Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:41 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,344,719 times

Advertisements

[quote=sjbasin;3132390]I keep bees in the northwest part of NM. If you're planning on keeping them in the southernmost parts of the state you need to be aware of AHB. But then if you're FROM South Africa, maybe you're used to feisty bees.

I keep bees in Eastern Oklahoma without problems but do worry about those Africa Bees. They say they are in Texas so I check them out every so often to see if they are turning mean. I did have one of my "very dumb" horses stick his "very dumb" face into a hive and take off half his face skin. That was sure a lot of medication getting him back into shape.

Debbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,448 times
Default New Mexico is always my first choice

You virtually have a choice in New Mexico... either low lands and desert or the mountains. Santa Fe is beautiful, culture is unreal.. But, it has rivaled Las Cruces for decades for 2nd largest city in the State. Heavy population.
The further south and then south west, you are in the desert. No, don't misunderstand, Las Cruces is in The Mesilla Valley. One of the beautiful locations you will ever find. Now if you head southeast, your run into the Sacramento Mountains. Altitude - yes, Rural - yes, less populated - yes, close to a city - yes, Alamogordo. Now, there is snow during the winter months.. Actually a winter wonderland. I lived and went to school in Cloudcroft.. wouldn't have had it any different. Fantastic place to live. Northern New Mexico is also fantastic and a great place to visit, but you must realize that it is much harsher in the winter. No matter where you choose to live within the State you will fall in love with NM very easily. If you are older and retired, like I am now, I would certainly recommend you go down to the Mesilla Valley and really look it over..

Old 03-15-2008, 12:41 PM

117 posts, read 531,851 times
thanks Mareleigh - I think our travel bug is sufficiently tempted and we are planning a trip in August - just not sure how much time we realistically need to travel from north to south and be able to absorb even just a small taste of what NM has to offer (we could probably only squeeze in 10 days)- wish we could rent an RV for 10 days - for now I feel like I want to visit Las Cruces, Silver City, Ruidoso, Tor C, Magdalena - but as we would drive down from Pueblo we would have a chance to see the north too.

Thanks for the advice on the college - good to hear about the aviation side - looks like flying is pretty good around the SE!

Old 03-16-2008, 07:50 AM

286 posts, read 1,322,629 times
If you are driving from Pueblo to NM, the most direct route is to just go south on I-25. However, if you do want to see portions of the north central part of the state, I'd suggest getting off I-25 at Walsenberg and travel on Hwy 160 to Ft. Garland, then go south on Hwy 159. When you cross into NM, the road becomes Hwy 522, which takes you along the Enchanted Circle. You can go through Taos and down through the Gorge to Santa Fe, or go through Dixon and Chimayo. It's a beautiful ride through the mountains, and the road along the gorge runs parallel to the Rio Grande.

Also, the ride along Hwy 160 from Walsenberg west is quite beautiful as well.
Of course, in August, the weather will be far milder than in the winter!

Old 03-18-2008, 03:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
The "Enchanted Circle" is what caused me to fall in love with NM. I'm still trying to move there.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:56 PM

117 posts, read 531,851 times
Default Eastern mountains??

Can I revive my old post??

Still on the opposite side of the country and still planning and dreaming. It is possible that job changes will require us to be near- a 45 min drive is OK - to ABQ airport or Colorado Springs airport. We still keep tossing between NM and Pueblo area of southern Colorado. affordability of land is one issue. Looking at the Eastern Mountains - and realising that we need to tailor our dream to maybe only 10 acres...any input on the personality of the area around Eastern Mountains would really be appreciated.

Another piece of the pie is that we would like to be able over time to invest in affordable rental properties. I am sure both ABQ and Pueblo are going to offer affordable rental investments, but if anyone has any insight on being a landlord in either area and be happy to share their input, it would be most welcomed.
Thanks

Old 07-29-2008, 07:26 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,988,622 times
Wink Near ABQ

Even if New Mexico enjoys some beautiful mountains, I'd say Colorado is the place for real mountains, and New Mexico the best choice in culture. In certain areas of New Mexico those considered 'strange' elsewhere are the norm. Kind of refreshing. Fantastic art. Many people have a real sense of the land and spirit.

If Albuquerque, NM is ground zero, there are affordable options, if not always in the mountains. While the Sandia mountains are beautiful, I've always preferred other mountain areas of the State over their eastern flank. But you may, and possibly only problem the growing prevalence of pricey housing in that area, and dealing with I-40 and its traffic during certain times in the winter.

Madrid, NM, on NM 14, may be a bit farther than you wish to travel, and maybe too dry as well. But it certainly has a funky small town sort of charm.

Although you might, due culture or lack thereof and the landscape, points to the south or west of ABQ might be of little interest to you. Some people like it.

Placitas, NM might be an option. Being situated near Bernalillo, NM, near the intersection with US 550 and I-25, it offers relatively easy access into ABQ, yet a remote feeling. As far as commuting goes, one does have to deal with more than a few gravel trucks, but crossing ABQ to the airport on I-25 would usually be easy. The newer town of Placitas, closer to the interstate, is a rural suburbia of sorts with lovely adobe style houses, and fairly expensive. A bit further up the road is old Placitas. An entirely different enchilada. Think different. There is also a newer residential complex beyond it, but basically just this simple small town. The kind of place where either you'll fit in, or want to leave.

Maybe also something near Cochiti Lake, accessed off I-25 between ABQ and Santa Fe, NM. Maybe not the small community of Cochiti, NM, but a bit beyond where the mountains begin, past the golf course. Not well known, and one might find something with a reasonable price.

Might as well mention Santa Fe. Expensive, yes. Lots of pluses, of course. One might live outside of town in the mountains, and this perhaps possible on a modest budget. Santa Fe is but an hour's drive from ABQ. Believe there is serious talk of building a commuter train of sorts between ABQ and Santa Fe. Then also, there is a regional airport in Santa Fe, since it is the State capitol.

Sure you will, but do stop in Taos, NM and Santa Fe on your way south, if nothing else as points of reference.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceankidz View Post
I know that there is nothing to replace time spent in a place. We have certainly done that in Colorado and like what we have found so far in the Pueblo, Westcliffe, Florence area. But, have never visited NM and do plan to do so before making a final decision.

What we are looking for:

( Who we are) Family with kids at home - mid 40's - one ready for college, homeschooling our middle schooler - would prefer in state college and believe there is an agreement between NM and CO.

Rural, small town where people have time to chat, have a cuppa coffee, and not feel threatened or be stand offish because you were not born and bred in the State or for that matter the USA! Want to get involved with the community.

Weather - not too much of an issue, ready for a challenge of the snow or the sun.
Employment : would like to start something on our own - plumbing or aviation or both!

Cost of living: reasonable! would like to be able to afford to buy some rental investment properties, not to flip but to keep for the long run.

Southern NM looks well worth considering - so why might you choose Colorado or New Mexico?

Thanks for helping and sharing your ideas.

I think you should take a look at Silver City. That's kind of neat small town.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:30 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,598,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think you should take a look at Silver City. That's kind of neat small town.
I'll second that. It's a bit isolated and you'd need to go ~150 miles to get to a big airport, but it is a funky town of ~10k in a beautiful area. Great climate... awesome mountains and wilderness. Good mix of hippies, miners, ranchers, Californians, etc... getting kinda expensive from the latter...

Old 07-30-2008, 04:57 AM

908 posts, read 2,854,320 times
I think about the state school requirement and in my mind that points to Albuquerque (UNM), Los Lunas/Bosque Farms/Belen (UNM Valencia), Portales (Eastern NMU), Socorro (New Mexico Tech) and Las Cruces (NMSU). An East Mountain choice puts you in a rural/artsy kind of area with sailplane flying at the Moriarity airport and relatively close to the economic engine in Albuquerque. The Bosque Farms/Los Lunas/Belen corridor puts you near two general aviation fields (mid-valley in Los Lunas and Alexander in Belen) and within a reasonable drive of Double Eagle airport (on Albuquerque's west mesa) and the Sunport. It's very rural and with the recent addition of Rail Runner service to Belen, even more convenient to Albuquerque. a lot of areas with that 'cuppa coffee' feel as there are plenty of horse people down there, and they tend to be the 'cuppa coffee' kind of folks. Also, one of...if not the largest local honey producers is in Los Lunas and there are quite a few working hives in Bosque Farms.

Sunport: Jet service, FBO Cutter, Eclipse Aviation (VLJ manufacturer)

Double Eagle:Gen Av and turboprop commuters. FBO Bode Aviation.

Alexander: Sky diving operation and prop shop

Mid-Valley: small Gen-av shop, but mostly just a fly-in community.

Moriarity: known for it's sail plane ops. Guy on the field had his ticket signed by Orville!

Las Vegas has come up a few times, but I don't see it as a good fit for you. I just think it misses on some of your key requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico