Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 03:55 PM

7 posts, read 29,996 times

Advertisements

Any ideas on a small remote village outside ALBQ? Maybe about 40 minutes away either North West South of ALBQ? Looking for adobe home or land about 5 acers. also w/ Global warming should we even consider N.M? I was reading forum about water shortage.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-08-2009 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: fix spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 05:50 AM

271 posts, read 1,175,114 times
You might check out Galisteo. There are quite a few very good artists living
there but it is very expensive but it's a very small artists type of village. It's
also not to far into Santa Fe which is the only real art town in NM with the
possible exception of Taos. Also if you want 5 acres I sometimes look at the
very small area of Stanley, NM. It is 10 miles from Moriarty and is on the high
plains but is only about 40 miles to Santa fe. I'm sure you could find 5 acres
there but water will always be a huge issue here in NM. Also I don't know
much about it but there are some artists over in Grants on I-40 west of
Albuquerque. It is very cold there in the winter and with gas always on the
increase I would rather be closer to civilization.

Good luck

Old 02-17-2008, 11:53 AM

946 posts, read 3,265,737 times
Default water and location

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mexico View Post
Any ideas on a small remote village outside ALBQ? Maybe about 40 minutes away either North West South of ALBQ? Looking for adobe home or land about 5 acers. also w/ Global warming should we even consider N.M? I was reading forum about water shortage.
If you are concerned about water then New Mexico is part of the Southwest which is characterized by a limited water supply and a growing population. New Mexico is however is in the enviable position of much, much less population than its neighbors.

In New Mexico in general, the higher you are, the more precipitation. See http://www.nationalatlas.gov/printab...precip_nm3.pdf

A place which you might consider is Dixon which is fairly high and is a center of both artists and organic farmers. Its not, however, within 40 minutes of ABQ.

It is about 40 minutes from Santa Fe and even closer to Taos.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:59 AM

382 posts, read 1,227,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mexico View Post
Madrid, NM.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:51 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,737 times
Default Older thread

If are thinking about Madrid and water, you might want to look at an older thread //www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...community.html

Old 02-19-2008, 05:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Turquiose Trail - NM 14 between ABU and Santa Fe.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:40 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,465 times
Some artists live in Placitas, but land is expensive.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:11 PM

17 posts, read 75,224 times
I agree that Dixon would be a great place to check out. Don't miss the old mission church near Embudo, great photo ops!
Water is a huge issue in NM, it is very difficult to find land with water rights, and even private water wells are restricted as to their usage, be it for cattle, or domestic or agriculture, and depending on what your intent is for the water you will be permitted accordingly. I think it is a good system in place, and it is one reason you do not see miles and miles of green golf course lands surrounded by high-end developments like in Arizona where the water right issues are of small concern to many.
If i could move to NM, and start a small enterprise as an organic farmer like i do in Az, i would try to buy land with rights to the local acequia on it.
As far as an "artist town", i think that any town could become an "artist town", given the influx of like minded artists! Magdalena,Nm was once written up in a book featuring the best small art towns of america, and it is about an hour west of Socorro on US 60.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:40 PM

261 posts, read 936,223 times
Cuba. Yeah, it's more than 40 minutes away, but maybe that's a good thing.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:12 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,061 times
Default Small Village

I myself prefer the East Mountain area and down towards Mountainair and even into Belen and Los Lunas. el pintada kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico