Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 08:39 PM

232 posts, read 302,381 times

Advertisements

Is there a dog leash law in Alamogordo or if I'm on my bicycle am I going to get mauled by a pitbull? I just moved from a town in the Nebraska panhandle (Scottsbluff) and they let the dogs run free. The police don't mind. It keeps the crime down. What I found is that instead of buying a gun...residents get a dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 06:10 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp1 View Post
Is there a dog leash law in Alamogordo
Yes...

https://library.municode.com/nm/alam...E_7-01-030ANLA
Quote:
Any animal outside the fenced yard of the owner or keeper must be under control of a leash or other device by which it may be led except during the time the animal is confined within a park specifically designated for the animal's species.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:13 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Hello - my wife and I lived in Alamogordo for a couple of years. We left in February of 2015, not because we didn't like the town but because my Mom was getting sick with cancer over in my home state of Washington, and I wanted to come see if she and my sisters needed my help with caring for her.

She passed in May of 2015. I eventually, one month later, found work in Dodge City, KS, and that's where we're at now. My wife liked Alamogordo and didn't want to leave. Anyway, I can answer, from my perspective, a couple of your questions. As to the economy in Alamogordo, your line of work ought ta be available. I don't see why not. Alamogordo is a big town as far as New Mexico goes, and has a fairly thriving economy. That is because Hollomon Air Force base lies about 10 miles west of town. A chunk of the servicepeople live in Alamogordo.

As to the gangsta stuff, no, I wouldn't let that get in your way of moving there. There are some baggy-trousered youth there, but I didn't notice a lot of toughs. To the contrary, I saw a lot of youth walking around town on their own. Crime doesn't by any stretch dominate life in Alamogordo, NM. If you keep out of trouble, and it sounds like you and your family will, you'll be just fine. I have walked the city's streets at night and, save for some car traffic that you have to be aware of, I felt safe and I felt good about the place. A gloom and doom and crime-infested theme does not dominate in Alamogordo, NM.

People make money there, I worked for Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center, which is doing well now. I loved working there and I had a boss who didn't just think about himself, he thought about other people. Great boss and a good job. I learned my current specialty of Cardiopulmonary Care there, and I will be forever grateful to that boss for helping me to get trained at it there at that hospital.

It would be good if some other present or former New Mexican's could chime in but I think you guys will be fine enjoying living and working in beautiful Alamogordo, NM. Like I said, we're in the nation's breadbasket right now and we're actually enjoying the wild western city of Dodge City, KS. But when I retire we're coming back to the beautiful sunny SW of the U.S. I think you ought to continue your search for a home in beautiful southern New Mexico. I wish you the very best!

I'm just beginning to talk to my old Management team at Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center about returning to work there. I'll keep y'all posted!

Last edited by elkotronics; 12-14-2017 at 01:27 PM..

Old 12-15-2017, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Hello - my wife and I lived in Alamogordo for a couple of years. We left in February of 2015, not because we didn't like the town but because my Mom was getting sick with cancer over in my home state of Washington, and I wanted to come see if she and my sisters needed my help with caring for her.

She passed in May of 2015. I eventually, one month later, found work in Dodge City, KS, and that's where we're at now. My wife liked Alamogordo and didn't want to leave. Anyway, I can answer, from my perspective, a couple of your questions. As to the economy in Alamogordo, your line of work ought ta be available. I don't see why not. Alamogordo is a big town as far as New Mexico goes, and has a fairly thriving economy. That is because Hollomon Air Force base lies about 10 miles west of town. A chunk of the servicepeople live in Alamogordo.

As to the gangsta stuff, no, I wouldn't let that get in your way of moving there. There are some baggy-trousered youth there, but I didn't notice a lot of toughs. To the contrary, I saw a lot of youth walking around town on their own. Crime doesn't by any stretch dominate life in Alamogordo, NM. If you keep out of trouble, and it sounds like you and your family will, you'll be just fine. I have walked the city's streets at night and, save for some car traffic that you have to be aware of, I felt safe and I felt good about the place. A gloom and doom and crime-infested theme does not dominate in Alamogordo, NM.

People make money there, I worked for Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center, which is doing well now. I loved working there and I had a boss who didn't just think about himself, he thought about other people. Great boss and a good job. I learned my current specialty of Cardiopulmonary Care there, and I will be forever grateful to that boss for helping me to get trained at it there at that hospital.

It would be good if some other present or former New Mexican's could chime in but I think you guys will be fine enjoying living and working in beautiful Alamogordo, NM. Like I said, we're in the nation's breadbasket right now and we're actually enjoying the wild western city of Dodge City, KS. But when I retire we're coming back to the beautiful sunny SW of the U.S. I think you ought to continue your search for a home in beautiful southern New Mexico. I wish you the very best!

I'm just beginning to talk to my old Management team at Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center about returning to work there. I'll keep y'all posted!
Thank you for your update. I have also looked at Alamogordo with its' White Sands nearby, the "Space Museum" etc. At the moment I've settled on Pueblo CO which gets a bad rap for its's economy and crime...but that doesn't stop me from being totally GREEN: cycling, walking, using the bus transportation which is mostly nonexistent in 'gordo (ie,buses). Shopping also gives me more options. I haven't owned a car for nearly 30 years. My healthcare status is a testament to that. I've worked in healthcare in Albuquerque and Las Cruces. What many (who move to NM) don't realize is that NM is a "purple state" IE, local Repubs and national Dems who do nothing for the state or its' 'voting' citizens. NM is a microcosm of what's wrong with the country: ie, haves VS the have-nots. A few good 'ole White boys running the whole charade. A very poor state and very little support for education. There is also water (acquifer) polution in many parts of the state all thanks to the Feds who believed NM was a wasteland so they proceeded to waste it. Don't believe me? Read VB Price's "The Orphaned Land, After the Manhattan project." VB is the son of the actor Vincent Price and a longtime environmental writer/activist in the state. This all said: Alamogordo still intrigues me, ie low rents etc. but I'm not quite ready for total isolation yet...given what I've written above.

Last edited by tommyp1; 12-15-2017 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-15-2017, 03:40 PM

356 posts, read 503,139 times
Tommy, we have bus service here. Look up Ztrans.org. I moved to Alamo in September after a lifetime in the Pacific Northwest, mostly Oregon, and find it a great place.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:18 AM

Well, no word from the recruiter or the hospital. Apparently this attempt fizzled at getting back. I am going to keep trying other New Mexico locations for my skillset, though. I would love ta get back to the desert southwest and work there a few years, then retire and stay in the desert. I'll keep you all updated.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
Tommy, we have bus service here. Look up Ztrans.org. I moved to Alamo in September after a lifetime in the Pacific Northwest, mostly Oregon, and find it a great place.
OK Bill thanks for that. I'll look it up. I spent an uneventful year in Portland and returned to the desert. I love the dry air. Merry Christmas.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:50 PM

Well, no word from the recruiter or the hospital. Apparently this attempt fizzled at getting back. I am going to keep trying other New Mexico locations for my skillset, though. I would love ta get back to the desert southwest and work there a few years, then retire and stay in the desert. I'll keep you all updated.

I just woke up from a pre-work nap, and, now I'm wondering if Christmas shopping got the better of my recruiter. Or Friday snuck up on everybody - we'll see come the beginning of the week. I'm not so sure the Alamogordo job is completely out of the picture for me. My recruiter owes me a definite "yes, there's a possibility" or a "no, it's not a possibility."

Old 12-17-2017, 08:22 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,411 times
I applied for one of the F16 jobs at Holloman. Who knows, maybe we'll all be back soon.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:47 AM

I applied for one of the F16 jobs at Holloman. Who knows, maybe we'll all be back soon.

Rich, I think this spells well for Alamogordo overall as a destination to live at. I look back very fondly on my Alamogordo days. I got an e-mail from the recruiter this morning for the Alamogordo job. He said something to the affect of "let's try getting ahold of them again today" and that he was sorry for not making contact with me Friday. So that sounds somewhat optimistic.

Then, my phone rang as I pulled away from the parking spot I was in across the street from the post office here in Manson, WA. I picked it up. It was the manager for the job I applied for in Artesia, NM. Who knows anything about Artesia? Anyone? For my skillset they have a brand new Lab built and the Manager says it's beautiful. So I'm once again enthralled about The Land of Enchantment. No, I don't joke about New Mexico being "The Land of Entrapment." I disagree with that goofy joke. I love New Mexico and, who knows, I might be coming back there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico