Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:11 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku Waht Zee View Post
Maybe it's becuase the dairies?, I too am curious....Youm should contact someone at the NM Environment Department, they are very helpful.
We don't have any dairies around Alamogordo or Cloudcroft etc....I'm wondering if Holloman AFB has something to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 11:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I've looked at Sperling's before. Some of the ratings I just don't understand. Their criteria must be different from mine.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:28 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post

"1" sounds about right considering we have the two dirtiest coal-fired power plants in the West up here. They're going to start building another one this year or next.

I wonder if air quality can fall below 0? Did you folks know that the plume of filth from our plants can be seen from the space station, and that it runs right down to the Rio Grande valley?
I had looked up Farmington and it's right there with Dallas and Los Angeles. Sounds like those coal-fired plants are the reason for F's low AQ.

Even though, say Carlsbad, gets a rating of 13, that county is still coded green (not great, but not the worst) on the map on the link below. 13 sounds pretty bad to me.

I'm beginning to think there isn't much good air to breathe anymore, and it's all so confusing. I guess at my age, it doesn't really matter anyway, but I definitely prefer to stay out of the red zones.

United States Air Quality Map

Old 02-22-2008, 01:01 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Oh, yes, it still matters where you are. That air quallity map mystifies me; I can understand DFW being in the red (F) category, but a long stretch of land along the Rio Grande in TX is graded B, while nowhere in NM is it better than C. If I go 60 miles west of here, it makes a lot of difference in transparency and summer smog. I'm an amateur astronomer, and the night sky in parts of NM is as good as I've ever seen. (I realize that some pollutants are transparent, but it should count for something.)

Old 02-22-2008, 01:05 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
There surely aren't many light blue areas in the country and dark blue, forget it. Right now, I live in a yellow area and if there is any substance whatsoever in this map, I would prefer to move up to a green. I can't see myself settling in any of the light blue areas. Actually, Montana would be delightful, but I know I'd freeze to death. Darn icy cold weather. Utah, probably still too cold and probably way too expensive for me. The border of Mexico, no way. I'm trying to escape the heat.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
When I get some time I will look into the Air Quality in New Mexico and write up a little summary for you folks. It will take some time so please be patient.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:12 AM

946 posts, read 3,266,190 times
Question Where from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
When I get some time I will look into the Air Quality in New Mexico and write up a little summary for you folks. It will take some time so please be patient.
WE WANT IT NOW!!! (Just kidding )

When you do write it up, please give us if possible some idea of where the pollution comes from. For instance, how much of it is particles from wood stove, pellet stoves, etc? Does a significant amount blow in from other areas (a big problem in some parts of the east)? I remember when I lived in Vermont, you were supposed to limit yourself to one fish a week from the local waters. Problem was mercury, even though there were no sources in Vermont. It all wafted in with the breezes and fell with the gentle rain.

So thanking you in advance and GET CRACKING.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Oh, yes, it still matters where you are. That air quallity map mystifies me; I can understand DFW being in the red (F) category, but a long stretch of land along the Rio Grande in TX is graded B, while nowhere in NM is it better than C. If I go 60 miles west of here, it makes a lot of difference in transparency and summer smog. I'm an amateur astronomer, and the night sky in parts of NM is as good as I've ever seen. (I realize that some pollutants are transparent, but it should count for something.)
And we can see the Milky Way with our naked eye and the moon shines like a spotlight. Obviously the people who prepare these numbers have no romance in their souls.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I am going to start with the state of NM Air Quality Annual Report. It should be on the state website.

Sometimes we can see the Milky Way here in New Hampshire. Then we have to go inside and treat the frostbite!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:13 AM

Default The monitoring stations

I looked at a map of the continuously operating monitoring stations. Map Display

I would say that most counties don't have one. Then of those stations we do have, the overwhelming majority are located along the Rio Grand corridor. In addition, the stations tend to be in the cities -- e.g., two in Santa Fe City, none in the county outside the city.

So if you live in say, Red River or Ruidoso, I would take any numbers you see with grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico