Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:36 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,206,480 times

Advertisements

I'm in favor of waiting for reliable statistics to be generated based on these other states' plates.

We have breathalyzer interlocks, vehicle seizures, and are arguably the most draconian state when it comes to DWI enforcement. There does reach a point where additional punishment measures achieve nothing. Need to make sure we base our laws and policies on things that have been proven to work, not public opinion alone.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:55 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,241,709 times
I would be against something like that, because, let's say a person who had DWI or DUI offends someone on the road, cuts a person off, drives onto a shoulder, goes over the center line, and is not driving drunk, but maybe makes an occasional driving error, and someone drops a dime on them, and now that person is being sought by the PD...
I think it's unfair.
If a person has multiple alcohol related driving offenses, let the state take their vehicle from them, instead of revoking the license, because as we well know, just because a license is revoked, it doesn't stop some people from driving.
Maybe a beathalyzer with an ignition interlock device?
But a license plate to tell everybody, HEY, I'M A DRUNK! I'm against it.
Sorry if I've offended anyone who has lost a loved one due to a drunk driver.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:32 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,758,383 times
I doubt a special plate will accomplish anything. If siezing cars, revoking licenses,
ignition interlocks, jail time (admittedly not enforced enough), fines, etc haven't
stopped 'em, a plate won't, either.

FWIW, I don't have any solution....

Old 03-07-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
I doubt a special plate will accomplish anything. If siezing cars, revoking licenses,
ignition interlocks, jail time (admittedly not enforced enough), fines, etc haven't
stopped 'em, a plate won't, either.

FWIW, I don't have any solution....
I know of someone, in Wisconsin, after the 6th., he was charged with felony DUI, and received a 5 year stretch in a federal correctional facility.

That should dry him out.
Question is, what he does after serving the time? Will he go back to drinking and driving?

I really believe that local citizens were extremely lucky, not to have that guy run into them and injure or kill someone.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:54 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,622,997 times
This is so wrong on many levels.

First... what is the point? To encourage people to road rage against someone whose crime was possibly no worse than being a tad over .08? It certainly won't make anyone safer. While we are at it, let's tag *everybody* with interesting signs so we can more easily pre-judge and hate them.

Second... the plates tag the car, not the driver. The drunk can drive another car, and the drunk's kid might be driving his car and be guilty of nothing.

Again... what is the point?

Old 03-07-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
This is so wrong on many levels.

First... what is the point? To encourage people to road rage against someone whose crime was possibly no worse than being a tad over .08? It certainly won't make anyone safer. While we are at it, let's tag *everybody* with interesting signs so we can more easily pre-judge and hate them.

Second... the plates tag the car, not the driver. The drunk can drive another car, and the drunk's kid might be driving his car and be guilty of nothing.

Again... what is the point?
Be careful now, you're thinking outside the box.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:24 PM

181 posts, read 708,809 times
How about giving offenders the new NM turquoise plate--that would be punishment enough!

Old 03-07-2010, 03:50 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,206,480 times
Or how about making them post the California license plate?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,110,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff
.... no worse than being a tad over .08?
rruff: Don't get me started on the 0.08 BAC nonsense.
It gets me all worked up ( and I'm tightly wound ).

MADD lost me at that point.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:35 PM

9,384 posts, read 20,873,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
rruff: Don't get me started on the 0.08 BAC nonsense.
It gets me all worked up ( and I'm tightly wound ).

MADD lost me at that point.
Yeah, you can thank the grand silver-haired ahole from New Jersey, Senator Frank Lautenberg, and a series of bills introduced by this potentate over the past 20+ designed to incrementally reduce your liberty. This is one of his most diabolical. Essentially, just about any 110 pound woman who's had 2 glasses of Chianti at the Olive Garden with her dinner is now going to be declared a felon, ex-post facto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico