Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:51 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,355,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yemtig View Post
Well, the choice has been decided upon and me and my family will be headed back to NM!!! Really love it in NM and can't wait to finally get back.. I am just sick and tired of this cold, cloudy, crappy weather here in Ohio and can't wait to get back to a more mild climate...
I used to live in Cleveland and left because of the cold depressing winters. I now live in Texas and am in the process of moving to NM. Nothing wrong with Texas if you like heat and humidity. Austin seems crowded and congested. Albuquerque is more spread out and the weather is in between Ohio and Texas. Not too cold and not too hot.
Follow your heart is my advice but it sounds like NM would be the better choice of the two.
Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 12:54 PM

710 posts, read 2,963,798 times
People in NM do not hate Texans! You will occasionally hear a negative comment or two, but generally it is out of jealousy. Let's face it, Californians and Texans have pumped an awful lot of money into our states economy and we should be thankful for that. You do get the occasional pompous attitude, but I try not to hold an entire state accountable for one or two arrogant folks.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,207,559 times
I've been in Ruidoso enough to know that the residents have a mixed view of Texans. One one hand, they make jokes at the expense of us and get tired of all the tourists clogging things up and asking the same questions over and over, but on the other, they realize that without us, their town would wither on the vine. I can empathize with them; I would feel the same way. I feel as much a New Mexican as a Texan, hoping to move to NM eventually, being 'enchanted'.

Yemtig, you'll have to convince yourself as to whether you would rather live in NM or TX. No one can do it for you.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:04 PM

55 posts, read 238,317 times
Hi Finmqa1,

Quote:
You do get the occasional pompous attitude, but I try not to hold an entire state accountable for one or two arrogant folks
Thank you for your postive and realistic attitude!

K

Old 02-15-2008, 07:34 PM

203 posts, read 714,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
People in NM do not hate Texans! You will occasionally hear a negative comment or two, but generally it is out of jealousy. Let's face it, Californians and Texans have pumped an awful lot of money into our states economy and we should be thankful for that. You do get the occasional pompous attitude, but I try not to hold an entire state accountable for one or two arrogant folks.
Thank you finmqa... I am a 4th generation native of the Texas Panhandle who lived in Colorado for several years and now live in LVNM. When I get grief for my birthplace (and the ribbing is always friendly joshin'), i just say it was an early mistake that I have since corrected...

Old 02-16-2008, 09:39 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,286,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
There are many Texans with pompous, too proud attitudes, and are extremely defensive about Texas, but you are right. Not everyone is like that.

Even though I was raised in California and lived there for almost 29 years and now have lived in Texas for almost 30, I don't consider myself either. I'm just a lady getting up in years and am wanting to find an area of peace, beauty, serenity, and lovely scenery to live out my sunset years. Simplicity is the key to the life I want, and I can't wait to escape from the craziness of the "working world." Oh and very important too is delightful weather away from the brutal heat and humidity.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:25 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,495,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
There are many Texans with pompous, too proud attitudes, and are extremely defensive about Texas, but you are right. Not everyone is like that.
Texans often get a bad reputation all across the Rocky Mountain West, primarily--I think--because the Texan that many residents of New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, etc. see is a wealthy, urban, pompous ass who thinks that those states are his private park in which to do whatever he wishes, build whatever he wants, and to treat the local residents like indentured servants who only exist to answer his every beck and call. Those seem to be the Texans one often finds in the Rocky Mountain states in disproportionate numbers. I don't think they represent the "true" Texas, based on my experiences there (and I have relatives in Texas).

A lot of Rocky Mountain natives are also getting really sick of seeing ranches cut up into subdivisions and seeing trophy homes appearing in every meadow and on every ridgeline--and it seems many of those are being built for Texans (though they certainly aren't alone in that regard).

New Mexico was the first place that I heard Texans referred to by locals as "Tejanos"--the Spanish name for Texan. My understanding is that the term is resented by many Texans and the New Mexicans who use it know that.

A few years ago, I saw these bumper stickers in Durango, Colorado (not too far from New Mexico):

"If God had intended Texans to ski, he would have made bull**** white."

"If Texas is so d***ed great, why are you up here?"

"Prettiest sight in the world: A Texan leaving Colorado with a Californian under each arm."

I know quite a few really decent folks from Texas, but one can't dismiss as non-existent that there can be an undercurrent of mistrust and dislike of some Texans in the Rocky Mountain region--it's there.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:42 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,891,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Texans often get a bad reputation all across the Rocky Mountain West, primarily--I think--because the Texan that many residents of New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, etc. see is a wealthy, urban, pompous ass who thinks that those states are his private park in which to do whatever he wishes, build whatever he wants, and to treat the local residents like indentured servants who only exist to answer his every beck and call. Those seem to be the Texans one often finds in the Rocky Mountain states in disproportionate numbers. I don't think they represent the "true" Texas, based on my experiences there (and I have relatives in Texas).

A lot of Rocky Mountain natives are also getting really sick of seeing ranches cut up into subdivisions and seeing trophy homes appearing in every meadow and on every ridgeline--and it seems many of those are being built for Texans (though they certainly aren't alone in that regard).

New Mexico was the first place that I heard Texans referred to by locals as "Tejanos"--the Spanish name for Texan. My understanding is that the term is resented by many Texans and the New Mexicans who use it know that.

A few years ago, I saw these bumper stickers in Durango, Colorado (not too far from New Mexico):

"Prettiest sight in the world: A Texan leaving Colorado with a Californian under each arm."

I know quite a few really decent folks from Texas, but one can't dismiss as non-existent that there can be an undercurrent of mistrust and dislike of some Texans in the Rocky Mountain region--it's there.
You make some very good points, especially with regard to CO. Some Texans do come with an arrogant attitude, and they give those of us who don't a bad and unfair rap.

As a native Texan, I love my home state, but I also love NM and CO. I try to always be respectful/courteous toward all.....but I also won't be stepped on beyond a certain point.

It works both ways. People are migrating to Texas in record numbers...and they're busily trying to remake Texas like from whence they came.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:49 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,286,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post

Actually, Tejano is used to identify individuals of Hispanic descent born and living in Texas. I didn't know that and had to look it up.

Yeah, those bumper stickers are so dumb. Here are a few more:

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could."

"American by birth, Texan by the grace of God."

"I'm from Texas. What country are you from?"

"Texas: It's a whole nuther country."

"There are two kinds of people. Those who are Texans and those who wish they were."

It's all pretty corny to me, but Texans would tell one that it's all in fun. Whatever.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:39 PM

60 posts, read 204,015 times
I lived in Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico when I was growing up, I lived in the Tucumcari area for eight years. By far I prefer the Panhandles of Texas and Oklahoma to anywhere in New Mexico or south Texas. I currently am forced to live in New Mexico because of my job but when my job leaves I will leave an never come back except for vacation.

New Mexico is a beautiful state in certain areas, much more beautiful than anywhere in Texas or Oklahoma. The problem is the government and the people. I hate to say it but alot of the people in New Mexico are trashy. It seems the official dress for males under 30 is a wife beater and jeans worn around their knees. I have yet to see a person under 30 here in Raton wear nice clothes if they was not at work. The women are no better and it seems every teenage girl is either pregnant, carrying a child, or sporting a dozen hickies on her neck.

Graffiti is everywhere, it's all over the buildings I have to take care of and if I took the time to clean it up I would be busy for months and it would be right back anyways. The crime is bad here, much worse per capita than in the neighboring states. The roads are terrible and filled with dangerous junker cars except in the routes out of staters use to go to the mountains. The people are not friendly compared to what I am used to in Texas or Oklahoma. I must say they are much better than what I encountered in places like washington. I'm used to people waving, saying hello, and opening doors for people. The only time people wave here is when I am in my work truck and thats because of the company I work for and the guy who had the job here before me.

Like I said New Mexico has some incredible scenery in areas like Ruidoso or Red River and places like Santa Fe have lots of history and are great to visit. I love vacations in New Mexico but don't like living here. Raton has the prettiest scenery of anywhere I have lived or worked but also has the trashiest people it reminds me of a slightly better cactus Texas with a mountain and a shooting range.

I'd stay in Texas.

(BTW. I was born in Texas and I am one of the humblest people you will ever meet.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico