU's I still need to complete to qualify for the State of New Mexico's initial application for RT requirements. I will attempt to get all 8 of those done today and mail off the package later this afternoon at the local post office. The sooner they get that in Santa Fe the sooner they can grant me the license, so I've got my work cut out for me.

Appreciate your comments, tommyp1, and actually agree with them all. Just kidding! Thanks for the congratulations and we're both happy to be heading home to the southern New Mexico region. Hey, off topic, if any of y'all want to watch a great TV series on video get yourself a DVD of 'Longmire.' Exciting action, mystery and romance are all intertwined with the great scenery of New Mexico. Walt Longmire is the Sheriff of Absaroca County in Wyoming. The location is supposed to be Wyoming but it's filmed in New Mexico. I always enjoy the houses with their New Mexico getup and all of the wide open scenery. New Mexico is big and wide and open - to me that spells calm and relaxing. Nice.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:05 AM

Well elko never "off topic" with Westerns since I grew up with them: "Lone Ranger" etc. But "filmed in NM...but about Wyoming" may not sway me, not a fan of WY...but I may check it out. I think Robert Redford's "Milagro Beanfield War" was filmed in Northern NM. But more to my generation is "The Rifleman" with Chuck Connors and Johnny Crawford...about a widower and his son starting a ranch in NM territory 1880's but filmed mostly in CA. It WAS a "Rifleman" Christmas for me...I ordered the entire 5 Season series: 168 episodes. Johnny Crawford is my age and still alive. Chuck Connors killed himself with cigarettes (b/4 the Surgeon General's warning went on cigarette packs in the 60's and typical for actors of his day). "The Rifleman" was the first series depicting a father/son relationship and their love for each other. Since you're a churchgoer elko you may like since there are many real-life lessons to be learned there.

"New Mexico is big and wide and open....": True. Did you know elko that your favorite state is the 5th largest in square miles? I'll let you guess which 4 come b/4 it? Good luck with your CEU's.

Last edited by tommyp1; 01-20-2018 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-20-2018, 06:36 AM

356 posts, read 503,442 times
Tommy, I have the final episode of season 5 left to complete the "Rifleman" cannon on Hulu. The first two seasons were really terrific, but 95 percent of the episodes have been well worth watching. I wonder where "North Fork" was supposed to be situated.
Congrats, Elko.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:11 AM

Walt Longmire

It's this guy's acting that does it for me. He's your typical "strong silent type." At times he mumbles, even, and I have to turn up the volume. It's the Wyoming Indians in Absaroca County, Wyoming, and their despair and slighted-treatment from the white man, it's the deputies working with Walt and how they interact with him, it's getting to know their characters and watching what happens to them in their lives, too, that makes this series absolutely irresistible to me. We've seen season 1 through 3 over in Dodge City, Kansas (western fun in that town, too), those were rented from the Dodge City library, then we bought Season 5 from the Chelan Wal*Mart and just finished the 10th and final Season 5 episode the night before last. So that leaves out Season 4, and we aim to find that and fill in the missing gaps.

I think you both might enjoy Longmire. I long for all the Longmire I can get. Tee-hee.

Last edited by elkotronics; 01-20-2018 at 10:33 AM..

Old 01-21-2018, 04:37 AM

Elko: "strong silent type"...IE, keep'em guessing? That U elko? HaHa. Yeah that's typical male in this country and WHY: as my daughter sez...most males are losers, IE passive aggression. I'm anything but. Good eye contact for me and NOT looking at the pavement like all of them where I grew up: Minnesota. But funnies aside...it looks like a good series to check out. I haven't kept up with cable (only have internet). What year did the series begin? Maybe around "Deadwood" days? I lived in Rapid City SD one forgettable year and they made a big deal up there about that series. Nice pic, thanks.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
Tommy, I have the final episode of season 5 left to complete the "Rifleman" cannon on Hulu. The first two seasons were really terrific, but 95 percent of the episodes have been well worth watching. I wonder where "North Fork" was supposed to be situated.
Congrats, Elko.
Hi Bill!:

Yeah I just finished the first half of season 1. I'm watching them slowly...I love the interaction between Lucas and Mark. True love there. Johnny gave the eulogy at Chuck's passing. Go on his website to read it: he said, "Chuck was The Rifleman." Interestingly enough though: Lucas' Winchester did not exist in the time period given for the series but after. Yes most definitely the best are season's 1 & 2...in fact Johnny Crawford has been quoted as saying: "Season 1 was my favorite."

Northfork? Yeah it's totally fictional and the series was filmed mostly around LA and the same old Western sets as the Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers etc. What's interesting is what I've read on how Chuck and Johnny were chosen for those parts: Chuck Connors was not the first choice. He wanted more money which the series founders balked on...but when they saw how Chuck could talk to children (earlier films) they chose him immediately and paid him what he wanted. When Chuck saw Johnny Crawford in auditions: he immediately said: "that's my Mark." Thanks for the comment Bill.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:04 AM

Elko: "strong silent type"...IE, keep'em guessing? That U elko? HaHa. Yeah that's typical male in this country and WHY: as my daughter sez...most males are losers, IE passive aggression. I'm anything but. Good eye contact for me and NOT looking at the pavement like all of them where I grew up: Minnesota. But funnies aside...it looks like a good series to check out. I haven't kept up with cable (only have internet). What year did the series begin? Maybe around "Deadwood" days? I lived in Rapid City SD one forgettable year and they made a big deal up there about that series. Nice pic, thanks.

No, what I meant by Longmire being the "strong, silent type" is that he doesn't fill the airwaves with scads of nonsensical talk during the show. In fact, when it's time to get things done he acts on it and he doesn't waste time. And he raises his voice to yell order to his deputies as required, too. No, this guy has nailed down being an old-school western Sheriff in modern times in an oakie state like Wyoming. Can't wait ta nab Season 4 and put in in the DVD player - it has me riveted from start of Episode 1 right until the end.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

No, what I meant by Longmire being the "strong, silent type" is that he doesn't fill the airwaves with scads of nonsensical talk during the show. In fact, when it's time to get things done he acts on it and he doesn't waste time. And he raises his voice to yell order to his deputies as required, too. No, this guy has nailed down being an old-school western Sheriff in modern times in an oakie state like Wyoming. Can't wait ta nab Season 4 and put in in the DVD player - it has me riveted from start of Episode 1 right until the end.

Thanks elko...got it!! No nonsense guy! I love that too in a man and that's also Lucas McCain!! We need more of that today and wipe out (or ignore) all the LIARS amongst us.

"....oakie state like Wyoming."??
MMMM...I thought WY was more redneck and also the "Cowboy state"? If there are a lot of "Oakies" there I'll stay out! I thought they all went to California? I spent 5 'forgettable' months in OKC and escaped unharmed after one of their worst tornados (May '99) that leveled all of South OKC. No good beer there either...all 3.2 (watered down)...have to go to the Red River and Texas for good beer. OK: still a "Blue state." Good luck with those CEU's!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico