Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 06:24 PM

117 posts, read 532,052 times

Advertisements

Well it count down time - 2 weeks to go and we will be seeing New Mexico for ourselves. Planning on making the trip all the way down to Las Cruces - hope that this whirlwind tour is going to be enough to even absorb and taste the flavour and culture of what so far seems to be a fasinating state. Thanks to all the generous people who share their thoughts on this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 03:12 PM

Smile Loved NM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Don't expect to see much, if any, green in the higher areas by mid-October. The aspen will likely be well past peak. In a lot of years, the trees in the high country are bare by mid-October. The lower areas may be browning-up considerably by then, too. On the plus side, the weather tends to be very nice--albeit with an early snowstorm possible up in the mountains.

It's probably good that you are coming then, because you will see what the region looks like for at least 6-8 months out of the year. If you like it, good. But if you don't--well, you'll know.
We were lucky! We had gorgeous weather and, yes it was brown further south but Taos was still green. Wow there was just not enough time to absorb it all, each new stop was a pleasure. Actually quite taken with Santa Fe and northern ABQ - liked Corralles and Placitas...of course there is so much more to see further south. We did not make it beyond ABQ but did see enough to decide that for now, we would choose New Mexico. It would be a step in the "west" direction.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:15 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,574,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceankidz View Post
Thanks I am listening to the advice about the weather and the attitude...attitude and culture are a big issue for us - we raised our family on a sailboat in the Caribbean after leaving South Africa , spent a year living in the Dominican Republic (loved it) and for some we are just "strange". I know that I am dreaming about living at 9000ft not being a problem - and yes we need to think of later years. If you know Westcliffe - which is where we were thinking of purchasing 35 acres - loved the small town - 800 people plus but close proximity to Pueblo and Colorado Springs - would T or C been a comparison - should we be looking south or north in NM -loved the Sangre de Cristo mountains, would like to be able to grow something, maybe keep bees and see the mountains,? Just ready for a rural lifestyle! Tired of 5 years of suburbia after the open oceans..

I'm just a few years away from retiring, and I spent several road trips in recent years researching possible retirement locations in S Colorado. But this past summer, I located and bought my retirement get-away-from-it-all place in the Sacramento Mtns of SE New Mexico. It's pine forest and Rocky Mtn scenery w/o the long harsh winters in Colorado. Much of S New Mexico is high desert, but there are some very charming small mountain communities that may be what you're looking for. Ruidoso and Cloudcroft would be a couple to start with. The climate is nearly ideal, for my taste, anyway. Cool enough in the summer to live comfortably w/o air conditioning. Some cold in the winter, but with lots of sunshine and a shorter winter season.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,204,174 times
Exactly what I would do, Old Gringo. Like you, I find the winters too severe in Colorado, although some of it is beautiful. But why suffer? It just flat gets too cold.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:37 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,642,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceankidz View Post
We were lucky! We had gorgeous weather and, yes it was brown further south but Taos was still green. Wow there was just not enough time to absorb it all, each new stop was a pleasure. Actually quite taken with Santa Fe and northern ABQ - liked Corralles and Placitas...of course there is so much more to see further south. We did not make it beyond ABQ but did see enough to decide that for now, we would choose New Mexico. It would be a step in the "west" direction.
Glad all went well for you all Oceankidz !!!

By the way there are year around green trees in the higher elevations in New Mexico as we have Pine Trees, Douglas Firs and Spruce Christmas Trees).

File:Pinus pinaster.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Pine Trees

File:Pseudotsuga menziesii 28236.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Douglas Firs

File:Picea abies.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Spruce Trees

Old 12-26-2008, 12:35 PM

5 posts, read 15,370 times
Default Colorado versus New Mexico

We had the same dilemma and compared Pagosa Springs, Co to Chama, New Mexico. The realtors in Pagosa weren't very complimentary about Chama but we ultimately selected Chama. We liked the small town culture yet close enough to Pagosa to make weekly trips for the bigger town atmosphere. We are horse people so lots of riding areas which was a big draw for us. Check Chama out before you decide.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:58 PM

well decision made! Certainly took awhile, but our new home will be in Tijeras, East Mountains for the first year. All of 7000ft and rural. And only four weeks to pack. Nervous, but excited about all the new territory to explore. Thanks again to all who shared. We will keep you posted once we are settled in.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:18 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,033,341 times
Great choice oceankidz!!!

Tijeras would be right near the top of my list too, but I have health problems and didn't want to be in a location even that remote. If I were 20 or 30 years younger, I might be headed to Tijeras too.

It's one of THE MOST gorgeous parts of New Mexico -- I am really excited for you and anxious to hear more about your move to the Land of Enchantment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico