Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 01:30 PM

859 posts, read 1,367,961 times

Advertisements

I discovered the dollar store for buying Christmas items like cookie tins, wrapping paper, ribbon - spent $20 that would have cost me at least twice that at other stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 04:51 PM

534 posts, read 492,355 times
This article very apropos for this thread!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-rural-america

Old 01-09-2018, 05:08 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,622,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typical_guinea_pig View Post
This article very apropos for this thread!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-rural-america
“Essentially what the dollar stores are betting on in a large way is that we are going to have a permanent underclass in America”

Old 01-10-2018, 07:59 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,259,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
“Essentially what the dollar stores are betting on in a large way is that we are going to have a permanent underclass in America”
I'd say they're tardy to the party if they're speculating. There's long been one.
And for what it's worth, here in Socorro college professors and other non-underclass types also shop at the Dollar General and Family Dollar. You just work with what you're given, so you don't have to drive an hour somewhere.
It's also a way to avoid the local WalMart, though supporting Dollar General is also somewhat hypocrisy, though in my estimation the better choice.
I do agree, however, that it's a sign of a loss of mom-and-pop small town stores. It's getting harder and harder to do what's right, without substantially overpaying or driving far away to a place with "local" options. As stated before, in Socorro and towns smaller there's little choices, if at all.

Last edited by kpl1228; 01-10-2018 at 08:07 AM..

Old 01-10-2018, 10:38 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,622,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
I do agree, however, that it's a sign of a loss of mom-and-pop small town stores.
The problem is that the prices they *pay* for items are much higher. The wholesale distribution is the real killer. I wouldn't be surprised of there were some anti-trust shenanigans going on.

The thing I have more experience with is bike shops. For some reason wholesale distributors in the US have higher prices than retail sellers in Europe. Yes, not China, Europe! I routinely by stuff from the UK with free shipping even, than is less than a local shop pays wholesale. How can they stay in business? They usually don't, unless they are a big chain outfit and can negotiate direct lower prices with the manufacturer, bypassing the middle man. Or just make money on repairs.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:35 PM

102,310 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
Elko, the Neighborhood Walmart is near the top end of Indian Wells and will be handy to you. I am in Granada Hills so it is less than a half mile. I get my gas there.
I guess I should stick my mug in the door of one of these dollar stores one o' these days just to see what the attraction is. Or maybe I will let it remain a mystery. I went into a Big Lots once and needed a stiff drink when I got out ...
I see them mainly in Hispanic neighborhoods. I can't handle all the chemical fumes from the densely-packed-together products. It's like walls of detergents, soaps, cleaning chemicals, etc. I can't breathe in there.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:11 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,292,576 times
Have one right around the corner from my house and I'm there several times a week picking up stuff. My normal buys there are paper towels, tp, laundry and dish soap, canned dog food and milk bones. They have these things at the same price as Walmart and much cheaper than the other grocery stores like Albertsons. They're nice people that work there too. Seems like they are well treated.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:05 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,549,205 times
Have one right around the corner from my house and I'm there several times a week picking up stuff. My normal buys there are paper towels, tp, laundry and dish soap, canned dog food and milk bones. They have these things at the same price as Walmart and much cheaper than the other grocery stores like Albertsons. They're nice people that work there too. Seems like they are well treated.

The prices are hard to beat and the workers are nice - most of them keep their attitudes up for the work they do - I always treat them with respect - these small 5 and dime stores are nice ta have when we don't feel like the entire Wal*Mart experience.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:13 AM

356 posts, read 508,593 times
I used to be a Walmart snob, but living in Alamo has cured me of that. I get a lot of smiles and good humor from the associates at the two stores here -- and I see that Walmart is commendably raising its minimum wage to $11 an hour, in a state where the legal minimum is $7.50. I have to respect that.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:04 AM

3,768 posts, read 5,890,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
I used to be a Walmart snob, but living in Alamo has cured me of that. I get a lot of smiles and good humor from the associates at the two stores here -- and I see that Walmart is commendably raising its minimum wage to $11 an hour, in a state where the legal minimum is $7.50. I have to respect that.
Off Topic: Sort of the same thing for me. Used to only go to Target but Target doesn't always have everything I need so I end up having to make a trip to someplace else ( ie. Walmart). I have found the employees to be helpful. We have Straight Talk for our iPhones with a much better deal than Verizon.

I do think that the dollar stores are a big help and I have bought milk and other one item purchases there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico