Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 03:23 PM

16 posts, read 21,770 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I used to be on here from time to time but seem to have lost my password forever, so I have a new username.

I am debating moving to the Madrid or Cerrillos area (outside of the villages), for some acreage with proximity to Santa Fe. The husband wants the acreage, I want to be near Santa Fe because I see myself volunteering or working PT in the arts.

My question, is how is internet connectivity out there? Currently, I work remotely for a NE university, so I would need some decent internet. Right now I'm in a pretty remote area in Big Bend (Texas) but I got lucky and I'm on the fiber line, so it works from here. I'd like to be closer to a real town because I'm basically 2.5 hrs from anything here and that's a little bit much for me.

Cerrillos or Madrid would be a lot less remote, and we have 4x4, (although I'm in a subie)

And -- is it getting too built up???? I actually haven't been there is a while, I have been going to Taos/Ojo Caliente/ Las Vegas in the last few years, but I don't want to move to those places.

I would like to explore but it won't be until later this summer.

Thanks for your thoughts, if you have any, and have a great day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 08:31 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,507,645 times
If you can afford it do it.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:34 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Madrid, too built up? I can't imagine. Have you looked at real estate listings out there, to see if you can afford something in that area? You could contact a real estate office, and ask them if there's internet out there. Then maybe when you visit, you could be shown a couple of properties, whatever's available at the time, just to get a feel for the market.

Do you mind if I ask what you do remotely, for a university? I'm trying to get back into university admin work, and working remotely would be a great option, but most admin work relates to serving the students or academic departments, and requires presence on campus.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:00 AM

4,861 posts, read 4,798,137 times
You need to check with Century Link on the availability of DSL in any area you might be interested in, and probably Comcast for cable internet. There may be others. Some web sites show availability in Cerrillos but not Madrid.
BroadbandNow: Internet Providers in Your Zip Code

It is unfortunately common in NM that fast internet is not available in rural location.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:28 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelina View Post
Greetings,

I used to be on here from time to time but seem to have lost my password forever, so I have a new username.

I am debating moving to the Madrid or Cerrillos area (outside of the villages), for some acreage with proximity to Santa Fe. The husband wants the acreage, I want to be near Santa Fe because I see myself volunteering or working PT in the arts.

My question, is how is internet connectivity out there? Currently, I work remotely for a NE university, so I would need some decent internet. Right now I'm in a pretty remote area in Big Bend (Texas) but I got lucky and I'm on the fiber line, so it works from here. I'd like to be closer to a real town because I'm basically 2.5 hrs from anything here and that's a little bit much for me.

Cerrillos or Madrid would be a lot less remote, and we have 4x4, (although I'm in a subie)

And -- is it getting too built up???? I actually haven't been there is a while, I have been going to Taos/Ojo Caliente/ Las Vegas in the last few years, but I don't want to move to those places.

I would like to explore but it won't be until later this summer.

Thanks for your thoughts, if you have any, and have a great day.

I doubt Madrid and Cerrillos are too built up.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:51 AM

16 posts, read 21,770 times
Thanks everyone, I will need to visit and talk with a realtor of course.

I also need to finish up the house I'm in so I can sell it, unfortunately it needs a lot.

My work involves researching and writing summaries on various business topics.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:58 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelina View Post
Thanks everyone, I will need to visit and talk with a realtor of course.

I also need to finish up the house I'm in so I can sell it, unfortunately it needs a lot.

My work involves researching and writing summaries on various business topics.
Netime and best of luck,OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico