Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 09:07 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,732 times

Advertisements

One thing that shocked me about this last visit to New Mexico was how often I saw billboards and advertisements on tv and radio about DWI and the famous "If you drink and drive, you lose"..I remember reading some stuff here about New Mexico being #1 in DWI in the nation? Is the problem really this bad??? I was driving from Santa Fe to Espanola, last Saturday Night and I saw at least 5 New Mexico State Police cars along the way..In particular, there was a patrol car driving really slow on 84/205 before you get to Pojoaque and he was kind of checking everybody out on the road, really closely. As soon as one of the cars did a jerky move, he threw his lights on and pulled the guy over, in less than 20 seconds!!! Maybe somebody can give us an idea of how bad the problem is and trouble areas.Driving in New Mexico turned out to be a stressful experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 11:36 AM

75 posts, read 410,111 times
Thumbs down Personal experience - not heresay!!!!

I work in an office building with an average of just under 300 employees. In the past 24 years, 3 people that I knew in my building have been killed by drunk drivers. The person in the office next to me has been hit 3 times by drunk drivers, also they were uninsured, but he wasn't seriously injured. My wife's car was hit at a stop light on Cordova Road by a DWI, she wasn't injured, but it did $1700 in damage because he was uininsured AND the responding officers knew him, it was his second accident that week. I know of several DWI injuries over the years and I have twice been run off the road by drunks (or people who acted drunk while driving).
Most DWI accidents are uninsured, in fact, about 40% of all drivers in NM are not insured, so good luck when you do get hit

Old 11-27-2006, 01:15 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,979 times
DWIs in New Mexico is one of the main problems in NM. It far outweighs the crime issue by far. The State Patrol is cracking down on it and I applaud them. I am not sure why so many New Mexicans drink and drive. I mean if they are going to drink, it is one thing, but why drive? I think they think they aren't drunk when they are. I know another drinking accident happened in the Gallup area the other day, which is plagued by drinking and driving accidents. You have to be careful driving there, or up near Shiprock and Highway 491, which used to be Highway 666, between Gallup and Shiprock. Also I 25 from ABQ to Santa Fe is a bad area. I wouldn't drive Highway 491 at night. You have to be careful even in the day though. I have seen drunk drivers on the other side of the road even in the day on it. Also be careful on Highway 550 between Bernalillo and Aztec. I have seen drunks driving on there too, many times.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 28,939 times
There was a horrific DWI accident a couple of weekends ago, between Santa Fe and Las Vegas, New Mexico, where a Drunk was traveling on the wrong side of I-25 and smacked head-on into a family. The Father, Mother and three Children were killed instantly, and the drunk driver died early the next morning. This is so SAD, it is sickening. Yes, NM has a bad problem with Drunk Drivers.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:47 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,503 times
See my post in Auto Insurance Rates In NM

Old 01-07-2007, 07:44 AM

42 posts, read 148,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
One thing that shocked me about this last visit to New Mexico was how often I saw billboards and advertisements on tv and radio about DWI and the famous "If you drink and drive, you lose"..I remember reading some stuff here about New Mexico being #1 in DWI in the nation? Is the problem really this bad??? I was driving from Santa Fe to Espanola, last Saturday Night and I saw at least 5 New Mexico State Police cars along the way..In particular, there was a patrol car driving really slow on 84/205 before you get to Pojoaque and he was kind of checking everybody out on the road, really closely. As soon as one of the cars did a jerky move, he threw his lights on and pulled the guy over, in less than 20 seconds!!! Maybe somebody can give us an idea of how bad the problem is and trouble areas.Driving in New Mexico turned out to be a stressful experience!
I know this is anecdotal evidence I'm giving and that this thread was started some time ago, but yeah drunk driving here is pretty bad. I honestly think it's because for most of New Mexico, there's simply nothing else to do but get drunk.

I lived in Portales for five years, and personally know two people who were killed by drunks, 1 person severely injured by a drunk, and SEVEN people INCLUDING MYSELF who've had vehicles smashed by someone while our vehicles were in parking lots or at home. My car was smashed in the WalMart parking lot while I was buying groceries. And I also know of at least one child who was killed by a drunk driver while crossing the street on a rural road BY AN OFF DUTY STATE COP. The cop still has his job, of course.

This is the only place I've lived where I'm HAPPY I see a police presence, especially on a Saturday night. And sadly, there's many roads I wouldn't travel unless it was during the day (The road between Fort Sumner and Santa Rosa is especially dangerous).

The state is actually taking steps to fix the problem, but it's hard to do when they don't offer very much money for the cops.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:39 AM

253 posts, read 1,131,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxlander View Post
.... I honestly think it's because for most of New Mexico, there's simply nothing else to do but get drunk....The state is actually taking steps to fix the problem, but it's hard to do when they don't offer very much money for the cops.
Agree. I work at a company where there are a lot of young adults (20's). The daily conversation tends to center on where/how/when they/friends/family got drunk. Their favorite topic, actually. For them, life here in NM is so boring they tend to create their own reality thru altered experiences - drinking being the cheapest way to get there. Being a Californian who lives in 2 states, I am a subject of envy (for young people).

RE: Compensation: The LC Sun-News reported Friday that police are going to get a raise (pending city council approval) of 10.3% over the next 3 years. Hope so. (To LC City Council: buy them new patrol cars too! And paint the patrol cars black & white like AZ is doing. Apparently their studies showed a greater compliance for law when police cars are b/w.)

It would greatly help to eliminate the "we welcome illegals" atmosphere that rules this State. Santa Fe voters could help by deleting "Sanctuary City for Undocumented Persons" from its descriptor. Can't expect people to respect the law when rules are bent to allow a particular sub-group special treatment.

I apologize for the directness of my post here, but I heard about the family that was hit on the 25. I know a paramedic here that has assisted at the scene of DUI/DWI accidents and her descriptions are just gruesome.

Californians: DWI = Driving While Intoxicated. Same as DUI.

~Cali-girl

Last edited by Yac; 01-07-2007 at 11:53 AM..

Old 01-07-2007, 10:54 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
Cali-girl:

I love seeing how you translate everything so that Californians can understand it.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:08 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
I believe one of the things that makes NM so bad for repeat DWI is the number of alcoholics out there.

It's not so much that they get drunk, then drive, so much as they are drunk 24/7, and have to drive to a) get home, b) get money (work), or c) get booze.

Gallup's DWI problems are exacerbated by the fact that the liquor stores and bars are in town and the alcoholics live in the boonies.

Possible solutions include free taxis for drunks (to the bar as well as home), and free booze delivery for drunks. Neither will fly; too expensive, and too unpopular.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:58 PM

253 posts, read 1,131,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
I believe one of the things that makes NM so bad for repeat DWI is the number of alcoholics out there.

It's not so much that they get drunk, then drive, so much as they are drunk 24/7, and have to drive to a) get home, b) get money (work), or c) get booze.

Gallup's DWI problems are exacerbated by the fact that the liquor stores and bars are in town and the alcoholics live in the boonies.

Possible solutions include free taxis for drunks (to the bar as well as home), and free booze delivery for drunks. Neither will fly; too expensive, and too unpopular.
Wow - thank you for that info.

~Cali-girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico