U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 04:00 PM

2,916 posts, read 5,457,137 times

Advertisements

How are you adjusting? and do you miss the Southeast?
Rate this post positively

Old 06-18-2017, 05:44 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,003,846 times
We moved here from Alabama three years ago. Aside from the distance from family, we really only miss one thing: fresh seafood. We were never big lake/beach people, so that wasn't an issue for us.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:28 AM

2,916 posts, read 5,457,137 times
Resurrecting this thread...Interested to know if there are any transplants from the Southeast that has moved to New Mexico? If so, are you satisfied with the move? Do you miss back home??

Old 12-03-2019, 02:14 PM

25 posts, read 17,431 times
We moved from North Carolina to the Albuquerque area (Placitas) about 6 months ago. We love it here so far--the only things I particularly miss are my friends and Carolina barbecue, and the only things I particularly dislike here are the drivers (insane), the wind gusts (also insane), and the comparative difficulty of finding healthcare (it was very easy in the Raleigh-Durham area). This is such a beautiful and fascinating state, and everyone we've met has been so friendly. The climate is wonderful, and there's a lot to see and do. We were never huge beachgoers; I'm quite satisfied looking at the beautiful mountain streams up near Jemez Springs, for now at least. Are you considering a move?

Old 12-05-2019, 05:09 AM

77,804 posts, read 96,494,682 times
From the 7 plus years we lived in the ABQ area and remember our neighbors and friends, I doubt many people from the southeast would be inclined to re-locate to ABQ unless for jobs. I don't mean this as an insult to ABQ by any means, it just is not the type of place people in the southeast would think of making their home.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:32 AM

93,940 posts, read 91,467,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeakycats View Post
We moved from North Carolina to the Albuquerque area (Placitas) about 6 months ago. We love it here so far--the only things I particularly miss are my friends and Carolina barbecue, and the only things I particularly dislike here are the drivers (insane), the wind gusts (also insane), and the comparative difficulty of finding healthcare (it was very easy in the Raleigh-Durham area). This is such a beautiful and fascinating state, and everyone we've met has been so friendly. The climate is wonderful, and there's a lot to see and do. We were never huge beachgoers; I'm quite satisfied looking at the beautiful mountain streams up near Jemez Springs, for now at least. Are you considering a move?
What aspects of health care are difficult to find in ABQ? I haven't found health care hard to find at all in Santa Fe, except for some reason there's a dearth of dermatologists, so many people have to go to ABQ for that, but they have no problem getting appointments there.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:11 AM

1,045 posts, read 578,889 times
We're moving out west after Christmas but not to New Mexico. It seems to be a lovely state but we need to be close to family in southern California, one of whom is elderly without nearby relatives.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What aspects of health care are difficult to find in ABQ? I haven't found health care hard to find at all in Santa Fe, except for some reason there's a dearth of dermatologists, so many people have to go to ABQ for that, but they have no problem getting appointments there.
It just takes a really long time to get in anywhere--my husband had to wait almost 3 months for a routine eye appointment, and when I needed to see a regular doctor, none of the ones I was most interested in was taking new patients. It's not a huge deal--just a sense that there are a lot fewer health care professionals than in our previous area (Raleigh-Durham...which admittedly has a ton, with multiple major hospitals).

Maybe things are better in Santa Fe than in ABQ? We're kind of in between them, so I'll have to keep that in mind and check it out!

Old 12-06-2019, 11:09 AM

26,530 posts, read 47,825,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeakycats View Post
It just takes a really long time to get in anywhere--my husband had to wait almost 3 months for a routine eye appointment, and when I needed to see a regular doctor, none of the ones I was most interested in was taking new patients. It's not a huge deal--just a sense that there are a lot fewer health care professionals than in our previous area (Raleigh-Durham...which admittedly has a ton, with multiple major hospitals).

Maybe things are better in Santa Fe than in ABQ? We're kind of in between them, so I'll have to keep that in mind and check it out!
We have been using Presbyterian Rust Medical Center in Rio Rancho since they opened, about ten years ago... No problems to include heart surgery...

https://rust-medical-center.phs.org/Pages/default.aspx

Your results of course may vary...

Old 12-08-2019, 04:45 PM

Thanks, Poncho_NM! Will give them a call and see if we can find a family practice/GP person there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread
>